The Torian Empire [Recruiting]

Theroc

First Post
Thokel sat on a bench in the dark, the very walls and ceiling rumbling as he contemplated, praying to his gods that he would prove victorious and win over the crowds this day, the man's pale green skin covered in links of chain enmeshed with scraps of hide, a shoddy shortsword in a sheath at his waist, a longsword resting in his hands as he rises, picking up his sheath as he stood before an incredibly large gate.

The rumbling ceased as the gate began to open, Thokel's eyes adjusting to the entering light as he readied his shield, and began to slap the flat of his longsword against the shield, slowly building up the tempo until the gate was entirely opened, stepping out with a bellowing roar, raising his arms toward the crowd, begging for their blessing as the entire arena shook with cheers as Thokel's opponent entered the field. A lone minotaur stepped out from the other side of the arena, and Thokel, adrenaline pumping, bellowed again and charged forward.

GLORY TO TORIA!
Came the battle-cry, and the match had begun!

Toria is a large empire covering the majority of the largest continent of the world. While it was once a very militant empire, constantly warring for expansion, as it has essentially all worthwhile land, the military presence was no longer as necessary. To prevent unrest in both soldiers and populace, the Emperor a few generations prior had initiated the Arenas to entertain the populace, and keep fighting skill sharp, should war ever become necessary.

While some aspects of Toria are unsavory, it is not entirely cruel. However, those who cannot pay their debts find themselves indentured servants and are most frequently used to provide whatever city they were indebted in entertainment as a gladiator in the games. While many were brought against their will, many stay after earning their freedom. The honor and glory earned in the arenas is unequaled in any other pursuit, outside warfare, which hasn't occurred in over one hundred years.

This campaign is gladiatorial based, and will be working under the assumption that the PC are conscripted to fight in the games, for one or more matches before they are 'free' to go. However, the Arena has an allure unlike anything in the empire.

As this is my first game, don't expect me to be an expert on things, particularly the things players don't generally deal with. I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes, but hopefully we all have some fun and I get a better grip on crafting a story.

Questions and comments can go http://www.enworld.org/forum/talkin...-dming-game-interest-check-5.html#post5320552
there for now, until this thread is fully ready for use.

So far I have:
[More specific ideas]
Solosaddie (Goliath [Dragon Shaman?])
Voda Vosa (Human Fighter)
Dragonwriter (Wild Elf Warlock)

[General interest]
Lughart(PC)
Ethandrew(PC and/or Co-DM help)
Holyman(PC)
WD(PC if needed)
Glasseye (PC)

If anyone else had something up and I missed it, please put it here. We can keep questions and the like in the other thread for now, helping keep things organized will make things MUCH easier on me.

Chargen:
Sources - Completes(Save Psionic), PHB1&2
Others at my discretion, the fewer the better
Level 1 [LA can be worked out as a 'racial class']
38 Point Buy
Minimum starting gold by class. For Warlocks/Warmages/Wu Jen, calculate as if you were a sorcerer

House Rules: Adding "Perform: Gladiatorum" This check can be used to improve a crowds attitude towards the performer, occasionally granting morale bonuses in combat if successful... can also turn the crowd against their adversaries on occasion.

I think that's about it for now... I realize it's not much without the fluff, so I'll be adding that as soon as I get the chance/muse.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Still needs money.

Code:
 Name: Tuk "Heavy hand" Apeldan
Class: Fighter
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Alignment: Neutral 

Str: 18 +4 (16p.)     Level: 1        XP: 0
Dex: 16 +3 (10p.)     BAB: +1         HP: 12 (1d10+2)
Con: 14 +2 (6p.)     Grapple: +5     Dmg Red: 0
Int: 10 +0 (2p.)     Speed: 30'(-10)      Spell Res: 0
Wis: 10 +0 (2p.)     Init: +3      Spell Save: +0
Cha: 10 +0 (2p.)     ACP: -4         Spell Fail: 0%

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:          10    +4    +0    +3    +0    +0    +0    17
Touch: 13              Flatfooted: 14

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                      2     +2          +4
Ref:                       0     +3          +3
Will:                      0     +0          +0

Weapon                Attack   Damage     Critical
Spiked Chain            +5      2d4+6      x2
Net                     +4       -         -
Sling                   +4      1d4+4      x2

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Abilities: 
Human:     
*  Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Human base land speed is 30 feet.
* 1 extra feat at 1st level.
* 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
* Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
* Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Feats: Exotic weapon prof. Power attack. Cleave 

Skills               Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
Climb                  4    +4          +8
Intimidate             4    +0          +4
Jump                   4    +4          +8 

Equipment:            
Scale armor           50gp   30lb
Shield, large, wooden 7gp    10lb
Chain spiked          25gp   10lb    
Net                   20gp   6lb 
Sling                  1gp
Bullets
Bed roll
Flint and steel
Iron pot	
X days of trail ration
Waterskin

Money:

Lughart

First Post
Code:
Name: Uuden Tenger
Class: Barbarian
Race: Human
Size: M
Alignment: CE
Deity: ?

Str: 16 +3 (10p.)     Level: 1        XP: 225
Dex: 16 +3 (10p.)     BAB: +1         HP: 13 (1d12+1)
Con: 12 +1 (04p.)     Grapple: +4     Dmg Red: 0/0
Int: 12 +1 (04p.)     Speed: 40'      Spell Res: 0
Wis: 10 +0 (02p.)     Init: +7        Spell Save: NA 
Cha: 15 +2 (08p.)     ACP: -2         Arcane Spell Fail: NA

Base  Armor Shld   Dex   DB   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:              10    +4    +0    +3    +0    +0    +0    17
Touch: 13              Flatfooted: 14

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                      2    +1          +3
Ref:                       0    +3          +3
Will:                      0    +0          +0

Weapon                  Attack   Damage   Range  Critical
Great Sword               +4     2d6+4       -   19-20/x2
Javelin                   +4     1d6+3     30ft     x2

Languages: Common

Feats: Power attack, improved initiative

Special abilities: Rage 1/day, fast movement, illiteracy

Skill Points: 24       Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
Intimidate                 4    +2          +6
Jump                       4    +3    -2    +5
Climb                      2    +3    -2    +3
Listen                     4    +0          +4
Hide(cc)                   2    +3    -2    +3
Move Silently(cc)          2    +3    -2    +3
Literacy                   2

Equipment:               Cost  Weight

Chain Shirt              100gp   25lb
Glaive                    50gp    8lb
Javelin x3                 3gp    6lb
Clothing                   -      - 

Total Weight:39lb      Money: 79gp 0sp 0cp

Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push
Max Weight:                 76   153   230   460  1150

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 134lb
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black
Skin: Tan
Description: A short and muscular man, with long black dreadlocks, teeth filed to sharp points and most of his dark skin covered in tattoos.

Uuden is a warrior from one of Torias more remote provinces. His clansmen were once honored soldiers, fighting against the Torians, and later for them as they became part of the empire. After the end of the wars, the warriors of clan Tenger has become little more than thugs and killers for hire.

The Tenger clansmen are proud and loyal to their families, and sometimes go to extremes to avenge slights others might see as trivial. Uuden himself was arrested for killing a man in an unlawful duel. After witnessing the tremendous amount of struggle he put up to avoid incarceration, the responsible official decided to send him to the arena instead of the gallows.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=Miriakon Velesennia, Wild Elf Warlock]
Name: Miriakon Velesennia

Race: Wild Elf
Class: Warlock
Level: 1
ECL: +0 mod/total 1
XPs: 0 current/1000 next level

Patron God: None
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
===================================
Str: 12 (4 points)
Dex: 18 (10 points +2 racial)
Con: 14 (6 points)
Int: 12 (6 points -2 racial)
Wis: 10 (2 points)
Cha: 16 (10 points)
HP: 8 (d6+2)
AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +0 Size, +2 Armor, +0 Shield)
Init: +4
Speed: 30 feet
BAB: +0
Mel: +1
Rng: +4
Fort: +0+2
Refl: +0+4
Will: +2+0
Special Abilities
Race: Immunity to Sleep effects, +2 racial bonus on saves against enchantment spells/effects, low-light vision, racial weapon proficiency: longsword, rapier, longbow and shortbow (including composite bows), +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.

Class: Eldritch Blast 1d6, Invocations (least)

Other:

Feats: Point Blank Shot (1st)

Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan

Skills
Trained or Untrained: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Bluff +7 (=4+3+0)
Concentration +6 (=4+2+0)

Trained Only: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Use Magic Device +7 (=4+3+0)
Magic Items (location, weight): None

Other Equipment:
Weapons: 2 daggers +1 melee (1d4+1, Piercing or Slashing, 19-20/x2, 10 ft. range increment, 2 GP each, 1 lb each)
Longspear +1 melee (1d8+1, Piercing, x3, Reach, 5 GP, 9 lbs)

Armor, Clothes: Leather Armor (+2 AC, Max DEX +6, 0 ACP, 10 GP, 15 lbs)

-----------------------------------
Money
PP: 0
GP: 11
SP: 0
CP: 0
Gems/Other: 0
-----------------------------------
Load
Light: 0-43 lbs.
Medium: 44-86 lbs.
Heavy: 87-130 lbs.
Current: 26 lbs.
Invocations
Caster Level: 1
Least: Baleful Utterance
Lesser:
Greater:
Dark:
Description (include Age, gender, height, weight, physical description):
Miriakon is a spidery elf. At 5’5” and 90 pounds, she seems almost entirely skin and bones. Her auburn hair is always loose and unkempt, framing a gaunt face from which yellow-green eyes stare. For an elf of 120 years, she also does not act like one. Things always seem new to her, for some reason or another, and new things are often met with suspicion. Her silky smooth voice can frighten just as easily as lull. Her skin is unusually pale for a Wild Elf. Or at least, it would be if you could see it, rather than the myriad tattoos covering her entire body. And when she walks in her strange, twitching manner, the tattoos almost seem alive…
History: Miriakon Velesennia has been beyond strange since birth. As a child, she didn’t laugh at the same things as other children. She didn’t enjoy games with them, or even their company. She would sit in her home, staring into one particular mirror. As she grew, this practice did not change. When her family tried to make a mage out of her (it ran in the family, since her great-grandfather had suddenly risen through the ranks of wizardry), she reacted violently, suddenly calling up bolts of strange energy and breaking things all around the house.
After the rest of the family got out, a team of anti-mages was sent in to subdue her. She would not relent, and it seemed she had powers different than a sorcerer… The elf high-mages wanted to see exactly what she could do, so they had her sent to the arena for practical tests.
[/sblock]

SolosAddie

Explorer
*Kam Cloudseeker*

Male Goliath Dragon Shaman 1 (copper dragon shaman)
Chaotic Neutral
Representing Mark

Before racials: 18, 10, 16, 8, 10, 15. Goliaths +4str, -2 dex, +2 con, not sure what you want to add at 1st

Strength 22 (+6)
Dexterity 8 (-1)
Constitution 18 (+4)
Intelligence 8 (-1)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 15 (+2)

Size: Medium
Height: 7' 6"
Weight: 65 lb
Skin: Gray
Eyes: Blue
Hair: None; Beardless

Total Hit Points: 14

Speed: 20 feet [armor]

Armor Class: 16 = 10 +5 [chainmail] +2 [heavy wooden] -1 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 9
Flat-footed: 16

Initiative modifier: +3 = -1 [dexterity] +4 [improved initiative]
Fortitude save: +6 = 2 [base] +4 [constitution]
Reflex save: -1 = 0 [base] -1 [dexterity]
Will save: +2 = 2 [base]
Attack (handheld): +6 = 0 [base] +6 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +6 = 0 [base] +6 [strength]
Attack (missile): -1 = 0 [base] -1 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +6 = 0 [base] +6 [strength]

Light load: 173 lb. or less
Medium load: 174-346 lb.
Heavy load: 347-520 lb.
Lift over head: 520 lb.
Lift off ground: 1040 lb.
Push or drag: 2600 lb.

Languages: Common Goliath

Long Spear [1d8, crit x3, 9 lb., two-handed, piercing]

Quarterstaff [1d6/1d6, crit x2, 4 lb., two-handed, bludgeoning]

Spear [1d8, crit x3, range incr 20 ft., 6 lb., two-handed, piercing]

Hide armor [medium; +3 AC; max dex +4; check penalty -3; 25 lb.]

Heavy Wooden Shield [+2 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 5; hp 15; 10 lb.]

Feats:

Improved Initiative

Auras: Vigor (grants self and allies within 30ft fast healing 1 up to half health)
Senses (+1 spot, listen and init for same)
Energy Shield (1 acid damage to successful attackers with natural weapons or non reach weapons)

Skill points: 2 ranks in jump, 2 ranks in bluff

Kam Cloudseeker does not speak much of his life before the arena, but some things are clear. Kam was part of a goliath tribe that roamed the western mountain range of the empire, living a lifestyle that most would term primitive in the extreme but his tribe of the eagle, lived and even thrived for the most part, and was rather famous (among goliath tribes) for producing many and powerful clerics, druids and other shamans.

As Kam grew, his skin markings, marked him out as another potential shaman, and as he entered young adulthood, set off on a solo journey of discovery. On this journey he would discover which if he was to be a speaker of the earth, a representative of a god, or something else.

Always seeking the sky, Kam set off to scale the nearest peak. After several days travel, Kam was to receive his omen. A fully grown copper dragon, flew, dove and took a fully grown elk down the valley. Entranced by the speed and power, Kam took this as his sign and went to find the dragon. A few weeks later he managed to find the correct canyon and path through the maze. Perhaps amused, or impressed the copper dragon, granted Kam's request and set him on the path of the dragon shaman.

Moving back to his tribe, they had since moved on, and Kam knew he had long weeks of travel to catch up. On this trip back disaster befell. A mixed gang of ogres, half-ogres and humans, ruffians who caught him. Chained, beaten down, and sold to a second-hand run down arena. Having faked papers of an enormous debt owed, Kam fought, made a bit of a name and was sold/transferred further and further in the empire. Now at the main arena, his debt is almost up, his current plan is to earn some travelling wages once he's debt-free, and then possibly explore the Empire, perhaps pay a visit to a certain run-down arena when he makes his way back to his tribal lands.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Does anyone have suggestions for laying out a map setup? I'd heard of ASCII or something like that.

I'm pretty sure some basic form of map would be important for keeping track of positioning. >.> Once I have that I can get setting up your encounter.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I don't need a special webhosting website to do upload it do I? I could upload straight to Enworld, yeah?

Well I suggest saving the pics as JPG's* but yeah, you can do that straight up with paint. And yup, you can upload them straight to ENW.

*BMP's take more space and occasionally I've had problems opening them when someone has uploaded that format.

Remove ads