SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: +1 or better weapon to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Average
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: L (8’)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Level/XP Value: VII/3,650

These minions of the wind gods can be summoned by them in numbers of up to 100 every day. They have black skin, large bat wings, clawed feet (which they use in battle), and a tusked monkey’s head. They exist to fight for the gods, attacking as 11 hit dice monsters.

Originally appeared in Deities and Demigods Cyclopedia (1980).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since we compared the marut to astral devas, we can compare these to monadic devas: Str 20, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 19

Obviously, the mental scores will need to lessen to meet the Average Int.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wait a sec...I just looked over the Spirit of the Air in the 3e Fiend Folio, and I think these may be one and the same. :confused:

Anyone disagree?

Cleon

Legend
The marut's little brother?

Spirits of the Air
Flying Monkeys!

Hold on, isn't there a Planescape version of these for AD&D 2E?

Yes there is, they're in the Planescape Campaign Setting (1994).

Oh, and as Shade said these already have official 3.0 stats in the Fiend Folio. So, there no call to convert it, although their official 3.0 stats are a bit lacking in my not-so-humble opinion. They should have Perfect flight, for a start, and the original's 2-20 damage per attack suggests a much higher strength and a mightier weapon than the Fiend Folio version's Str 19 and 1d8+5 damage mace.

Still, if someone wants to do another conversion of it, or just update it to 3.5, I'm OK with that too.

I'll leave it to Freyar to decide. :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
We can't update official 3e creatures to 3.5 and post 'em in the Creature Catalogue (unless we want to get shut down!), so I'd recommend we just move on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases