proposal: adjustment to time XP

FourMonos

First Post
Are there really adventures out there where in 4 months, there are not 3 same level encounters (or 2 harder encounters) including skill challenges? Are there really PCs that are not advancing at least 2 levels per real year and more typically, 3 or 4 levels per real year (considering that 1.2 levels are automatic)?

Yes there are. http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-eberron/275438-adv-rhapsody-judge-renau1g.html

Five months, one skill challenge and one really long encounter. And through no fault of his own, Scorpius is unavailable. The timing is bad because Neurotic and CaBaNa just joined and are stuck with the others of us until Scorpius is available.
I'm not saying that I'm in favor either way of the proposal, but everybodies experience in PbP is different.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DM RPs are not doubled: They get double the RPs awarded normally. We can check that wording later.

In RP heavy games (there are a few), it may be a month before any encounters occur. It was about that much in my game here. Remember, we added the "4 RP for a new character rule" because of that game (no one had earned enough XP to level even though there were challenges). While I didn't post every day, it was brisk enough (not as much now with the semester, but summer is always faster).

Games will happen at different rates. Unless judges enforce a posting rate and encounter frequency (and I don't see how other than kicking out the DM and our players that are slow, which is not necessarily fun for anyone involved), there will be a discrepancy. Doubling/tripling, etc, RP will never address that issue (as all games are affected equally). Changing the value of an RP can only change what we feel is the "minimum" rate of level accumulation in the game.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yes there are. http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-eberron/275438-adv-rhapsody-judge-renau1g.html

Five months, one skill challenge and one really long encounter. And through no fault of his own, Scorpius is unavailable. The timing is bad because Neurotic and CaBaNa just joined and are stuck with the others of us until Scorpius is available.
I'm not saying that I'm in favor either way of the proposal, but everybodies experience in PbP is different.

Actually, this adventure is not too far off the norm that I mentioned and you replied to.

A skill challenge, a 12 round encounter (which by definition, is probably a really difficult encounter), and a start of another encounter, all in 4 months. XP-wise, that's pretty darn close to the 3 same level encounters in 4 months that most games tend to experience (at least the ones I've read).

Your DM has disappeared for a month and that sucks, but until that happened, your adventure was running along pretty much at the same rate as most adventures. I do think that renau1g should probably step in after a month of the DM being offline and have renau1g at least end the current encounter.

renau1g

First Post
DM RPs are not doubled: They get double the RPs awarded normally. We can check that wording later.

In RP heavy games (there are a few), it may be a month before any encounters occur. It was about that much in my game here. Remember, we added the "4 RP for a new character rule" because of that game (no one had earned enough XP to level even though there were challenges). While I didn't post every day, it was brisk enough (not as much now with the semester, but summer is always faster).

In Cannith we started in Jan and I believe in April we were just starting our 2nd encounter.

re: DM RP's being doubled, your wording is better, "DMs earn 2 RPs per month of adventure" LEB:Rewards - ENWorld Living Eberron Wiki

evilbob

Explorer
SO! Since discussion has slowed down and everyone likes options, I'll reword my proposal a bit to see if this can trigger some voting. How about:

A) Double value of RP points
This applies to all point across the board, including those already earned; effectively, 1 RP = two monsters of your level, and only 5 RPs would be required to earn a parcel + 1/5 item gold. DM rewards of 2 RPs / month would remain the same; 4 RPs to be allowed a 2nd character would be the same; other rewards based on RPs would remain the same. All RP points would be doubled in value the moment this passed.

B) Double RP rewards
RPs would still = 1 monster of your level, but players would earn 2 RPs / mo and DMs would earn 4 RPs / mo. 10 RPs would still be required for a parcel/gold. 8 RPs (unless otherwise changed) would be required to start a 2nd character; other rewards based on RPs would be doubled in cost. Double RP rewards would start for the month this was passed (as early as this month, September).

Voters?

twilsemail

First Post
B) Double RP rewards
RPs would still = 1 monster of your level, but players would earn 2 RPs / mo and DMs would earn 4 RPs / mo. 10 RPs would still be required for a parcel/gold. 8 RPs (unless otherwise changed) would be required to start a 2nd character; other rewards based on RPs would be doubled in cost. Double RP rewards would start for the month this was passed (as early as this month, September).

Would this be grandfathered? If someone has been in an adventure for the last 6 months do they get 12 RP? Or would the 2/month start after the passing of the proposal?

LadyLaw

First Post
After the passing of the proposal, twil. That's what he meant by "Double RP rewards would start for the month this was passed."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I vote NO on this proposal. It actually rewards players for posting at a slower rate. When dollars are handed out to everyone in society for free, the value of a dollar decreases.

evilbob

Explorer
I think the dis-incentive for posting at a slower rate is already pretty obvious, but fair enough. :)

Just to clarify, I will take that as a NO to both A and B.

Remove ads