casting 2 spells in one round

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I've heard that somewhere in print it says you cannot cast 2 spells in one round, no matter what (in our group the question arises from being hasted) . I've searched and can't seem to find this.

Anyone have any info on where I can find this?

Thanks!

dcollins

Explorer
That was a rule in previous editions of the D&D game.

In the current rules you are definitely allowed to cast a second spell with your haste action.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
You may be thinking of the rule that says you cannot cast more than 1 Quickened spell in one round. But you can cast as many spells in one round as the rules allow. For example, if you are hasted you can cast 2 1-action spells during that round, plus one Quickened spell (unless you are a sorcerer or bard, of course).

Apok

First Post
To go a step further...

Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 action is a Standard action, so you can cast a spell & move or move & cast a spell. The Haste spell gives you an extra partial action each round. With a partial action, you can perform any action you can normally do with a Standard action minus a move. Ergo, you may indeed cast two spells in a round with Haste, provied the casting time for each was 1 action.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Actually, I am playing a sorcerer..

This issue is coming from our resident fighter, our tank, who's butt has been saved from me casting two fireballs in one round.

Maybe he is jealous because he can't do 6D8 points of damage to multiple monsters at once? (Which is a trade off because he has like, +9000 to hit). Anyway, who knows.

Thanks so much for the info!

Apok

First Post
Queenie122 said:

This issue is coming from our resident fighter, our tank, who's butt has been saved from me casting two fireballs in one round.

Maybe he is jealous because he can't do 6D8 points of damage to multiple monsters at once? (Which is a trade off because he has like, +9000 to hit). Anyway, who knows.

Ah, a fighter with spell-envy. ;) :D

Yeah, it's only natural for the front-liners to stand agape at the nastiness of Haste + Spellcasting but it'll wear off. Remember, when casting 2 spells each round you are depleting your spells twice as fast so you won't be as much use once you've exhausted your spells for the day. That's when the frontliners really need to step up and start swinging. Also, if this campaign of yours ever gets into the higher levels (17+) and the DM allows spells like Belsamath's Blessing and Strength of Kadum, be prepared for the fighters to start dishing out 200-400+ points of damage per round using a full-attack. They basically outstrip the damage potential of any spell you can cast until Epic Levels.

Check this out;

Average 18th level Fighter w/ a base 20 Strength (very easy to envision at this level)

BAB = +18 +5 from Str
Belsamath's Blessing into a Weretiger, giving a +12 boost to Str so we're up to a 32 Str. Add in another +18 Enhancement Bonus from Strength of Kadum cast at 18th level for a Strength of 50 and a +20 Strength Mod.

So, 18 + 20 = +38 Attack bonus, not including magical weapon bonuses, Specialization or anything else. If you Power Attack for 10, leaving you with a +28 to Hit, you end up dealing 30 points of damage per attack from Strength alone. Now start adding in bonuses from magical weapons, feats, abilities, charging w/ a lance & rhino hide armor, etc. and you're talking insane ammounts of damage every round.

If you think this is bad, check out some of the archived Sultans of Smack threads. Fear not for the fighter.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Apok said:

Also, if this campaign of yours ever gets into the higher levels (17+) and the DM allows spells like Belsamath's Blessing and Strength of Kadum, be prepared for the fighters to start dishing out 200-400+ points of damage per round using a full-attack. They basically outstrip the damage potential of any spell you can cast until Epic Levels.

We are playing Northern Journeys and from what I heard, if we don't die (which we have all been very very close) we will make it past 20th level. So I'll give the fighter some heads up for what to look forward to!

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Queenie122 said:

Ok, so Quickened spells are out. :D

But your resident fighter is wrong. 3e allows your sorcerer to cast two 1-action spells per round if he is hasted. Quite potent for sorcerers.

When you say 6d8, you are not referring to your fireball spells, right? They only do 1d6 per level.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Dr. Zoom said:

Ok, so Quickened spells are out. :D

But your resident fighter is wrong. 3e allows your sorcerer to cast two 1-action spells per round if he is hasted. Quite potent for sorcerers.

When you say 6d8, you are not referring to your fireball spells, right? They only do 1d6 per level.

Oppss.. I think I wrote that wrong. Chalk it up to being a
newbie :p

Yes, Fireball is 1d6 per level and I am 8th level (bordering on 9th)
so I guess the correct way to say that is 8d6, right?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Right. :D

I recently ran a Hasted 9th level sorcerer against my group. I found that two Magic Missiles per round were very effective, not to mention the fireballs.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases