Converting prehistoric creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I was thinking improved grab and gnaw, actually, since it brings the victims to its mouth. But that's usually associated with a bite attack.

Cleon

Legend
I was thinking improved grab and gnaw, actually, since it brings the victims to its mouth. But that's usually associated with a bite attack.

Aren't we getting away from the original monster a bit. It didn't grapple creatures around its own size, but snatched things off them. It seems to only be able to grab much smaller opponents/victims.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, imp grab is normally limited to critters a size category or more smaller. We could limit it to 2 size categories smaller, but since it hunts by grabbing and then eating things, I think imp grab is appropriate.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, imp grab is normally limited to critters a size category or more smaller. We could limit it to 2 size categories smaller, but since it hunts by grabbing and then eating things, I think imp grab is appropriate.

That works for me.

Cleon

Legend

I still prefer folding the snatching effects together, something like this:

Snatching Claws (Ex): If a yohoia hits an opponent with a claw attack it automatically tries to "snatch" the opponent as a free action and transfer it to its mouthparts. Resolve this special attack as a grapple attempt which does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

If a yohoia succeeds in snatching an opponent 2 or more sizes smaller than itself, it establishes a hold and automatically chews the grappled opponent for X damage on each subsequent rounds.

If a yohoia make a successful snatching claws attack against an opponent bigger than 2 sizes smaller than the yohoia, it steals a randomly selected object held or carried by its opponent. The yohoia transfers the stolen object to its mouthparts and chews it for X damage per round. If the object is even vaguely edible (e.g. iron rations, leather boot, unlucky familiar) the yohoia will continue chewing it until it is destroyed. Should the object proves inedible, the yohoia spits it out after a single round of chewing.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oh, and what are we doing about the Camouflage?

I'm thinking the standard static DC20 version is good enough.

Other transparent creatures usually have a racial bonus on Hide checks. The static DC 20 camouflage is usually reserved for creatures that resemble inanimate objects. I'll see if I can find a precedent or two to determine the amount of the bonus.

Edit: I stand corrected. The g-cube has this...

Transparent (Ex): Gelatinous cubes are hard to see, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice a cube and walk into it are automatically engulfed.

In that case, I'm fine with simply borrowing that ability.

Remove ads