proposal: change death penalty

evilbob

Explorer
Ok, it's getting a little heated so I will submit that we're all jerks (including me) and let's just move on. Also, I would humbly suggest anyone who might be contemplating posting anything that might invoke the ire of mods take a break from this thread for a couple days... :) It's never worth it!

Back to the topic at hand:

There seems to be almost two questions here:
a) should we change the death penalty at all
b) if yes to a, how much

It's certainly possible to discuss both at once but let's keep that in mind just so we don't get too confused.

Along that line: CaBaNa - not surprisingly I would push for a smaller number on the "how much" issue. How about "or 3 RPs"? In fact, I'm good for just changing it to 3 RPs instead of 3 encounters.

What do others think of that model?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Yes, lets not get too heated, folks.

Keep in mind any rule that involves RP will be affected if the double RP proposal goes through.

As for this debate: There should be a penalty for death. I know entire groups that died in L4W and were brought back with nary a complaint about the penalty. Death happens.

I am not currently convinced that changing this is needful. I have not seen evidence that the existence of it has driven anyone away at this point.

Otakkun

Explorer
Why not, Death Penalty; until the character levels, or has earned 4 RP?

I like this idea. Sounds fair enough.

We could just remove the penalty altogether since we're already getting months of punishment instead of a session or two in tabletop gaming.

But then, some people might find that as an incentive to play reckless characters.

CaBaNa

First Post
I agree that there should be a penalty for death, and that it should be scary.

That said, a year of -1 to most any check is a little over the top.

I doubt it would drive someone away entirely, but it could influence their decision to scrap a character.

I'm not asking to lessen the penalty itself, just put a limit on it's possible time-span.

Three milestones, or 4/5/6 months of play, instead of three milestones, or however long it takes.

Otakkun

Explorer
But, I do think your situation is pertinent to this discussion. People seem to be a bit upset over a CDG. Why? Should the DM have NPCs avoid CDGs like the plague? That's what we appear to be really discussing here. Is the group consensus here that "CDGs are ok as long as Raise Dead has no penalties other than the gold"? Should we house rule CDGs out of PBP as well?

Hell no!

Part of the fun is actually being scared of your character dying, otherwise we'd all be playing controller chargers. I like having to think while in a fight, and I also like learning from my mistakes, even if time here is as slow as a turtle.

Having said that, I think that PCs are hard enough to kill already, so please don't soften up our DMs :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases