Steel Dragon's "Tales of Orea"

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Either the party level is higher than I thought or you're using some unusual stats -- do you mind sharing?

Umm. I dunno. What do you think is/was unusual?

The party was all (has attempted to be written as) 1st level characters. The game is an amalgam of 1 and 2e rules with some homebrew rulings (particularly in the working of magic) in the mix. I'd be happy to outline those if you like?

For example, for purposes of the narrative, all characters start 1st level with full hit points +Con. bonuses as applicable. So Alaria had 4hp, Haelan had 8hp, Braddok had 11hp to start.

Following the retrieval of the pearl, everyone except Fen, Coerraine and Erevan has made it to 2nd...so there should be some indications of that in the upcoming installments...really should only notable by the spellcasting abilities of Alaria and Haelan.

A brief breakdown, since I do like/want to avoid "crunch" would be as follows.

Alaria: Mage/2. Hp 7 (up from 4). No armor. Wpn. staff. Spells: 4 0lvl, 3 1lvl (2 1lvl as a 2nd lvl mage +1 from Int. bonus). Magic: Ring of Protection +1, Wand of Lightning Bolts (3 uses), Potion of Water Breathing, Scroll w/2 1lvl spells, scroll w/ 2 2lvl, also carrying the crystalline orb they don't know anything about yet and the small unknown "item" in her package being taken to Welford. (that does seem like an awful lot of magic for a 2nd lvl mage, but I was kind of expecting some of her initial items to get used up by now...it all evens out in the wash.)

Braddok: Fighter/2. Hp 15 (up from 12). Chain & Shield. Wpn. Long sword, Short bow, dagger. Magic: Potion of Water Breathing.

Haelan: Cleric/2. Hp 11 (up from 8). Chain & Shield +1. Wpn. Mace. Spells: 4 1lvl (2 1lvl +2 Wis. bonus). Magic: Shield +1, Potion of Water breathing, carries the Potions of Healing & Neautralize Poison (3 uses each).

Erevan: Fighter-Mage/1-1. Hp 7 (max d10 + max d4 divided by 2, no Con. bonus). Leather. Wpn. Long bow, Long sword, dagger. Spells: 1 1lvl. Magic: Potion of Water Breathing.

Duor: Thief/2. Hp. 13 (up from 9, Duor has a +3 Con bonus). Leather. Wpn. Short sword, Dagger, Dagger +1, Hand crossbow. Thieve's Skills are a bit more "free form" in my game, so Duor is very good with climbing, traps, hiding in shadows...he's..."less good" (otherwise known as "pretty crappy", hahaha) with things like moving silently and pickpocketing. Magic: Dagger +1, Potion of Water Breathing.

Shall I keep going on with this or has this somehow answered your question(s)? :)

wolff96

First Post
Shall I keep going on with this or has this somehow answered your question(s)? :)

It was a water elemental hydra, facing level 1 characters. I didn't realize you were playing a 1E/2E hybrid, so I was kind of shocked that a 1st level party could fight it.

Then again, I'm still kind of suprised that a 1st level party could fight it now that I know you're playing an older system. :)

I was mostly curious about the stats on the monster, but it's fine if you'd rather not share. It wouldn't mean much to me now anyway, as I now know you're working from a different ruleset! So don't bother. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It was a water elemental hydra, facing level 1 characters. I didn't realize you were playing a 1E/2E hybrid, so I was kind of shocked that a 1st level party could fight it.

Then again, I'm still kind of suprised that a 1st level party could fight it now that I know you're playing an older system. :)

I was mostly curious about the stats on the monster, but it's fine if you'd rather not share. It wouldn't mean much to me now anyway, as I now know you're working from a different ruleset! So don't bother. :)

Well, I am writing it to be able to be applied (as I try to do with all things "Orea") system neutral.

Basically, it was an old school "water weird" that I added the hydra-look/properties to just to make it interesting.

For play purposes, any attack that did more than 6hp "dissipated" the neck/head and it was replaced with 2.

It could only be hit be "magic weapons", hence why Coerraine's spear could harm it with the +1 from Haelan's Bless spell, while Fen's spear (prior to the casting) passed right through it.

Also, any attack by the creature that hit by 4 or more on the role counted as an "ensnaring" attack to drag the character underwater to drown them (the basic water weird attack).

In essence, the characters weren't supposed to be able to defeat it. heh heh. I would have been exceptionally surprised if they had been able to defeat it on their own/using sheer force.

As in the story, they were supposed to purify the pearl to win the battle...hence the none too subtle "tip" from Trihna...which Alaria picked up on nicely. :)

Had they not "engaged" it and backed off from the well/pool it was in, it would have dissipated...until they got close again. So, maybe if a party spends some time to step back and analyze the situation instead of just charging in, they might not need the tip.

I'm a pretty firm believer in letting the characters encounter things in the world...not simply "level appropriate" things. Fighting is not always the best course of action in my games. ;)

--SD

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Whether it was the apparent sea-sickness or simply that he was satisfied to be getting the remainder of the treasure at all, Duor put up very little argument when it was proposed that Erevan and Haelan would go collect the rest of the loot from the harpies’ hidden ledge. Coerraine was most adamant on this point, believing the dwarven rogue ought to be “punished” for his obvious “betrayal” of his fellows in pocketing the magical dagger.

“Wonder what he’d expect as penance if he knew about the pouch of gems?” thought Duor. His momentary inner laugh quickly washed over by the nausea of the gently bobbing shallow sailing ship on which he and his companions traveled.

With Erevan and Braddok doing most of the sailing work, they brought the small vessel around the high rocky promontory to the side where they knew a natural opening appeared. It was hoped they might actually bring the ship into the large cavern but their less-than-perfect knowledge of the tides made this impossible. Only the very top of the opening was visible above the water’s surface, not nearly tall or wide enough to allow the ship to enter.

The two "divers" decided it was time to use the water-breathing potions that Tidemaster Kama had given them. Securing themselves to each other with some rope, the elf and halfling quaffed their potions and leaped from the ship. Haelan had removed his armor, both better to swim in and for making himself lighter for Erevan’s magical platform.

Alaria seemed to not be overly concerned by any of the goings on, concentrating heavily on reviewing one of the scrolls from her former master, the wizard Vertior. She lowered the parchment pages in frustration, trying to recall some of her lessons to discern the spell she was attempting to learn. Staring off at the wooded coast of Dragonbone Isle, the R’Hathi wizardess grudgingly admitted to herself that the magic was still beyond her expertise.

A flicker of black among the branches of one of the trees startled Alaria from her thoughts. A panic gripped her as her mind turned immediately to the massive hellhounds that she supposed still roamed the island. The momentary fear was quickly replaced by reason and logic. The small shape flitted from one tree to another before taking wing and rising above the trees to circle briefly and fly off to the north. Merely a raven. “Silly girl.” Alaria berated herself.

Coerraine, had he known Alaria’s mind, would have found it anything but silly as he intently scanned the treeline and the rocky cliff above them, ever vigilant in his knowledge that the “evil” they had been sent to destroy was not, entirely, gone. There were the hell-beasts from which they’d fled. Evil. The dark-robed wizard (or priest?) they had not vanquished. Evil. The two harpy sisters that Alaria had allowed to simply go on their way to wreak what havoc they might on other parts of the realms. Evil. Not to mention, the druid’s tale of a force of goblin pirates they had not actually encountered, but “if the half-elf could be trusted” thought Coerraine, “they might still be out here…somewhere.” Evil.

The young paladin, while being true to his orders and the mission of his rank of “Goldshield” to protect the young magess, continued to be uneasy with Alaria’s willingness to avoid, if not actively allow, the agents of darkness they crossed paths with to exist. Despite his knowledge to the contrary, and his respect for the intelligent young woman, Coerraine found his mind wander to the possibility that Alaria, herself, might somehow be an agent of evil. He dismissed the thought almost immediately, but still found himself at a lack of reason for how she could seem so at ease with her decisions.

Braddok had found himself exhilarated in the exercise of his limited lessons in shipcraft from the sea priestess, Trihna. In the clear day, the lulling swells and the cool breezes of a life at sea appealed to the swordsman of far off Denil.

He also took more than a bit of personal amusement at the dwarf’s obvious discomfort. It was refreshing to see the rogue, normally quick to sarcastic quip, brought to humbled silence in his gastrointestinal distress. Braddok also noticed Alaria’s apparent frustration as she stuffed the parchments she had been studying back into their banded case.

“If Trihna and the Tidemaster are correct, milady, we should make the settlement at Silver Falls sometime in the night.” Braddok stated. He hoped to lift the seemingly pensive wizard’s spirits. He shared her desire to complete their errand.

With the treasure they’d already secured, plus his pay from Alaria, he should be returning to Hawkview with enough for some new armor, perhaps an additional weapon or two. Since his less than effective encounters with the crabs and crab-men, the warrior had been giving considerable thought to acquiring a mace. “Welford should be no more than three days away.”

Alaria nodded her acknowledgement, not bothering to turn to look at the warrior at the tiller.

The sun continued to rise, as did the tide. What little of the opening in the rockface that had been visible was soon swallowed as the waters reached their zenith. It had been, by Alaria’s estimation, a half hour since the elf and halfling had gone overboard to collect their riches.

“Ho! Look there!” called Coerraine from the prow, pointing to the north.

All of the remaining party looked with unease as a large galleon came into view around the northern edge of the island. From the ship’s large mast a flag flew. From the distance, all any of the humans or dwarf could make out was that it flew some symbol in red.

“That can’t be good.” said Duor in his usual deadpan.

As they watched, figures loaded into one of the longboat’s tied to the ship’s side and quickly was lowered into the water.

“Fen?” Alaria questioned.

“Yes. I am afraid that is the ship I saw before your arrival. Goblins and bugbears are her crew.” The half-elf replied. Despite his statement, his voice, betrayed no concern or fear. “We should not tarry here.”

“Really? Ya think? Maybe they’d like to share some of our treasure.” Said Duor with characteristic sarcasm. “Where’s the blasted point-ear with my gold?” Duor looked to the water on the promontory side. Noting the disapproving look from Coerraine, “Fine. ‘Our’ gold.” Duor rolled his dark brown eyes beneath his bushy eyebrows.

The Redstar Knight ignored the dwarf’s obvious attempt at humor. “Milady, if these are indeed pirates, let alone goblins, we must rid these waters of their evil. What if they find Shoal or attack the temple?”

Alaria did not respond. Her view skyward, again noting the black smudge of a raven against the clear day’s sky. Her brow furrowed in thought for a moment, then subtly lifted her hand towards the sky and whispered, “Arcanivis” <mage spell: Detect Magic>.

The violet sphere of light flickered around Alaria’s hand. To her eyes, the raven similarly flickered with a pale violet aura.

“Braddok, do you think you can hit that raven?” Alaria said with some urgency.

The warrior looked at the magess questioningly and tried to guess the distance of the dark bird. “No. It’s much too far. Perhaps Erevan could…Why?”

“The bird is magical. I am willing to wager that it is the dark-robed wizard’s familiar.” Alaria replied. “If I’m right, it is watching us. Relaying our presence to its master even now. Fen…”

“Sorry. I am in the same boat as the good warrior.” The druid replied with a shrug, then chuckled. “Ha. ‘Same boat’ indeed, eh?” Seeing his pun falling on unappreciative ears, he explained, “It is beyond the reach of my magics. I am sorry.”

“That longboat is heading straight for us. Milady, we must ready for battle.” Coerraine reported.

Just then, a sputtering Haelan broke the water’s surface. “A little help, here, if you please.”

Braddok, Fen and Duor rushed to haul the halfling, elf and their sacks of booty out of the water.

Erevan was barely out of the water before Alaria shouted orders, “Erevan, shoot down that raven! Braddok, get us out of here. Make for the river with all speed. A ship that size surely won’t be able to follow us upstream. Coaerraine, Duor take the oars.”

The confused elf nocked an arrow, but by the time he had gotten a bead on the dark bird, it was beyond his reach as well, having flown back to the north and into the interior of the island.

Haelan hastily donned his shirt of chainmail. He looked with concern towards the approaching longboat, at least two of the creatures were obviously large, hairy and nasty looking. “Bugbears, for sure. Erevan, what is that red mark? What symbol do they fly.” The halfling cleric hoped with all his heart it was not the red demon skull symbol of the Chaosbringer.

Erevan took a cursory glance at the large ship as he assisted Braddok to get their vessel under way. “Yes, Haelan, it is that red talon symbol I saw that goblin warband carrying.”

"Oh. Whew." No demon-priests, the halfling priest thought. Then it dawned on him. “Oh! Oh bollux.” He then made a hasty mental apology to his goddess for the vulgarity.

The party was fortunate to have some wind at their back, and with Coerraine and Duor working with oars, their shallow light ship sped away from the island.

The longboat with its goblinoid raiding party came up on the party’s small ship quickly. They passed close enough to see the passengers easily.Two bugbears were obvious, one at the prow, one aft. Tucked in between the two large creatures there seemed to be at least a half dozen goblins. Their long ragged pointed ears apparent popping out from behind a row of four small shields with two oars (per side) jutting out from in between the cover.

Two goblin archers rose from the center of the ship and let their shafts fly. One missed horribly but the other “thunked” into the side of the party’s boat.

Erevan returned in kind from his place at the till, but in the splashing jerking of the speeding vessel neither of his bolts connected. One flew clear over the goblin laiden longboat.

The aft bugbear shouted some command in his gutteral tongue and the longboat began to turn to pursue the sailing intruders. The galleon continued to bob ever closer before them, it seemed to be attempting to cut off their escape. Fortunately, the party’s ship was much smaller and faster, but the large ship continued towards the shore and, it seemed, would come very near them as they continued north.

Suddenly, from the galleon, a mass of flaming something launched from the ship’s deck. A catapult of some kind. The large lump of fire soared into the air and crashed into the sea just to the right of the party. It sent up a hiss of steam and smoke. The fumes from the thing choked those that caught a lungful.

Duor was forced to release his oar for a moment to projectile vomit over the side of the ship. “Gah.” The dwarf spewed, wiping his beard. “Least it wasn’t the fire.” The dwarf retched a second time. "Actually, maybe the fire would have been better."

With that statement a second flaming mass shot into the air from the galleon. This one, thankfully, splashed into the water behind the fast-moving smaller ship. The huge boat continued to trek into the path of the party.

“They’ll ram us if we keep going. We need to make for shore and try to outrun them.” Braddok offered.

There was another ‘whiz’ and ‘thunk’ as another arrow from the longboat thudded into the ship’s mast above Alaria’s head. Another arrow clanked and shattered against Haelan’s shield as he moved to put himself between the archers and the magess.

“They will not.” Alaria stated plainly. “I have had enough of this.” Alaria reached into her scroll case and withdrew a slender tapered wand of white wood. “I believe,” she thought aloud, “this constitutes an ‘emergency.’” She pointed the wand toward the goblin ship.

“Allhankowsh.” <the wand’s command word> Alaria shouted.

Immediately, the air all around the ship seemed charged, like the moments before a thunderstorm. From the elegant slender tip of the wand a bolt of white hot lightning streaked across the water and slammed into the side of the galleon, very near the water level. Alaria was nearly thrown from her feet by the force of the magical release.

With a shattering boom, a combination of the thunder effect of the wand and the explosive contact, the lightning bolt slammed into the ship’s hull. Some of the edges of the wide opening in the ship’s side smoked and flickers of flame could be seen on some of the boards and within the dark hole. Cries went up from the ship, garbled shouts indistinctly heard over the water.

Alaria quickly ducked back down in the their shallow ship. She was too busy surveying the damage of her most potent magic to notice half the party stared in disbelief at the ship. The other half stared in disbelief at her.

“Wow, Alaria. Nice stick.” Haelan finally said.

A raised eyebrow turned into a smile at the halfling’s naivtee. “Thank you, Haelan. Braddok, Erevan, let’s go, get us out of here.”

One final arrow from the longboat tudded into the rear of the party’s ship, not far from Braddok’s foot. But then the raiding party turned back to return to their now crippled mother ship.

The party’s ship skirted passed the galleon and continued to the north. The angry shouts and goblin curses were lost across the water as they moved further up the coast. In short order, the goblin ship was lost from view as Braddok and Erevan rounded a piece of coast.

Alaria scanned the skies as they continued, but there was no sight of the raven.

The afternoon went by without further incident. In the orange evening light, the small ship turned to face the lengthening shadows and setting sun at the mouth of the river D’Evand.

wolff96

First Post
Heh. Got to love the wand.

Reminds me of an old Dragon Magazine comic. The wizard is standin in the foreground with a smoking wand. As you go deeper into the panel, there's a giant with a hole through his chest, a castle tower behind him with a perfectly round hole in it, a mountain behind the tower with a hole through it, and finally the rising moon - with a hole punched clean through IT.

The wizard's comment and caption to the comic? "I *LOVE* this wand!!" :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The party continued, struggling up the river D’Evand, “the Silver River” as named by the elves in ages part. When night fell, they found a shallow indent in the banks of the river and easily beached their shallow ship on the smooth river rocks and sand. Erevan and Fen did their best to camouflage the boat with branches and brush. A lean-to was constructed to block light from the campfire from the east and north. The night passed easily enough, though the party teamed up for watches of two throughout the night, keeping a sharp eye downriver for any pursuit from the goblinoid mariners.

During Erevan and Fen’s watch, Erevan watched as Fen took a position on the wooded side of the camp and through the enchantments of his druidic cloak faded from view against the trees. Shortly passed midnight a thick cloud cover blew in from the north. A few rolling rumbles of thunder threatened rain but none came. As the day lightened behind the clouds in the east, the stormfront continued southward and Haelan and Coerraine ended their watch under patchy clouds with breaks of blue sky.

The party broke camp and piled back into the ship. Haelan suggested that their stalwart vessel needed a name, as all the great ships in the great tales of old. Most of the party was content to let the halfling ponder this on his own. “Long as it ain’t ‘Lilypants’,” stipulated Duor.

The dwarf found traveling the river significantly easier than the constant up and down sways of the open sea and was thankful for it.

Despite the lack of rain, the party found themselvs without any useful wind and so the the warriors, Fen and Duor took turns using the oars and poles to force their way against the river current.

About mid-morning, Haelan noted something curious to the north. Beyond the wooded bank, between two or three large hills, which Fen explained were the beginnings of the foothills to the Zarchan mountains, the daelvar cleric pointed eagerly at a curious formation.

“See there, through those to hills? Look. Doesn’t that hill look like a huge face lying down?” Haelan asked.

“That is Titans’ Rest, friend Haelan.” Fen explained. “There is a second mountain, which we cannot see just now, facing it. Between those massive faces marks the valley entrance to…”

“The Land of Sleeping Giants.” Finished Erevan.

Fen turned to his elvin “cousin” and nodded. “Quite so.”

Alaria had come across mention of the fabled place, though she had never truly believed it would, indeed, look like a massive slumbering titan.

“Indeed. So that’s where it is?” Duor said offhandedly. A question from Alaria sparked an explanation from the dwarf, “I have heard the songs of Thornbeard, a great dwarf lord of the Lost Ages. The giants don’t ‘sleep’, point-ear. They’re dead. Thornbeard invaded that land with a great army. He fought and defeated Gorekt the Giant King and all of his kin.”

Alaria confessed her unfamiliarity with dwarf history, but saw no reason the dwarf to make up such a tale.

Haelan, naturally, was intrigued. “Really, Duor? So is that where your people come from?”

Duor said with all sarcasm intended, “Quite right, Hilltender. Every mountain you see has dwarves beneath it.” He turned to Braddok and rolled his eyes.

“You mock me, Duor. That cannot be true,” Haelan turned to Braddok, “….can it?”

“No, Haelan. Duor is teasing you.” Alaria clarified for the endlessly gullable halfling. “But the question is valid,” she continued after a thought, “Is that the land of your clan, Duor? Or do other dwarves live there?”

“Well, I, ehm…” the dwarf was at a rare lack of words.

“Indeed,” Erevan added, not wanting to pass up an opportunity to make the dwarf squirm. “It seems unlikely a great dwarf lord would counquer a land and king, and all of his folk, and leave his halls and treasures untended.” The elf looked impassively at the dwarf.

“I, um…Well, I’m sure I don’t know. Nevertheless, Thornbeard slayed the giants of Titans’ Rest, of that you can be sure. He was a great warlord.” With that, Duor folded his arms in a huff and turned his attention upriver.

Erevan smirked a rare smirk and caught Fen’s eye. The druid merely shook his head slightly from side to side.

Alaria caught the exchange and pressed further. “And what can you tell us of Titans’ Rest and the Giant Lands, Fen.”

“Alas, milady, though we are near to my homeland and I have traversed a great deal of the territories to our south, I myself have never travelled to the Land of Sleeping Giants…be they dead or no, I’d not care to wager.” The red-headed half-elf smiled his charming smile at the R’Hathi wizard.

“Is it true that Daenfrii lies beyond?” Alaria questioned further.

“That I can avow.” Fen answered offhandedly. “From the maps of the region that I have seen. But there are a great many easier paths to the realm of the Dragonmage.” Erevan nodded his agreement.

Braddok then understood Alaria’s question. The realm of the world’s most (allegedly) powerful wizard, the Dragonmage, would undoubtedly be of great interest to the aspiring young wizardess.

“Hm.” Was Alaria’s only response. She then took out her scrolls from their satchel and returned to her almost constant study of the mysterious papers.

The day passed slowly until mid-afternoon, when Erevan seemed to notice something before them and moved with his typical grace to the prow of the ship and intently stared before them.

Duor, casually sitting with a makeshift fishing line off the side noticed the elf’s movement and rolled his eyes. No doubt, the dwarf thought to himself, the point-ear’s eyebrow was doing its twitchy thing again.

“What is it, Erevan?” Haelan asked. The rest of the party turned their attentions to the back of the elf.

“Something is wrong.” Was the elf’s response. “Fen, do you notice anything odd about the woods?”

Typical, thought Duor. The point-ear and half-blood are in cahoots now. We’ll be swimming in cryptic elvish nonsense the whole way back to Hawkview.

Fen seemed to concentrate from a moment. He stared at the woods to their left. Then, seemed to be sniffing the air. “The woods are silent.” Fen finally said. “And I smell…smoke.”

Duor furrowed his bushy brows. He took a few quick snorts of the air. “Where there’s smoke there’s fire, druid. Where d’yeh think there’s a fire. I don’t smell anything.”

Alaria now was scanning the river and woods before them. Braddok and Coerraine, left to the majority of the rowing halted a moment and also turned to see if there were any smoke in the sky. Haelan at the tiller also noted that he did not smell anything.

“Perhaps we get the clean air, eh hairfoot? The smoke must only be in the point-ears’ air.” Duor chuckled at his jab at the elvin companions.

“But I have pointed ears too, Duor?” Haelan replied. Duor again rolled his eyes at the halfling. Sarcasm and jest both lost on the poor simple priest and returned his attention to his fishing line.

“No, Duor.” Coerraine added. “It is faint, but I smell it as well.”

“It’s a conspiracy of the big folk!” shouted Duor in mock assault. “Or perhaps, Sir Goldilocks, you have some point-ear blood in yeh, as well, huh?” Duor chuckled to himself. He did not see the Redstar Kight’s scowl.

“We shall see, friend Duor.” Fen replied with passive diplomacy. The young druid outstretched his arms and raised his leaf-tipped spear. The cryptic syllables of his secret tongue murmured on his lips, again too soft to cause his fellows any possible harm from hearing it. His casting finished, Fen lowered his arms and scanned the sky.

“Fen, what did you…” Alaria began to ask only to be cut off by the shriekd of a hawk that had appeared from the trees before them and winged its way towards them.

Haelan shrank back a bit as the hawk let forth another shrill cry. His mind was inundated with disturbing visions of his encounter with the harpies.

To the party’s amazement, the hawk alit on Fen’s outstretched arm and sat calmly looking at the druid. Haelan nearly jumped out of his shirt when Fen, himself, opened his mouth in a series of sharp shrill notes and calm chirps.

“Feorn’s beard.” Whispered Duor.

The hawk replied in similar fashion, carrying on an obscure conversation for a few minutes before taking wing again. It circled above them briefly before returning to the surrounding woods, apparently gone back to his afternoon hunt.

“By the Hillmother.” Haelan piped up excitedly when the hawk had left. “You can talk to the animals! What a fantastic talent!”

Fen merely smiled a slight smile at the daelvar cleric. There was something behind the look that seemed sorrowful.

“Can you teach me to do that? Pleeeease, Fen. I’m sure the Hillmother wouldn’t mind. I would love to be able to speak to the animals back home...maybe not hawks or wolves…but, the nice ones, you know like…”

“Haelan!” burst Braddok in irritation. The warrior turned to the druid, “Well?”

His eyes downcast, Fen replied serenely, “It seems...upriver, there was a village of elves that was sacked and burned yesterday by a great evil force. The animals of that part of the wood have all fled from an encroaching army of…goblins.” Fen looked towards Erevan, “I am sorry kiiri <elvin term of familiarity, loosely translates as “cousin”>. I fear the hawk could only be referring to the outpost at Silver Falls.”

Erevan’s face betrayed no emotion. “Did the bird say anything of survivors? Has it seen any elves since the attack?”

Fen shook his head. “She said she had not seen any but the bodies of the dead in the village.” Fen seemed more distraught by the hawk’s report than the full-blooded elf.

Even Duor lowered his head. The dwarf felt a pang of remorse for the elf and his people.

“But that is not to say none escaped!” added the ever-optimistic Haelan. “Maybe she just didn’t notice anyone retreating or…or she was hunting or something.”

“Erevan, I…” Alaria began.

The elvin scout turned again to face the river before them. “No words of condolence are necessary, magess. Haelan is correct. We still must pass the outpost. We shall see for ourselves soon enough.”

Sure enough, as the evening sun lowered itself in the western sky, the small ship came upon the high Silver Falls. The smell of smoke was noticeable to all of them as were the thin trails of smoke rising above the treetops not far into the woods beside the foot of the falls.

With all caution and alertness, the party secured the boat and ventured into the deepening evening shadows of the forest.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Erevan and Fen moved with trained, and somewhat natural, ease through the darkening trees and undergrowth. Duor had his hand crossbow nocked and held his enchanted dagger in his other hand. The blade glowed the eerie green light they’d not seen since their battle beneath the mountain on Dragonbone Isle. Alaria pondered the idea that the blade might possess some sort of detection magic on it. She sincerely hoped, she were incorrect. Coerraine and Braddok, similarly, had weapons out and at the ready. If it were true that a goblin army had moved through these woods just the day before, stragglers and looters could easily still be afoot.

Not far into the woods, the group came to a break in the trees. It was a small glade with a few elegantly formed buildings along the bases of the trees. Burned and broken stairways wove their way up around the treetrunks of the great silverleaf and bronzewood giants to similar arched and sharp peaked constructions among the trees’ large boughs.

All around them, destruction was evident. Smoldering mounds of wood, cloth, weapons and….bodies littered the serene glade that was bathed, most ironically, in the peaceful silver light of the rising greater moon. Among the constructions in the treetops, most had obvious damage and trails of smoke rose from unseen smoldering fires. Several goblin bodies and a few bugbears were scatter among the battle site. Several of them wearing tabbards or holding shields painted with the red claw symbol they had seen, now twice in their travels.

In the center of the glade was the most disturbing scene as a dozen of so elvish heads sat atop pikes driven into the piled bodies of elves. Their faces were a mixture, some frozen in abject horror some showing a defiant peacefulness in their eternal repose. At the center of the ring of spears, higher than any of the spears, a banner emblazoned with the red talon symbol.

Alaria raised a hand to her mouth. The sight and odor of the atrocity churned her stomach.

Tears welled up in Haelan’s eyes as they did in Fen’s.

Erevan approached the horrific site with slow purpose. His face, still, not showing any emotion.

Coerraine followed the elf and laid a gauntlet-sheathed hand on his shoulder. The Redstar Knight spoke with soft reverence for the deceased, “My friend, the monsters will pay with this atrocity. I swear to you.”

Erevan placed a hand atop the paladin’s and simply said, “Yes, Coerraine. They shall.”

Erevan reached into the mass of spears and carnage and ripped the fluttering tattered banner from its pole. He looked at the square sheet of rough fabric a moment before letting it slip from his hands into the blood dampened ground beneath his feet.

“We should,” Braddok began. The dark-haired warrior stopped a moment, at a loss. Then, forcefully, “We should explore the village. See if there are any left alive or any goblins lurking about in the wreckage.”

Duor nodded his agreement and moved off, silently, into the shadows of the evening.

“Erevan,” offered Alaria, “should we not put your people to rest?”

Erevan responded coldly. “Better we should follow Braddok’s lead to insure our own safety and see if there is anything useful to salvage. I do not think we should linger here.”

Alaria seemed shocked by the elf’s frigid response.

Erevan turned to her as he pulled an arrow from his quiver and nocked it in the elegant elf-made longbow. “Then, we shall hunt down the culprits and raise a mountain of pikes for their heads.”

With that, the elf moved off in the direction of the nearest intact building with a stairway leading up into the trees.

Coerraine knelt before the mass of spears, saying prayers to his deity for the repose of the innocent souls and vowing revenge upon the cruel killers. Haelan, similarly, stayed near the paladin and began chanting prayers of Faerantha for the unjustly slain.

Fen was nowhere to be seen. Moved into the surrounding woods to scout, no doubt, thought the wizardess.

Alaria left the religious types to their rites and followed Erevan, deep concern evident on her face. Braddok also headed in the direction Erevan had chosen and as they neared the dwelling, Duor appeared from some bushes to declare that he’d found nothing amiss around the glade’s periphery.

“I might have stabbed a few goblin corpses, just to be safe.” He offered. Duor hoped the notion might be of some comfort to his elvin companion.

The mage, the elf, the dwarf and the swordsman entered the archway, its delicately carved door shattered and hanging limply from a single remaining hinge.

The interior was a shambles, an office of sorts judging by the smashed and overturned furniture. There was a desk, nearly split in two, deep cuts in it led all to assume a very large axe had been used on the previously beautiful piece of golden wood furniture. Papers and other desk top implements were scattered about and trampled. There were a few chairs splintered and scattered among the room.

There were two goblin bodies. One was filled with arrows. The other bore obvious burns and scorching that Alaria surmised were magical in origin. The remnants of some energy spell as best she could tell.

Finding nothing of use or interest in the rubble and carnage, the group moved with purpose to the stairway that began in the dwelling and sloped up along the nature bark wall up through an opening, similarly chopped and splintered, out the roof of the office and along the bronzewood tree.

They passed another few goblin bodies and a fallen elf warrior, multiple goblin-made arrows imbedded in his chest.

Alaria looked long at the elf’s peaceful face. He seemed young to her eyes, certainly no older than Erevan, himself, appeared. But then, she reminded herself, the elves of the Miralostae nation are very long-lived, if not immortal…no human could be sure, so there was no telling the elf’s actual age. Shreds of his chain link armor shone beneath the forest green tabbard, a shattered blade still clenched in his hand.

At the top of the stairway, where a platform surrounded the tree trunk and multiple rope and plank bridges led off to other trees, they found another elf. This one appeared to be in blue robes. He lay sprawled and bloody beneath the body of a very dead bugbear. The beast’s large spiked club lay near where this brawl came to an obvious end.

Erevan knelt beside the crushed elf. “Here is one of your elvish sorcerers, milady.” He said plainly.

When Erevan spoke, the fallen elf’s eyes shot open in panic. Duor nearly jumped off of the platform in alarm. The bearded thief looked on in shock to see Erevan himself leap up in surprise.

Never in all of my dwarven days, thought Duor, would I ever see an elf taken by surprise.

“HAELAN!” Alaria shouted down from the platform. She completely ignored any possible threat this might open to her group, “Get up here! We’ve found one alive!”

Haelan, deep in reciting his people’s funerary blessings, jumped at the shockingly loud command. “One what?” called up the startled halfling.

“Haelan!?” Alaria scowled. Her dark look seemed to snap the priest from his confusion. Haelan sprinted with all speed into the building at the base of the tree.

Braddok heaved the massive hairy goblinoid off the now awake and very weakly breathing elf.

Leivar ne. Ria ne tohm. Aiu preis.” <elvin: “Do not be alarmed. Be still. Help is coming.”> Alaria said quickly, kneeling beside the elf.

The elf sorceror looked from the mage to the warrior to the elf and finally the dwarf. His eyes betrayed pain and shock. He attempted to inhale to say something but only coughed out blood. He looked, pleadingly at Alaria.

“It will be alright.” Alaria responded, forgetting to speak in elvin. “Haelan!” she shouted again.

Weakly, with the arm that had not been crushed beneath the bugbear, the elf tried to reach to a satchel on his belt. He had not the strength to grasp anything but weakly nodded his head towards the satchel and looked at Alaria.

The magess took the hint and gently reached into the pouch.

Perhaps he has a healing potion, Alaria thought.

What her hands found was not a vial, but a small leather bound book. She looked at it confused then looked to the elf. He nodded slightly before looking beyond her...serenity passing over his ever-young face.

The companions turned to see the elf was staring at the great silver moon, now rising into view above the treetops.

Alaria turned back to the fallen mage to see his previously vibrant green eyes were now clouded over with an empty greyish tint. His stare empty. His spirit gone.

“No.” whispered Alaria.

Haelan arrived, panting, to the platform to find Alaria sobbing over the elf’s body. Erevan looked out at the rising moon. Braddok and Duor’s faces downcast in silent respect.

Duor looked up at the halfling’s arrival and simply shook his head silently. “Too late, hairfoot.”

“Oh no. No, I’m sorry Erevan. I ran as fast as…”Haelan began.

“I know, vaaria.<elvish for daelvar/halflings, literally “one who is of the hills”> Do not let it cause you sorrow. There is nothing you could have done. His wounds were too severe.”

“Alaria, we really must continue with all speed.” Braddok prodded gently.

The magess pulled herself together. Sniffing and wiping her eyes. She nodded and rose, looking blankly at the small book in her hand. She stuffed it into one of her belt pouches and wiped her eyes again.

“Alaria, are you…I’m sorry…” Haelan began.

“I will be fine, Haelan. Braddok is right.” She turned to the warrior, jutting out her chin in resolution. “Lead on, swordsman.”

wolff96

First Post
The elf sorceror looked from the mage to the warrior to the elf and finally the dwarf. His eyes betrayed pain and shock. He attempted to inhale to say something but only coughed out blood. He looked, pleadingly at Alaria.

Weakly, with the arm that had not been crushed beneath the bugbear, the elf tried to reach to a satchel on his belt. He had not the strength to grasp anything but weakly nodded his head towards the satchel and looked at Alaria.

For some reason, this bit reminds me of the section on Haven, in the movie Serenity. Nice writing. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Coerraine joined his companions on the treetop platform and the group carried on. The Redstar Knight toiled inwardly with his feelings of remorse and fury. He was under the presumption that the warband they had encountered nearly a week before was responsible for all of this destruction and death which they now picked through like the scavenger birds that picked at the remains in the glade below.

Initially, Coerraine was consumed with a rant to bestow on their “leader”, the mage Alaria. It was her decision to avoid the warband. These deaths were on her head. But a single look at the tear stained face of the young woman quelled his rage. She, obviously, was punishing herself enough, thought the blond paladin.

They moved swiftly but with caution. From dwelling to dwelling, they found a number more bodies, both goblinoid and elvin warriors. A few dressed in similar blue robes to the mage they had discovered. Broken weapons of goblin and elf make were broken and littered about. Furniture and belongings strewn haphazardly. Coerraine murmured a prayer of thanks to Celradorn that they had not encountered the bodies of any children or females in the carnage.

“How many elves were stationed here, Erevan? Do you know?” the paladin questioned softly.

Erevan shrugged a response. “I can not say. I have not been to this outpost before.”

“When I passed through two winters passed,” offered Fen, “there were not a force of more than twenty trained soldiers. About half as many support staff, as I recall.” The half-elf looked around thoughtfully. “Thankfully, I have not noticed any of the workers among the dead…and I would estimate that we have located almost all of the warriors.”

“Thank Manat for small blessings.” Alaria whispered. The mage that died before her had coupled with the carnage in the glade below firmly cemented her guilt. She tried desperately to argue with herself that their small number could have done little to impede such ferocity. But the remorse still stung at her heart.

By the time they came to the final treetop building, they had managed to accrue a second full quiver of elvish arrows for Erevan. Braddok replenished his little used quiver with the superior crafted bolts as well. Duor had added a length of elvish rope to his equipment. The dwarf rogue was as much disgusted as infuriated that all of the corpses seemed to have been robbed of any coin purses they might have possessed. Damned goblins, Duor cursed to himself.

Haelan respectfully asked Erevan if it would be alright for him to take a discarded helmet of one of the elf warriors. The steel helm was banded in copper and brass with a great spreading oak tree at the bridge of the nose. He felt it would be a tribute to both, the warrior who apparently had slain a number of goblins before falling himself, and to his nature-loving goddess.

Erevan smile slightly at the suggestion and nodded his consent.

As the party saw a final bridge that led from the last tree housing a construction to the high ground above the falls.

“How are we to proceed now?” Alaria questioned out loud. “Without the elves here, how are we to get the boat to the top of the falls?”

As party pondered this, Duor raised a gloved hand in what the party took as a sign to “be quiet.” The dwarf leaned slightly toward the edge of the platform. Erevan, similarly crooked his head in the manner he often did when noticing some imperceptible sound.

Duor scowled and pointed down toward the eastern edge of the glade. As the party watched, three goblins cautiously stalked their way into the open. They were obviously trying to be stealthy, but grumbled among each other in their garbled tongue. Only a firm hand on his chest kept Coerraine from racing down the wooden steps to engage the murderers.

Erevan crouched near the edge and nocked an arrow, all the while straining to hear the goblin conversation. “They are deserters.” Said the elf, finally . “They are hoping to scavenge what riches they can and return to their camp unnoticed.”

“They shall do no such thing.” Said Alaria pointedly. She motioned for Braddok and Coerraine toward the ramp then motioned for them to wait. They nodded, in position as the magess reached into her one of her compnent pouches and withdrew a handful of the pink sand they’d seen in Hawkview.

She purposely moved to the edge of the platform , flung the pink sand before her, and pronounced in a surprisingly quiet voice, “Contro es amberall buul.”<mage spell: Sleep> .

As the first goblin noticed the fine grains of twinkling sand fall lightly into the glade he had time to turn and point up at the mage’s face, scowling at them in fury, before he dropped into an arcane slumber. A second of the trio similarly fell without even turning. The third croaked some sound as he raised his shortbow toward her position. Then he too fell to Alaria’s mystic assault.

Braddok and Coerraine hurried down the platform. Coeraine was obviously planning on skewering the goblins where they lay before Alaria interrupted his thoughts.

“Bind them. We need them alive for information.” She said.

“All of them?” asked Duor in all sincerity. Alaria frowned at the suggestion.

“What one does not know, another might.” Pointed out Erevan.

Carg awoke to a rough shaking. When his wholy red eyes jolted open, he found a golden spear head in his face. A blond armored human held the spear and scowled darkly at him.

“Give me one reason not to smite you where you stand, creature.” He said.

His companions were roused in an equally rough manner. Borf had a red-headed half-elf holding a spear to his throat. Trak looked nervously at the dark cloaked dwarf holding a crossbow before him.

Carg shuddered visibly to see another human female with a staff, a swordsman and another elf standing with his arms folded behind the armed captors.

What happened here.” <translated from goblin> Said the elf.

“Carg not creature.” The goblin soldier spat defiantly in what little human tongue he knew.

“What about your friends here?” said the dwarf. “Maybe they know? You can get rid of that one, Coerraine.”

“No! No! Not talk hoomun. Only Carg.” He quickly replied. Carg struggled in his bonds to find himself completely immobilized.

Fine…Carg.” Said the elf, again in goblin. “You tell me or you all die now.”

“We killed your people.” Said the goblin archer called Trak with a sneer.

The dwarf lowered his crossbow and shot Trak in leg. The goblin let out a snarling yelp.

“Duor!” called the female. The dwarf seemed not to be bothered and the female made no further chastisement. Slowly, calmly, the dwarf merely reloaded his hand crossbow and again pointed it at Trak’s head. Then his dark eyes shifted to look at Carg.

“ The Master brought us here. You can see what happened. The Bloody Talon will kill all point-ear,” Carg said, his voice full of defiance and menace. He looked to the humans and finally back at the dwarf, Then the Master will kill you all!” his final word directed at the dwarf.

“Ain’t happened in a thousand thousand ears, scumbucket.” Said the dwarf. “Ain’t gonna happen now.”

The smallest goblin, Borf, whimpered and tried to scuttle away from the spear tip before him.

“No kill! No kill! Master’s fault.” Borf cried in broken Common.

“Traitor!” shouted Trak. “The Master will flay your cowardly hide.”

Carg also looked with disapproval at the smallest of his companions.

“Just looking for eat.” Carg quickly amended. “No want fight. Forgive Borf. He just soft boy.”

The female said something to the elf. Then the elf spoke again, “Who is your ‘Master’? How large a force does he command and where are you heading.”

Trak let out a gutteral laugh. “You’ll never defeat the Master. Sharzaak will rise and the goblins will rule everything.”

At this, the elf raised an eyebrow. The female looked nervously at the elf.

“Be silent, Trak!” Carg commanded.

“How many are you and where do you go?” the elf repeated.

“Carg no know! Not know! Many many gobilenses. Burgbars too. Ogorses. The Master brings all to him. Gone to kill the elves. All elves in the big wood.” Carg quickly tried to answer as the blond humans spear pressed against his throat. He sealed his lips and pressed his eyes shut as the spear bit into his mottled grey-green flesh.

“Easy, Coerraine.” Came a meek voice from Carg’s right. He had not noticed the small hairfoot behind the big man. “It is wrong to torture them.”

The blond armored human closed his eyes and heaved an exhale. “You are correct, Hilltender. Celradorn, forgive my anger.” He rose and stepped away from the Carg. "I can not slay a bound foe." The goblin sighed in relief.

Then the other human with the sword stepped forward and leveled his blade before Carg. “You are fortunate, murderer. My friend here has a certain code of respect.” The warrior leveled his sword blade to Carg’s neck. “UNfortunately, I do not share such…moral qualms.”

“Wut’s is ‘morl kwallms’?” said Carg innocently.

“Means yer skewered either way, goblin.” Said the dwarf.

The elf looked at the female. The female looked at him mournfully, turned and walked away.

“The goblins will rise! Death to the elves!” shouted Trak before the dwarf put another crossbow bolt between his eyes.

Borg began to murmur prayers to the goblin gods, broken by uncontrollable sobs.

“Who is your Master?” questioned the elf again. Carg, now seeing they had no hope of survival. Simply lowered his head.

“You will kill me anyway. I will not answer you.” Carg mumbled.

The human with the sword to his throat turned to look at the elf.

“Tell me and I will free you and your companion.” Said the elf.

Carg thought for a moment. “The Master have many..." he struggled to find the human word, "...names. We call Bulgruch. He mightiest leader we have ever have.” He paused for a moment and, fearing he would be slain anyway, added, “You not beat him. No one beat Bulgruch.”

The elf’s brow furrowed a moment. “Release them.” He said to the captors.

“Are yeh out of yer pointy-eared head, Erevan!” the dwarf yelled.

“You can’t be serious!” said the blond spear-wielder.

The half-elf untied Borg without hesitation. The hairfoot came and undid Carg’s bonds.

The goblins sat for a moment, frozen by awe and fear.

The human warriors looked down at the newly released and completely unarmed goblins. The swordsman made a lunging movement at Carg. That was enough to send he and Borf scurrying for the trees.

Carg ran as fast as his clawed feet could carry him. First he heard the whizzing noise. Then the wet thud of what he presumed to be Borf hitting the blood-soaked mud. Then another whizzing noise as he turned to look before the pain ripped through his shoulder. The force of the impact on the slippery ground knocked him prone. He looked back at the elf as it drew another arrow into his longbow.

“Curse to all elves and their big bows.” Carg thought.

Hatred burned in the elf’s almond-shaped eyes but otherwise, no emotion shown on his face.

“Erevan!” said the blond man.

“I said I would set them free. I never said I would let them live.” Said the elf.

Carg felt the next bolt slam into his chest. As his vision blurred, Carg noticed the hairfoot looking at him in great sadness. Then…Carg felt the darkness come upon him.

wolff96

First Post
I've had players use that one before in my own games. :)

And yet they howl when the villains of the piece pull the same kinds of shennanigans...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases