A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

Scotley

Hero
Keeland

With an almost courtly bow Keeland replies, "Thank you Almah, we appreciate your faith in us. We are in sore need of rest and repast, but with the dawn, I'm sure you'll find us able and eager to continue your work."

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Almah takes a deep breath as Keeland ends his recitation. She removes the gag from Haidar's mouth and walks slowly back around her desk. She sits quietly for a long minute. Haidar stands silently in his bonds, his bearing regal. Though he is free to speak he does not do so.

"I fancy myself a good judge of character," Almah says, before fixing you with her intense gaze one by one. "You are my chosen men, and have proved yourselves well since I hired you. I tasked you with clearing the area surrounding Kelmarane and you are doing so. Never fear that you will be reprimanded for your sincere efforts to do my will."

Her gaze turns once more to the lycanthrope. "I had hoped not to use this except in extreme emergency, but 'blood will tell' as they say." She slides open a desk drawer and removes a scroll case. "Uncle Haidar, I have the means and the will to send you to a friend of mine in Katapesh. He is a priest high in Sarenrae's service and may be able to alleviate your condition. It will not be pleasant for you, I fear, and I suspect there will be a price to pay for whatever crimes you've committed. The Uncle I knew as a child would not flinch at such measures. I suppose we shall see if there's any of him left in you." As she speaks, she takes pen and paper and scribes a note. Folding and sealing it, she places it in Haidar's sash where it is plainly visible.

Moving decisively, she opens the scroll and begins to read. As she comes to the end of the scroll, she touches her Uncle lightly on the forehead and he winks from your sight. The merchant princess looks at the now empty space where he stood and sighs.

"Gentlemen, you've served me well. Rest for the night, and kindly resume your scouting of the area in the morning."

Once Haidar is gone, Tsadok looks up and speaks. "Can you tell us a little more of your Uncle's history? He is a very proud and interesting fellow."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As dishelved as Harnrey looks, the mention of Haidars noble past deeds lights the wizard's curiosity. he looks hopeful the the merchant.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Almah's face takes on a far-away expression as she leans back in her chair.

"Uncle Haider was once a very powerful man, the bastion of Ipeq's defenses against invasion from Katapesh. My memories of him are faint, those of a very young child for an Uncle who once gave her sweets and toys on his infrequent visits. I've seen him only once in my adult life, when he was in Katapesh - supposedly on a diplomatic mission - and came to our villa for a brief social call. He and my father secreted themselves in the study and I spoke to Uncle Haidar only for a moment. That was almost 5 years ago.

"We found out afterward that he had disappeared from Ipeq, leaving behind the corpses of his wife and children. They had been slaughtered in their home,and were left laying in pools of their own blood."

She focuses once again on you. "He was presumed to be the instigator of this horror, of course. Your tale of lycanthropy would appear to confirm this presumption, solidifying it into fact. The man I've sent him to will be able to cure him of this curse as well as discovering the source. After that he'll have to answer to the Ruby Prince - as well as to his own conscience - for his crimes."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"That will be most unfortuneate. Suffering for his crimes to himself I am sure will be a signifcant amount of torture to his soul. I would not want to know what the Ruby Prince has in mind."
*sigh*
"I am sorry about your uncle, and moreso about his family."

Harnrey bows and speaks no further on this.

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Before Tsadok can form his words, Harnrey speaks...mirroring Tsadok's thoughts.

"I too am very sorry. Obviously if he did commit the crimes and from what I saw of him that is a big if, you obviously see he was not himself. If ever the opportunity presents itself to speak with him again, I'd love to."

Tsadok looks to the others, "Well...should we be off for a bath, dinner and restful night?"

Scotley

Hero
Keeland

Keeland nods absently at Tsadok's suggestion. He offers a bow and Almah and turns to leave. His mind whirls as he considers the possibility of composing a ballad of the tale of Haider. He could never sing it while employed by Almah, but the words begin to organize themselves around a mournful melody in his head none the less.

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger 3

Having recovered somewhat from his previous malaise, Houwlou now speaks, "Haidar is a formidable foe. Perhaps when he is more himself we can aid him in recovering a portion of his former status. If, that is, our resident spell-slinger Harnrey will permit the presence of another arcanist." ;)

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Level: Olcán Ranger3
   HP: 32/32     AC: 17   AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+04  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05

BAB: 03       CMB: +6     CMD: 17

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +6        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
  Dagger +1             +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +4        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  Longsword             +3        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin                 +4        1d6+3          20/x2     

*+7 & +6 TH if using these alone in primary hand
[/sblock]

Remove ads