A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

renau1g

First Post
"Ach! You want a piece of me you rubbery stinker? Here, have a taste of dwarven steel!" Aodhán grunts as he manages to wriggle one arm free and chop at the tentacle.

[sblock=ooc]

Move:
Standard: attack (1d20+5-2=21, 1d10+2=11) the choker
Swift: Copy Cat - 3 rounds

init; attack (if needed) (1d20+2=8, 1d20+5=7, 1d10+2=3)[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   HP: 31/36     AC: 20   AC(T): 12   AC(FF): 18
 Init: +02    ST(F):+05   ST(R):+03    ST(W):+08
  Per: +05                        HERO Points: 02
Channel Energy: 4/6

BAB: 02       CMB: 04     CMD: 16

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Dwarven WarAxe          +5        1d10+2         20/x3     +3 Damage (2H)
Javelin                 +4        1d6 +2         20/x2     

Domain Powers:
    Travel                                Trickery
    * Agile Feet (8x/Day)                 * Copy Cat (1 Rnd/Lvl, 8x/Day) - 5 left

Spells:
    Orisons (4)                           First Level (4+1)
    * Create Water                        * [s]Bless[/s]
    * Detect Magic                        * [s]Cause Fear[/s]
    * Light                               * Longstrider (Domain Spell)
    * Mending                             * Lonrach's Favor
                                          * Protection from Evil

Second Level (3+1)
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Round 01 - Conclusion

Tsadok squeezes between his allies and takes a position behind the strange creature grasping Aodhán in it's rubbery arms. He attempts to bring the two of them to the floor but the Choker quick-steps to avoid the try.

Keeland fires off a shot, his expert marksmanship more than equal to the task of threading the arrow between his friends. The clothyard shaft sinks deeply into the torso of Houwlou's foe. The choker responds with lashing tentacles, one of which finds it's mark; Houwlou's cry of rage is choked off as the reason for the thing's name becomes apparent. In a rare display of tactical savvy, the Choker drags its victim back a step, making room for the third to enter the fray.

Aodhán's grappler begins to squeeze, slowly but surely depriving the sturdy Abhác of the breath of life. Aodhán's voice is also cut off by the brutal choke hold.

The final choker steps up to enter the fight, reaching for Tsadok with ropy, rubbery arms. The brawny rogue reels as he's smacked soundly, and one of the tentacles finds a grip.

[sblock=OOC]This wraps Round 01. I have actions for Aodhán and Harnry for Round 02, so I need Houwlou, Tsadok and Keeland to wrap the round.

The map might be a little confusing - I overlapped the tokens that are engaged in grapples so they're a little out of their squares. Keep in mind that each creature/PC occupies the square it's mostly inside for purposes of movement, terrain, etc.

Anyone grappled by a Choker is grabbed by the throat and cannot use spells or abilities that require Verbal components. (At present, I think this will just affect Aodhán mechanically, though verbal communication will be difficult as well for role play purposes).

I think I've got everything there, but if I've left anything out let me know![/sblock]
[sblock=Combat Tracker]
Code:
[u]Init    Character    AC/ T/FF    HP    Conditions[/u]
 23     Choker 01    15/11/15    00    Grappled
 23     Choker 02    15/11/15    08    Grappled
 23     Choker 03    15/11/15    00    Grappled
 12     Aodhán       18/10/18    11    Grappled
 12     Harnry       14/12/12    00    None
 12     Houwlou      13/09/14    11    Grappled
 12     Keeland      16/13/13    00    None
 12     Tsadok       13/11/12    06    Grappled
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Choker.jpg
    Choker.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Keeland

Making a snap decision that Aodhán's situation is the most dire, Keeland draws and fires another arrow at the Choker holding him. His shot proves effective, but Keeland pays it little heed, already reaching for another arrow.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC - I'm guessing they have improved grapple or such so that we don not get an AoO?

[sblock=OOC]Yep. Reading through the Bestiary, it looks like pretty much any monster that uses Grapple/Trip/etc. as a part of it's attack has the ability to do so without provoking.[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Yep. Reading through the Bestiary, it looks like pretty much any monster that uses Grapple/Trip/etc. as a part of it's attack has the ability to do so without provoking.[/sblock]
[sblock]OOC: Guess it would violate some kind of 'cruel GM tenet' for you to throw us poor, afflicted pcs a bone here, huh?[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Well then, if I am not mistaken, there is not really anything we can do while grappled. It's just an opposed check so Tsadok will wriggle around and try to break the grapple each time.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]You can also attack (one handed attacks only, but that includes all of Tsadok's attacks) and cast spells (requires a concentration check). If you want to try and break the grapple you'll make a CMB roll vs. the Choker's CMD. Attacks are vs. the Choker's AC (which I'm about to go lower somewhat due to their 'Grappled' condition . . . done).[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases