A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

"Actually, not very much to speak of. There are a whole bunch of dastardly villains in there, and I still want to kill them all. But I hate them with the white-hot fervor of one million suns now, instead of merely one thousand as before. Does that make our scouting worthwhile? I'm not entirely certain...."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger
   Level: Ranger 4
   HP: 44/44     AC: 17  AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+05  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05
  Per: 15 (+2 Undead or Desert) HERO Points: 03

BAB: 04       CMB: +7     CMD: 18

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +9        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
Dagger +1 (T)           +8 (+6)   1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +7        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  & Dagger +1           +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Longsword (MW)          +5        1d8+3       19-20/x2     
  & Longsword           +4        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin   (M)           +5 (+3)   1d6+3          20/x2     Range 30'

Selected Skills (not all are shown)
Acrobatics -5; Appraise +4; Bluff +5; Climb +2; Diplomacy +3; 
Intimidate +3; Knowledge (nature) +9; Handle Animal +10; Heal +10;  
Perception +15; Profession (Guide) +10; Ride +3; Sense Motive +7; 
Spellcraft +10; Stealth +2; Survival +10; Swim -9

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
"Actually, not very much to speak of. There are a whole bunch of dastardly villains in there, and I still want to kill them all. But I hate them with the white-hot fervor of one million suns now, instead of merely one thousand as before. Does that make our scouting worthwhile? I'm not entirely certain...."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

Tsadok smiles, "What my anxious friend is not mentioning is there seems to be this Kardswann, Mouth of the Carrion King, Chieftain of the Kulldis Tribe and master of this village as he calls himself. He is at least seven feet tall, massive arms covered with scars and cradling a huge axe and he is definitely in charge of the battle market. We were lucky he must have been in a good mood when we met as he let us stay in an empty stall for the mere (said with sarcasm) price of the 20GP.

The place looks like large amphitheater. An enormous set of double doors lead into a torchlit passage beyond. About fifteen feet within the hall, on the left, stands a sturdy wooden door. Across the hall is another open passage leading east, curving with the contours of the battle market. The central hall proceeds perhaps fifty feet before opening into a large well-lit cavernous chamber that seems to be centered around a huge circular stage. Various stalls line the outer walls of the Market, many of them occupied by somewhat unfriendly looking folks.

The battle market’s four entry halls lead into a huge arena-like room dominated by a massive circular wooden stage, its surface smeared and sticky with blood. Two rows of terraced benches surround the stage, which is bathed in natural light from a large open circular hatch in the citadel’s roof far above. Torches illuminate a darkened gallery of compact market stalls in the eastern half of the first floor’s inner wall. A raised platform along the northwest curve of the inner wall sports four round tables, several wooden chairs, and a long bar stocked with numerous bottles of distilled spirits.

About twenty feet above is an open balcony, beyond which lie a series of small rooms on an upper floor of the market. Several rows of empty bleachers peer down from the edge of the balcony. Twenty feet above the second floor a half-circle balcony marks the highest of the citadel’s terraces. Three thrones look down from this vantage, each positioned to give a commanding view of not only the stage below but the entire market.

Kardswann tried to have us fight but I had a feeling that might not be the best choice for our first night there.

While there we saw perhaps 20 other gnolls that group to patrol at different times, 3 humans who were trying to do a business selling their wares in there - one of them selling addictive stuff
(you can tell from his tone Tsadok does not like this one bit) and a we also saw three bugbears at their tavern, what they do for Kardswann we can't say for sure."

OOC - Mike did, we see ANY other creatures inside, human or otherwise?

Leif

Adventurer
Houlou Grouwlenas, Olcán Ranger4

"Ohh, THAT! Like that even matters, when that BIG BAST*** is going to kill us all seconds after we enter.... Okay,so maybe it's not all that bad. But we have got to do some serious planning about how we're going to pull this off. If we can take out this Kardswann fellow first -- hit him quick and hard with everything we have, then the rest of them shouln't give us much trouble, I'm thinking."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Harnrey sits thoughtful staring into space, then says, "Perhaps they can be lured out by attacking with a summoned air spirit or two? First chance we see a patrol, I summon the first spirit, then send a helper, leaving 1 gnoll survivor."

Scotley

Hero
Keeland considers the report carefully trying to picture the place in his mind. "Is it our mission to seize the place intact? I ask because I should think such a large wooden structure filled with stalls of straw and bottles of strong spirits might burn rather easily. Especially with application of flaming arrows, alchemists fire and pyromantic magics through the rather large hole in the roof. Do you think we could get onto the roof without being detected?"

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Tsadok quickly turns to his companion. "You my friend have a VERY interesting approach. A fire would certainly cause a lot of chaos as well that might work to our advantage.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the possible loss of innocent life this method my cause though. Although I'm sure Kardswann can be quite ruthless, he was accommodating to us and I'd like us to plan this so that we might minimize senseless loss of life.

All things taken into account, this thought has real merit as we may get them to leave on their own accord if it's more trouble to rebuild than it's worth and if Almah wants only the land, not necessarily the buildings as well."

Scotley

Hero
"A fire spirit would certainly be of use. I too would not cause significant loss of 'innocent' lives, but from the way you described the place I was not picturing a lot of innocents within."

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

"My thoughts parallel yours, Keeland. Since we didn't see anyone in chains or any cages, the logical conclusion is that all within are there willingly. I am not apt to shed any tears for anyone who makes such a choice. In my book, such choices are made at peril of life and limb, and I would visit punishment on all those who choose this life."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
About this time, Almah knocks on the doorjam and enters. "Well, gentlemen? Has your scouting expedition yielded valuable information? And do you have a plan for retaking the Battle Market - and Kelmarane - for me?"

Remove ads