A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

"Milady, 'twould be a far easier task if you could grant us one thousand spearmen to march on the Battlemarket with us. Nevertheless, we will find a way to do it if that is what you require of us," says Houwlou fatalistically.

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger
   Level: Ranger 4
   HP: 44/44     AC: 17  AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+05  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05
  Per: 15 (+2 Undead or Desert) HERO Points: 03

BAB: 04       CMB: +7     CMD: 18

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +9        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
Dagger +1 (T)           +8 (+6)   1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +7        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  & Dagger +1           +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Longsword (MW)          +5        1d8+3       19-20/x2     
  & Longsword           +4        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin   (M)           +5 (+3)   1d6+3          20/x2     Range 30'

Selected Skills (not all are shown)
Acrobatics -5; Appraise +4; Bluff +5; Climb +2; Diplomacy +3; 
Intimidate +3; Knowledge (nature) +9; Handle Animal +10; Heal +10;  
Perception +15; Profession (Guide) +10; Ride +3; Sense Motive +7; 
Spellcraft +10; Stealth +2; Survival +10; Swim -9

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Harnrey pictures in his mind the spear hedge of 1000 spears and is gld to be on Howlou's side. None the less he watches their client for her reaction as well.

sense motive +4

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Almah's laugh in response to Houwlou's suggestion is truly good natured. "Sir Wolf, had I 1000 spears to send with you, I wouldn't have needed you in the first place. My understanding from your Captain was that you were each worth 1000 spears . . ." (she smiles slightly) ". . . that's why I paid him such an exorbitant amount for your services."

She looks thoughtful for a moment.

"My guards tell me that it may be possible to thin the ranks somewhat by ambushing some of their patrols. And there may be places within Kelmarane where you could hide and from where you could stage your operations. Strategically, it's not so different a problem from merchanting. When faced with a superior force, it's best to find a way to even the odds before provoking a direct confrontation.

"Rest assured that while I don't want to sit here cooling my heels if there's no progress being made, I'm not averse to waiting as long as is needful for you to do your job."

mleibrock

First Post
Almah's laugh in response to Houwlou's suggestion is truly good natured. "Sir Wolf, had I 1000 spears to send with you, I wouldn't have needed you in the first place. My understanding from your Captain was that you were each worth 1000 spears . . ." (she smiles slightly) ". . . that's why I paid him such an exorbitant amount for your services."

She looks thoughtful for a moment.

"My guards tell me that it may be possible to thin the ranks somewhat by ambushing some of their patrols. And there may be places within Kelmarane where you could hide and from where you could stage your operations. Strategically, it's not so different a problem from merchanting. When faced with a superior force, it's best to find a way to even the odds before provoking a direct confrontation.

"Rest assured that while I don't want to sit here cooling my heels if there's no progress being made, I'm not averse to waiting as long as is needful for you to do your job."

Tsadok speaks up, "And what of the buildings? Do they need to remain intact?"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
She looks pensive, then troubled. "The less rebuilding we must do the better. The PactMasters have tasked me with re-establishing the Battle Market as a viable trading entity in this region. That becomes problematic if there's no building from which to trade.

"Many of the town buildings already need major work or complete rebuilding, but from here it looks as though the Market building itself is in good shape; I'd prefer to keep it that way."

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

"I recommend that we first scout out three or four such places from which to stage ambushes and prepare them to our liking before we begin the ambushes. That way, if need be, we can move straight from one to the next quickly, and find our new theater of operations ready for action. By the way, Lady Almah, exactly how exorbitant was the price for our services? I'm wondering whether we should plead for permission to re-negotiate...."

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger
   Level: Ranger 4
   HP: 44/44     AC: 17  AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+05  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05
  Per: 15 (+2 Undead or Desert) HERO Points: 03

BAB: 04       CMB: +7     CMD: 18

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +9        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
Dagger +1 (T)           +8 (+6)   1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +7        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  & Dagger +1           +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Longsword (MW)          +5        1d8+3       19-20/x2     
  & Longsword           +4        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin   (M)           +5 (+3)   1d6+3          20/x2     Range 30'

Selected Skills (not all are shown)
Acrobatics -5; Appraise +4; Bluff +5; Climb +2; Diplomacy +3; 
Intimidate +3; Knowledge (nature) +9; Handle Animal +10; Heal +10;  
Perception +15; Profession (Guide) +10; Ride +3; Sense Motive +7; 
Spellcraft +10; Stealth +2; Survival +10; Swim -9

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
"Ah well, it was a good idea while it lasted. If we cannot defeat the forces arrayed against us with other tactics may we attempt the fire as a last resort? We shall set ourselves to bringing them down with hit and run tactics and ambushes a few at a time and see how we do."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Yes, if it comes down to it it's more important to wrest control of the town and the Market from these . . . people . . . than to preserve the building. But I'll expect - and trust - that you'll do everything in your power to maintain the building intact, and to preserve as much of the existing town structure as possible."

Remove ads