D&D 4E Looking for new 4e modules (casual)

Blackbrrd

First Post
I am thinking about starting a casual game that can be done on weekdays and I am therefore looking for some casual 4e modules.

I want something that is easy to prepare for and relatively combat heavy. Having some interesting and challenging combats is a big plus in my book. (No encounters with 5 of the same monsters in a 30'x30' room.)

I started the WotBS and liked it a lot, but the prep time is too high - otherwise it would be perfect.

I have a relatively good overview of modules that were published before 2010, but not so good lately and would prefer newer modules over old ones. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Festivus

First Post
Living Forgotten Realms adventures are all about 4 hours in length, require little more than a hour of prep (most of the time, often less) and are a complete story (or at least more of a story than the delve book will give you)

Edit: You said combat heavy, my bad. So yeah, Delves and the downloadable Delve night adventures (there are 3 or 4 of them).

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'll second both of these suggestions - Dungeon Delve and LFR adventures. LFR adventures do have story, but they also have combat. If you just want to get together and bash things, you can do LFR adventures very easily with minimal story, feeling free to hand-wave the skill challenges if you like.

Vinicius_Zoio

Explorer
And if you or one of your players happens to be a D&D Insider, I would also suggest the Chaos Scar adventures, that may prove to be exactly the kind of thing you want :).

Blackbrrd

First Post
Living Forgotten Realms adventures are all about 4 hours in length, require little more than a hour of prep (most of the time, often less) and are a complete story (or at least more of a story than the delve book will give you)

Edit: You said combat heavy, my bad. So yeah, Delves and the downloadable Delve night adventures (there are 3 or 4 of them).

I have nothing against a little roleplaying, but good roleplaying usually demands quite a bit of prep time. A self-contained 4 hour module is about as perfect as it can get. :)

How do I get hold of the LFR modules?

How do I get hold of the Delve night adventures?

Checked out the Chaos scar wiki and it seems it's entirely contained in a dungeon. Which isn't something I really enjoy and forgot to mention. :(

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. :)

Klaus

First Post
I have nothing against a little roleplaying, but good roleplaying usually demands quite a bit of prep time. A self-contained 4 hour module is about as perfect as it can get. :)

Checked out the Chaos scar wiki and it seems it's entirely contained in a dungeon. Which isn't something I really enjoy and forgot to mention. :(

Chaos Scar adventures are not all set in a dungeon. They're several short adventures that take place near a valley known as the Chaos Scar (cut by the fall of a meteor in the past).

Festivus

First Post

As I understand it, soon they will become simple downloads (I think January). Until then, there are a few hoops you have to jump through.

Here is a link to the LFR homepage:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Event (Living Forgotten Realms)

Basically, you log into the DCI site with your RPGA or DCI number (If you need one, send me a PM and I'll get you one, I can't seem to find the link to get one online).

Here is a link to where I go to order adventures:
https://webapp.wizards.com/login.aspx?target=personal&action=opis_sso

Once logged in, you go to the Personal Information Center, then Event Sanctioning, choose either Dungeons & Dragons or Dungeons & Dragons Public Play depending upon where you plan to run. Follow the prompts for venue, and date of event, then finally you will see a list of adventures (including the delve ones). Check the adventures you want, and then at the bottom of the list click to ADD/Remove selected adventures. For private play I think you can pick 4. Once they are all selected, click next, and then submit. Now, click on My Events, and then the event you have selected. There should be a download link to the adventure within that event.

This seems like a lot to go through, and it is... but once you get used to it, it's pretty quick. In January I hear they are scrapping this method of ordering adventures, which will be a good thing in my opinion, because one of the biggest hurdles to getting people to try Living Forgotten Realms adventures has been getting the adventures to people who want to run them (in my opinion of course).

cpendlet

First Post
Chaos Scar adventures are not all set in a dungeon. They're several short adventures that take place near a valley known as the Chaos Scar (cut by the fall of a meteor in the past).

I have played (as a player) through 3 or 4 of them and at least 2 were at least partly outside or in buildings (one was all in a cave). Each one is independent (the do have a common theme of finding pieces of the above mentioned meteor - seems to be a source of evil) of the others so you can run whichever ones you want.

Truename

First Post
I have nothing against a little roleplaying, but good roleplaying usually demands quite a bit of prep time. A self-contained 4 hour module is about as perfect as it can get.

Scales of War (in DDI Dungeon) has some excellent set-piece battles, and it's *very* easy to run. I ran it straight out of the book in most cases. Plot and role-playing is just sketched in. A good choice if you want a combat focus and you're into adventure paths.

Remove ads