DM Software

rwelle

First Post
What do you other DMs use for map software? Just thinking of maps for the battles. Could do a simple grid with letters but would like to be able to use a grid overlay with a map and images for characters and monsters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Someone

Adventurer
I've used Photoshop and Flash (even animated maps); both are quick to use when you know what you're doing, but getting and learning to use them just for the purpose of making pbp maps it's overkill.

There are free image manipulation programs, like paint.net you may want to use; and there are also web based applications for map making, but I don't know them well.

rwelle

First Post
Thanks for all the quick responses and suggestions.

GIMP is definitely my fall back seems like it would be pretty easy since you just have to make a grid and then import a map layer and character tokens on their own layers.

Will look at maptools and see how I like that, thanks again!

One other quick question, can I put links in my signature? a href doesn't seem to work in there or do I need to put html brackets around it?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I use Masterplan - not just for online games, but for RL games as well. The only downside is if you have a complex combat and want to label the creatures somehow. No option to do that, at least that I've found.

That's just about the only complaint I have with it however, otherwise it rocks. They do drop a new version every few weeks though it seems so they might add that in the future. In fact, they drop them often enough that I don't even know how to use half the features the program has!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases