DM Software

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Masterplan is prettly cool! I just started checking it out after reading your post.

Pros:

• It's great for laying out a story (which I love).
  • It automatically loads *.monster and *.dnd4e files. While using MapTool, I would always wish that I could have this feature.
  • FREE DUNGEON TILES! I found the link to the Yahoo group that has these for use with Masterplan.
  • It allows you to ghost maps over each other so you can see that your staircases, ramps, and pits in the right places

Cons:

• It takes a reeeeally long time to learn(93 page manual and an extremely cryptic and constraining interface).
  • Currently, there is no way to dis-associate artwork with the grid. Custom or downloaded artwork has to be resized so that it can snap to the grid. If your not good at photoshop, you're Maptool artwork is pretty much useless.
  • Artwork has to be separately imported into libraries.
  • There's a bug when using background maps. You can't manipulate foreground objects while the background map is visible.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Tenchuu: These are the Character Builder and Adventure Tools file extensions. When you create a character in the CB application and save it, it saves as a *.dnd4e file. When you export the statblock of a monster from the Adventure Tools application, it saves as a *.monster file. That way you don't have to key in all the monster and PC stats. You just load them in.

Unfortunately, whatever time this saves is lost on redesign of your custom artwork. I just finished laying out a single encounter for a Scepter Tower game, and it took me for ever to get a simple treasure parcel to load and get the map scaled right :rant: I think MapTool is still better from a practical point of view. Plus, when WotC goes web, the file interface will be useless.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
You're probably right about .monster files.

I also wonder what happens when you import them into this map tool.
MT won't let you do this. You kind of have to write your own macro to parse the files, or find someone on RPTools.net who has already done it. If you find someone who's done this, let me know. I would looooove it.

Tenchuu

First Post
What would that get you, exactly? I guess there is a whole font of functionality I'm not using in maptool. So, sorry for being dense, but how would the monster being loaded in be helpful? Can you give me an example of what you do manually in MT now?

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Tenchuu: Not much for how we use it on ENWorld. It's mostly useful for preparing TT or server-based games where you're using a computer to track the combat, or if you're trying to write an adventure that you want to share with others. It allows you to do ability checks and power usages at the push of a button that are automatically customized to the monster's powers and skills. It also automates the rolling of initiative and tracking of turns. These things come in handy in TT games, but are pretty much useless for PbP.

MapTool let's you write macros for doing things like this, and there are some tools available (CharacterTool, InitiativeTool, etc...), but like I said, it's only a benefit for TT or server-based games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases