Proposal: Allow swapping of new racial features from Essentials update.

Luinnar

First Post
Since the Essentials update will go live this month, I thought that current characters should be able to take advantage the new changes featured for the races.

I propose changing the wording of the charter to:
If new character options have been approved for play in L4W since your character’s last approval of submission or level-up, you may additionally retrain one new feat, power, and class or racial feature (when selectable) from the new source(s).
This would allow Dwarfs to change their secondary ability scores, or Humans to swap their 3rd at-will for Heroic Effort for example.

renau1g

First Post
Hmm, I have to see when the October rules update comes out, but it may be an errata, so it would be in effect right away. It's a bit of an odd case. Personally, I want to wait until I a) see the Rules update & b) see the actual stuff when it gets updated in the CB.

Luinnar

First Post
Are there not any other racial features in late-breaking publication that would serve as an actionable example?
Not that I can think of, besides the ones the new essential book that just came out, but you can view the race changes errata here. There is also another book in November, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms that is going to have the other PHB 1 races, but it will probably just be a PH3 style ability score changes.

They will probably update all the race ability scores eventually, but those two books are the only ones I know of that have updated races in them.

By the way, the October rules came out and lists no changes to races, but mentions that they will have the changes from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms book in November errata.

Edit: Here is the racial changes so far:
Player’s Handbook
Dwarf
Page 36: When adding up your ability score bonuses, you now gain a +2 bonus to Constitution and your choice of Strength or Wisdom.

Eladrin
Page 38: When adding up your ability score bonuses, you now gain a +2 bonus to Intelligence and your choice of Dexterity or Charisma.

Elf
Page 40: When adding up your ability score bonuses, you now gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and your choice of Wisdom or Intelligence.

Halfling

Page 44: When adding up your ability score bonuses, you now gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity and your choice of Constitution or Charisma.

Human

Page 46: When playing a human, you can now choose between taking a bonus at-will attack power from your class or gaining the heroic effort racial power.

Heroic Effort Human Racial Utility
Your grim focus and unbridled energy means that failure is not
an option.
Encounter
No Action Personal
Trigger: You miss with an attack or fail a saving throw.
Effect: You gain a +4 racial bonus to the attack roll or saving throw.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
They also changed dwarf's ability to use second wind as a minor from an ability to an encounter power, as there were ways to use it 2-3 times per encounter. This is my reluctance to vote right now as there's missing/incomplete information.

evilbob

Explorer
This is definitely a frustrating time for anyone wishing clarity on rules. Hopefully in a month or so we'll all be set straight and that's that. ...Until the next time Wizards releases a book without an update for 3 months. :hmm:

At this time, neither the Character Builder nor the Compendium have the new rules on races. There hasn't been a dedicated errata document stating these changes, but the compiled errata as of October includes them. HOWEVER, the October summary errata does not include anything other than the ability score changes - nothing about 2nd wind for dwarves, for example.

At this point, my opinion is that I'd call the stat changes errata'd and therefore officially ok. Anything else is still questionable.

CaBaNa

First Post
was that September errata, or was that "This errata, coming soon..."

If that was errata, we need to address item rarity as a community.

Last edited:

Remove ads