Space Gamer, Different Worlds, Fantasy Gamer, White Wolf magazine, Shadis, Pyramid...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Space Gamer, Different Worlds, Fantasy Gamer, White Wolf magazine, Shadis, Pyramid...

At the D&D WikiProject on Wikipedia, we're always looking to improve the quality of our articles. We hope to get more and more in as good quality as those for the original Ravenloft module (featured on the main page today) and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (featured in July).

Some of the best resources we have found are the reviews, previews, interviews, and other coverage found in various gaming magazines, such as older issues of White Dwarf from Games Workshop. There are at least half a dozen such magazines, some old and some not so old, which have covered D&D products to some degree. I have gotten my hands on a good chunk of White Dwarf issues from before they put the focus solely on Games Workshop products, and the content I have been able to add to Wikipedia articles has been fantastic. But my collection of retro gaming magazines, and other useful sources, is so terribly incomplete!

I recently started a thread on our WikiProject regarding getting access to more sources for article improvement. As I noted there, I came up with a list of magazines with reviews in them that we can use to improve (or create) articles on various D&D publications. If you have copies of any of the issues listed there, or issues of some other magazine with reviews which I was not previously aware, you can help out in a big way! You don't have to do any actual editing on Wikipedia, as I'm more than willing to put in the work. If you could send me a copy of the text of the reviews, or a readable scan of any of the reviews on that list (including author name, issue #, cover date, page numbers, publisher name, please) I will do all the work myself.

Any way you can help out, small or big, is appreciated!

I'm not sure how much help it'll be, but Space Gamer issues are being released in PDF by sjgames.

e23 Search Results
    DMSGuild Hottest items
    http://www.dmsguild.com/top_100.php?affiliate_id=182934
    Note that both the above links have my affiliate id.
    https://www.twitter.com/darjr

$3 each, not bad... maybe if there are any issues I really need to see, I will check that out.

Kevin---

How about reposting the msg content here for the lazy/non-wiki-inclined among us?

You mean just the reviews list? I'm feeling lazy myself, so I haven't bothered to add the strikeouts for the ones that are completed (about 5% of them), so you'll have to click on the link in my first post to be sure. It doesn't look as good on here anyway!

Different Worlds
    Different Worlds #8: The Keep on the Borderlands

Different Worlds #12: The Isle of Dread, Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set, Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set, Slave Pits of the Undercity

Different Worlds #15: Fiend Folio

Different Worlds #16: Secret of the Slavers Stockade, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, The Secret of Bone Hill

Different Worlds #17: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords, In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords

Different Worlds #19: Deities & Demigods, Palace of the Silver Princess

Different Worlds #20: Against the Giants, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Different Worlds #21: Descent into the Depths of the Earth

Different Worlds #28: The Lost City

Different Worlds #33: Monster Manual II

Different Worlds #34: Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set

Different Worlds #35: Dungeonland, The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror

Different Worlds #37: Blizzard Pass

Different Worlds #42: Unearthed Arcana

Different Worlds #43: Battlesystem

[edit] Fantasy Gamer
    Fantasy Gamer #1: Blizzard Pass, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, Beyond the Crystal Cave

Fantasy Gamer #2: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater

Fantasy Gamer #6: Dungeonland, The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, Monster Manual II, Horror on the Hill, Maze of the Riddling Minotaur

[edit] Pyramid
    Pyramid #8: Planescape Campaign Setting

Pyramid #9: Spellfire (card game)

Pyramid #15: Encyclopedia Magica Volume One

Pyramid #16: Birthright Campaign Setting

Pyramid #22: Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar: The New Adventures of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser

Pyramid #25: A Guide to the Astral Plane

[edit] Shadis
    Shadis #24: Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Birthright Product Line

Shadis #27: Dragonlance: The Fifth Age

Shadis #28: In Search of the Unknown

Shadis #29: The Keep on the Borderlands

Shadis #30: Slave Pits of the Undercity

Shadis #32: Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords

Shadis #33: Requiem: The Grim Harvest, In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords

Shadis #48: Wizard's Spell Compendium Volume Three

Shadis #50: The Adventure Begins, Return of the Eight, Player's Guide to Greyhawk

[edit] The Space Gamer
    The Space Gamer #7: Eldritch Wizardry

The Space Gamer #9: Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes

The Space Gamer #11: Swords & Spells

The Space Gamer #29: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

The Space Gamer #33: World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting

The Space Gamer #34: Deities & Demigods

The Space Gamer #35: Queen of the Demonweb Pits, Slave Pits of the Undercity, The Village of Hommlet

The Space Gamer #36: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

The Space Gamer #37: The Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain

The Space Gamer #38: Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set, The Isle of Dread

The Space Gamer #44: Hall of the Fire Giant King

The Space Gamer #54: Pharaoh

The Space Gamer #71: The Assassin's Knot, The Gem and the Staff, Master of the Desert Nomads, Temple of Death

The Space Gamer #72: Quagmire!, Ravenloft

The Space Gamer #73: Conan Unchained!, Dragons of Flame, Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, Midnight on Dagger Alley, When a Star Falls, Rahasia

The Space Gamer #75: Ghost of Lion Castle

Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer #80: Swords of the Undercity

Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer #81: Swords of the Daimyo, Night of the Seven Swords, Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior

[edit] The V.I.P. of Gaming
    The V.I.P. of Gaming Magazine #2: Castle Caldwell and Beyond, Earthshaker!, Bloodstone Pass, Battlesystem, Dungeons & Dragons Master Rules, Mystery of the Snow Pearls, Dragons of War, Dark Clouds Gather, Journey to the Rock

The V.I.P. of Gaming Magazine #3: Battlesystem, Unearthed Arcana, Conan the Buccaneer, Conan the Mercenary

The V.I.P. of Gaming Magazine #4: The Temple of Elemental Evil

[edit] White Wolf
    White Wolf #13: Greyhawk Adventures

White Wolf #17: Second Edition Player's Handbook

White Wolf #20: The City of Greyhawk

White Wolf #23: Forgotten Realms Adventures, The Complete Fighter's Handbook, The Complete Thief's Handbook, The Complete Priest's Handbook, The Complete Wizard's Handbook, Ravenloft Campaign Setting

White Wolf #24: Greyhawk Ruins

White Wolf #27: The Castle Guide, Legends & Lore

White Wolf #30: Dark Sun, Arms and Equipment Guide, Draconomicon, Horde Campaign, Maztica Campaign Set, The Ruins of Undermountain, Tome of Magic

White Wolf #31: Ship of Horrors, Darklords

White Wolf #34: From the Ashes, Al-Qadim: Arabian Adventures, Land of Fate, The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game

White Wolf #35: Fighter's Challenge, Wizard's Challenge, Treasures of Greyhawk, Rary the Traitor, Dragon Kings, Arcane Shadows, Dune Trader, Slave Tribes, Monstrous Compendium Dark Sun Appendix: Terrors of the Desert, Night Howlers

White Wolf #36: Celts Campaign Sourcebook, The Magic Encyclopedia Volume One, Golden Voyages, Monster Mythology, Asticlian Gambit, Veiled Alliance, Gold & Glory, The Great Glacier, Hordes Of Dragonspear, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, Forbidden Lore, Islands of Terror, Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts

White Wolf #37: The Murky Deep, Swamplight, Roots of Evil

White Wolf #38: The Complete Book of Humanoids, The Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings, Deck of Magical Items, Creative Campaigning, Dragon's Crown, Black Flames, Creature Catalogue, Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master Screen, The Knight of Newts, Sons of Azca, Rage of the Rakasta

White Wolf #40: Cleric's Challenge, The Magic Encyclopedia Volume Two, The Code of the Harpers, The Ruins of Myth Drannor, Champions of Mystara

White Wolf #41: Book of Artifacts, Doom of Daggerdale, The Shining South

White Wolf #42: Tales of Enchantment, Thief's Challenge, Secrets of the Lamp, House of Strahd

White Wolf #43: Planescape Campaign Setting, Iuz the Evil, Assassin Mountain, New Tales: The Land Reborn, Castles Forlorn

White Wolf #44: A Dozen and One Adventures, Van Richten's Guide to the Lich

White Wolf #45: Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts

White Wolf #50: The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook

White Wolf #53: Planes of Chaos
    Last edited by BOZ; Wednesday, 27th October, 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: minimizing this text to make the thread shorter ;)

Is that what you were thinking of?

In a box somewhere, I have most of the issues of Adventure Gaming, Tim Kask's excellent but short-lived magazine from the early '80s. I don't recall how much there was in the way of D&D reviews in those, but as I find the time in the next couple weeks, I'll dig 'em out and look.

Quote Originally Posted by BOZ View Post
    Is that what you were thinking of?
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZog View Post
    In a box somewhere, I have most of the issues of Adventure Gaming, Tim Kask's excellent but short-lived magazine from the early '80s. I don't recall how much there was in the way of D&D reviews in those, but as I find the time in the next couple weeks, I'll dig 'em out and look.
    Keep me updated.

Hey, cool! I got an opportunity to look at the reviews from "The Space Gamer" #35, which allowed me to add information from reviews for The Village of Hommlet, Slave Pits of the Undercity, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits! Hopefully each of the corresponding articles is thusly a little bit better.

Anyone got any more of these mags?

Quick Reply Quick Reply