DDI September/October Update info

mudbunny

Community Supporter
As posted by Trevor here

Hey all. We are currently in the process of developing a new web-based tools system for D&D Insider which has factored into recent content update delays. We will continue to provide D&D Insider members with additional information as our progress develops. In the meantime, we are back on schedule to provide members with our regular content updates.

October 2010 Tools News

The 12 OCT update is for the Character Builder and Compendium. Monster Builder will be updated at a later date.

Data Update:

Data from the following published materials are new this month to the Character Builder:

Books

Psionic Power

Magazines

Dragon # 389

Dragon #390

Dungeon #180

Dungeon #181

Data from the following published materials are new this month to the Compendium:

Books

Psionic Power

Dark Sun Campaign Setting

D&D Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Magazines

Dragon #389

Dragon #390

Dungeon #180

Last edited:

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Thanks for the update.

I'm really interested in what they mean by "web-based tools system for D&D Insider."

Does this mean they are going to a web-based client for all the tools (including the Character Builder and Adventure Tools)? Or, is this strictly for a few new tools they are working on?

Also, I notice the Compendium is being updated with Dark Sun data, but not the Character Builder. That's disappointing, but I'm happy they are updating something, especially with the news of an entirely new system for D&DI.

Hmmm. This tidbit raises more questions than it seems to answer. I guess we'll find out more in time.

So, October 12th is when this stuff is being updated? Sounds good.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I am trying to gather more information on the web-based tools, like release date, what is involved, what platform the tools will be based on, etc. As soon as I get more info, I will share. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them in the thread and I will answer what i can and pass the others on to WotC. (As always, answers may or may not be forthcoming, blahblahblah)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Wow. So, no Dark Sun and no Heroes of the Forgotten Lands in the Character Builder this month? That's disappointing. At least they're sharing some information now.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Wow. So, no Dark Sun and no Heroes of the Forgotten Lands in the Character Builder this month? That's disappointing. At least they're sharing some information now.

Well, we don't know for certain that there won't be a second update later this month with DS and Essentials in the CB (however, that seems unlikely).

It's funny because the original message says:

In the meantime, we are back on schedule to provide members with our regular content updates.

But, how can they be back on schedule for "regular content updates" if they aren't scheduled to release Dark Sun content that came out in August? :) The "regular content updates" usually meant the previous months books on the first Tuesday of the following month. I guess he means, "we'll be releasing something each month at our regular time..."

Just an observation.

Scribble

First Post
My guess is:

New stuff from Dark Sun and Essentials is taking way more time to implement in the system then expected, and they probably would have missed the October deadline.

Sooo roll back the CB to what it is curently and update it with the stuff that isn't different, and release, while working on a second version for the Essentials and Darksun stuff, and release when finished.

This way they can still make the October deadline... sort of.

renau1g

First Post
So...I'm no programmer, heck I'm barely above end user who calls tech support because they keep locking out their password type. Does this mean I must be connected to the web to use the CB? If it is, I will certainly not be a happy camper.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Interesting, looks like the CB needed a lot of new development so they have had to roll back and only add content that works with current functionality.

So, que rampant and unjustified speculation on the New Web tools.
Is CB going to become a web app?
ditto Monster builder?
Or are hte web tooks new functionality not currently provided?
Will stuff continue to be able to function locally without a web connection?

Remove ads