Pathfinder 1E D&D and Pathfinder tied for first place on ICv2 Q3 RPG sales list

Mercurius

Legend
Wow, that's quite remarkable. I remember a discussion either here or on RPG.Net a couple years ago about the impossibility of a fantasy game ever becoming a close competitor to D&D, yet now it seems that Pathfinder has managed to do so (of course Pathfinder is D&D, but that's beside the point ;).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hehe. :devil:

Totally not surprised. And I do believe I can hear the shrieks, mantras of denial and beating of fists all the way over here. . .

:lol:

Cor_Malek

First Post
Totally not surprised. And I do believe I can hear the shrieks, mantras of denial and beating of fists all the way over here. . .

Well at least one mantra of denial comes from an avid PF fan, yours truly.

"The charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers." Which I read as "we didn't bother even with pulling numbers out of :):(:), we just asked a question we won't bother to repeat, so people won't be able to question the methodology".
I mean, I find this believable, but with a grain of salt I applied? Tells me two things I didn't know already: one is jack, the second you can guess. Pathfinder was a large success that caught many off-guard. I wouldn't be surprised if, in reality, it's far in the second place, which is still a lot better than what most people anticipated, which in turn makes retailers mention it more often.

Besides, if it was true indication of sales? With Paizo selling it's product directly, and most successful ones via subscription - it'd mean they are in first place.
Which, with all my love for the system - I just do not believe. Not with 4e marketing, availability, brand etc.

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
What Cor Malek said. But hey, if you say what someone wants to hear, they'll believe you regardless of actual data. A certain tycoon has built a veritable media empire on that premise.

Remove ads