Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend

Someone just found this on the WotC forum. (EDIT - Berenmir, in this thread)
    Not sure what it is yet, but if that release date is accurate it's surprising we didn't already have info on it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Class-Compendium-Dungeons-Dragons-Accessory/dp/0786958588/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286412730&sr=1-2"]Here's the Amazon page.[/ame]

February 2011?

Thought it might make for some interesting speculation.
    Let's talk!
    Last edited by Almacov; Thursday, 7th October, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

I like the cover art, but it doesn't give me much insight as to what we're looking at contents-wise.

Are they reworking/rereleasing some of the 4e classes that weren't touched upon in the Essentials line?
    Are they creating new builds for classes that were examined in HotFL/HotFK? New schools/domains?
    Completely new classes? Something entirely unexpected?

All we can do is wonder so far.

What would you like to see?

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Jools

Friend+
    Compendium means "a compilation of a body of knowledge" which suggests to me a collection of material already previously available. Could it be the PHB classes collected together in their most current, errated form? Perhaps this is their way of keeping the PHB material in print. Maybe PHB2 too as that appears to be dragonborn shaman on the cover.
    Last edited by Jools; Friday, 8th October, 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jools View Post
    Compendium means "a compilation of a body of knowledge" which suggests to me a collection material already previously available. Could it be the PHB classes collected together in their most current, errated form?
    That would be interesting, but it seems like that would make for a fair number of powers printed for the third time. Unless, of course, they simply replaced those that were reprinted in HotFL or HotFK with new content.

It may just be the distinctiveness of calling this "Heroes of Legend", but I'm doubtful that this is a strict compilation of PHB stuff. It's possible, though.

Actually, yes, this does seem very possible. It wasn't announced at GenCon, the cover image doesn't even have any indication who worked on it... a quicky assembled effort to reintroduce old material via the paperback format makes some sense.
    In that scenario though, I imagine they'd want to do some shuffling - including class features, feats, or powers from older supplement books, perhaps? (Rules for familiars from Arcane Power make a sensible inclusion, for instance.)

One thing that makes me doubt this though, is that cutting and pasting PHB classes would necessitate reintroducing rituals, and I'm not sure a supplement called Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend is the venue to do that.
    It could very well be though.

I'd prefer new content, personally, but having older stuff errata-fied and in paperback might be nice.
    I wouldn't mind having an up-to-date source for pact-selecting Warlocks, and the Warlord class (Which has been appreciating in value lately...).
    Last edited by Almacov; Friday, 8th October, 2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: further thought

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block AngryMojo

Friend+
    The text says it's a paperback, the image looks like the 6"x9" format that Essentials follows. I don't know what this tells us, but it's interesting.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Mengu

Friend+
    I'm guessing more builds on a few existing classes. It doesn't say "Essentials" anywhere on it so I'm hoping this is just going back to X Power books, but instead of focusing on a power source which pigeon holes their class selection, they will be able to provide builds for classes they feel they can expand on. I can certainly see a warlock pact here, a cleric domain there, maybe an animalist shaman, just whatever they can work in.

I'm wondering if game stores will be able to treat these soft cover books like quarterly magazines. You stock them for 3 months to a year, then don't worry about it after that.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block denzoner

Friend+
    Based on this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Players-Option-Heroes-Shadow-Supplement/dp/078695745X]Amazon.com: Player's Option: Heroes of Shadow: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement (9780786957453): Wizards RPG Team: Books[/ame] My guess it's going to be a reprint of some of the classes from PH1-3. The cover style replicates the original hardback style, but the small format fits the Essential line of books. While Heroes of Shadow will be the Shadow Powers book some of us have been speculating for a while, with (I'm assuming) all new classes, builds and races for no matter what "entry" point you use to play 4e.

The reign of the PHB and DMG is dead.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Minifig

Friend+
    Could it be a re-print of the PH1-3 in the new Essential styling.. ?

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Reaper Steve

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by denzoner View Post
    The reign of the PHB and DMG is dead.
    I've been expecting this since Essentials was announced.
    The death of that model is well overdue IMO.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block the Jester

Friend+
    There are plenty of PHs in stock in the warehouses.

My guess would be new builds and such, but who knows? Maybe all new paragon paths and epic destinies? Something for epic pcs?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply