LEB Discussion Thread '10 Pt 2

Luinnar

First Post
Sooooo, I was thinking of making a Dragonborn Charisma Paladin (for that mark with the breath weapon feat). Good idea? Any tips?

evilbob

Explorer
Unless you take a feat I -think- (maybe they've changed it?) your OAs will not be very threatening. One feat fixes that, but paladins are already sort of feat-starved. The same thing is true for a dragonborn's breath weapon: if you take like 3 feats it can be awesome, but anything less than that generally means it's sort of weak.

I'm probably being overly harsh, though.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Sooooo, I was thinking of making a Dragonborn Charisma Paladin (for that mark with the breath weapon feat). Good idea? Any tips?

Yes. Take the Mighty Challenge feat along with the Draconic Challenge and Enlarged Dragon Breath feats. Keep the Paladin a bit of a distance in front of the group and use it on round one. The rest of the PCs (everyone but the Controller(s)) should then charge into the fray, preventing some of the foes from targeting the Paladin. This tactic should work especially well in rooms where multiple foes have to be in some 5x5 section. If the foes shift back and target the Paladin with ranged attacks, the Controller should be able to target some of them in an area power.

Since the Dragonborn Paladin gets +2 to Str, start out with Cha 18 and Str 16, that way the normal Divine Challenge is still doing 10 points of damage. That also gives you 8 points left over to have 14 Dex and 13 Con.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post

I always thought there was a difference between a Mark, a Divine Sanction and a Divine Challenge for a Paladin. So, if a Paladin Mark doesn't mean he has put his enemy under his divine sanction, even less under his divine challenge.

Walking Dad

First Post
Unless you take a feat I -think- (maybe they've changed it?) your OAs will not be very threatening. One feat fixes that, but paladins are already sort of feat-starved. The same thing is true for a dragonborn's breath weapon: if you take like 3 feats it can be awesome, but anything less than that generally means it's sort of weak.

I'm probably being overly harsh, though.
There is a Cha At-Will in Divine Power that counts as a base attack. That should help for OAs.

Antithetist

First Post
I always thought there was a difference between a Mark, a Divine Sanction and a Divine Challenge for a Paladin. So, if a Paladin Mark doesn't mean he has put his enemy under his divine sanction, even less under his divine challenge.

Pretty sure this is right. I just made a Paladin as my second character over in L4W, and took the Mighty Challenge feat; it adds the Str bonus specifically to your Divine Challenge power, which is not the same thing as your Divine Sanction, which in turn is not the same thing as the generic 'mark' applied by certain powers that were published before Divine Power came out and the concept of the Divine Sanction was introduced.

Luinnar

First Post
Thanks everyone! :)

Divine Sanction is just a EONT Divine Challenge without the mark, correct?

Also I read polearms are good weapon for them, but you need a lot of feats for them. Is there a good polearm feat combo?

Antithetist

First Post
Divine Sanction is just a EONT Divine Challenge without the mark, correct?

Nah. Divine Sanction does mark, and it doesn't necessarily only last TENT - it lasts as long as specified by the power that applies it (which often is TENT, but not always). Just like Divine Challenge, it does damage to a target that ignores the mark.

The key point is in the wording of Mighty Challenge, though, which refers specifically to 'a target of your divine challenge' - Divine Sanction functions identically to Divine Challenge (although with fewer restrictions), but it isn't Divine Challenge, so it doesn't benefit from the feat.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The key point is in the wording of Mighty Challenge, though, which refers specifically to 'a target of your divine challenge' - Divine Sanction functions identically to Divine Challenge (although with fewer restrictions), but it isn't Divine Challenge, so it doesn't benefit from the feat.

Right.

The reason I suggested Mighty Challenge is to give the PC a strong Divine Challenge for rounds other than the one in which he would use Draconic Challenge and Enlarged Dragon Breath (he could actually use it on that round as well, but it would be more rare).

Draconic Challenge and Enlarged Dragon Breath are two feats used for a single round of an encounter. That means that they will be heavily wasted feats if the rest of the PCs do not cooperate to make them more useful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases