Dark Sunblock 2

Mewness

First Post
I'm not even clever enough to think of my own thread title!

Proposal: ban Muls. Or alternatively, add to the setting in such a way that they seem to make more sense.

I have no mechanical reason for not wanting Muls around, but they seem very Dark Sun-ish to me (that is, they really do come across as a race deliberately bred by slave-masters than one that arises naturally). I wouldn't mind seeing them around if they've been explicitly put into the setting somewhere first, but it would seem very bizarre to me if they just started showing up randomly.

I suspect that the judges will not be in favor of banning them outright, so this might turn into a brainstorming exercise for writing them in.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Muls don't seem like they would be particularly hard to fit into the setting. You've already got the Valley of Bone which combines the savagery and (in parts at least) climate of Dark Sun along with the necessary heavy dwarven presence.

At one end, the valley fades into a scotching (per the wiki) desert. The dwarves that inhabit this brutal land are considered utterly ruthless even by dwarven standards. Blocked from the more hospitable portions by other kingdoms, these wild dwarves rein over nothing but blasted wastelands, forced to eke out an existence by any means necessary, up to and including slavery. However, as human slaves do not survive the harsh climate long, and other dwarves are too stubborn to serve well, they have turned to the shunned practice of creating Muls, enslaving their own bastard half-breed children. Occasionally an unusual Mul will have enough presence of mind and willpower to escape and flee into the Valley of Bone, seeking freedom and a life beyond.

So basically your standard Muls with a slight twist of the dwarves being the ones holding the reins instead of humans.

rb780nm

First Post
I'm voting no (and not just because my PC is Thri-kreen). There is no reason why Half dwarves might not exist in a world that has half elves and half orcs. They don't need to be common - there could be just two or three in the whole world, they might just all be in the tavern at the same time.

From a game point of view, they are not overpowered in any way, so i can't come up with a reason to ban them.

renau1g

First Post
NOto the ban.
YES to the incorporating backstory.
YES to allowing hair

This. Also I vote YES to WotC getting off their butts and getting the races in the CB so I can play around with them.... oh.... what do you mean I don't have any say in that? I'm a frakkin' judge aren't I? :rant: Fine, I'm going to bed then...

Mewness

First Post
I too vote for WotC getting off their butts, etc...

I prefer hafrogman's idea to the idea that dwarves and humans just randomly interbreed but we haven't noticed so far.

Otakkun

Explorer
As long as we never get any half-halflings, I'm ok with it.

Otherwise we might have some pedo-problems when explaining how did such a thing happen. :p

Remove ads