Cheap Homemade Gelatinous Cube

Damian

First Post
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right area to showcase this but here goes.

Twice this year, I've had need of a Gelatinous Cube mini to eat adventurers. I looked online at the WoTC minis and nearly passed out from the price displayed on my screen. I've looked at other Cubes online that people made out of resin and molds etc, and I wasn't ready for that kind of time commitment for a mini that I won't use much and don't plan on displaying.

So, while cleaning a portion of my man cave tonight, I happened upon a bag of old unused hot glue sticks and a small hot glue gun. Inspiration struck and the next thing I knew, I was making a Cube.

This was about halfway through. I used a square shot glass to make the base and then continued to slowly add layers to the walls.

"Curses to you and your infernal hot glue!"
fyOny.jpg

This was after I had completed the whole thing. It's 2x2 square and can fit a mini inside it.

guTeY.jpg

Total time - 1.5 to 2 hours.

Next time, I plan to make the sides the same way I made the top. I had created a square border on the table, and then flooded it with hot glue. It came out nice and smooth, and kind of goopy looking like it should be. This would be a much faster way of making the cube and you could just glue all of the sides together when completed.

Once this one was done, I tried to use a torch to smooth the sides, but it was near impossible. When the sides got hot enough to run under their own weight, it was like water and had no structural integrity.

The final product here has the same hardness of the D&D minis and should last for quite some time.

I know it's not the prettiest or most fashionable, but maybe someone else can benefit from knowing that it's pretty easy to make, and seeing that the results aren't all that bad.

Dausuul

Legend
That's freaking awesome.

Personally, were I to use a gelatinous cube, I'd just make a big Jell-O square, put it on a piece of cardboard so as not to make a mess of the battlemat, and hand out spoons to the players. Your reward for defeating the cube is that you get to eat the mini. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dude, we usually just use dice boxes...or my actual cube mini (neener-neener!), but that's extremely creative!

And you can make other sizes as well!

dclunie

First Post
Great idea! Here is an alternate method you can try hot glue doesn't stick to parchment paper (the kind you get in a grocery store) so you could just squirt out a mess of glue on a sheet sized piece of parchment wait for it to cool then cut out 5 square sides use some more hot glue to glue the "cube" together now the fun part to make the edges all "goopy" or where ever you want the effect use the heat of a lighter to melt those areas (just be sure to keep the flame away so that you're not burning the glue black) or better yet if you have a heat gun you can use tinfoil to make a specialized nozzle for more control or just melt the entire cube to a "jello" looking state :D

-david
d4d6d8d10d12d20 My Game Blog

Lacey

First Post
Dude, you rock!

Hey, my nameis Lacey.

Dude...this is so awesome. I dug out my old glue gun and did the same this morning. You seriously rock my socks.

Damian

First Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Like I said earlier, this was just one of those cases of "Why didn't I think of this sooner?"

Now, if only I could summon that kind of brain power at will......

frankthedm

First Post
Nice!
Once this one was done, I tried to use a torch to smooth the sides, but it was near impossible. When the sides got hot enough to run under their own weight, it was like water and had no structural integrity.
I had some luck with using a cigarrette lighter to smooth the sides of my hot glue & wire cthonian.

img59.imageshack.us/img59/6448/wormyv.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases