Proposal: Replace expertise related bonus with a feat bonus

Otakkun

Explorer
I see no problem in giving the bonus at 1/11/21. It does give characters a neat little advantage at lower levels, but hey, it's still better than nothing.

We could make a "b" proposal with the new levels.

Otakkun

Explorer
Well, it's not like the current houserule is awful. I just wanted to give the wierd builds a little help and give everyone the choice to pick the feat when they wanted, that's all.

Maybe next time ;)

Dekana

Explorer
After getting Heroes of the Fallen Lands, I feel compelled to agree that our current rule needs to change. Some of the new expertise feats include significant effects above the usual +1 attack. Bludgeon Expertise, Crossbow Expertise, Heavy Blade Expertise, and all of the implement expertise feats, all have features that would be useful to certain builds at level 1, from increasing push distance to eliminating cover penalties. Delaying such builds until level 5 is beyond the original purpose of the house rule.

I'd still rather eliminate our house rule entirely, but at the very least we should get rid of the "no expertise before level 5" rule.

garyh

First Post
I like the new Expertise feats and would not like to see them replaced with a flavorless +1/+2/+3 bonus.

I also think the new Expertise feats have neat features that many would want at level 1.

I'd rather see our current rule kept (for the sake of consistency) or just drop the rule entirely and let people pay for Expertise feats whenever they want to (or don't, it's their PC).

Luinnar

First Post
This needs a bump, as I just realized how good the new equipment expertise feats are. ;)

I believe it only got two votes so far, correct? (1 for 1 against).

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I like the new expertise feats. Should we ever reach a point where every class has been covered by the new expertise feats, I'd consider dropping our house rule entirely. But for now I'd rather give an extra benefit to most people than take something away from some.

edit: Argh, wait, now I'm not sure which one is best. Please hold.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Ok, I've come to a decision. Many, but not all, of the new expertise feats will still be worth a feat even if you get Versatile Expertise for free. Your hit bonus scales faster, and you get a pretty nice extra benefit. Also, if this passes it means people can't accidentally create illegal characters at level 1. So provided that this also removes the current ban on expertise feats, then Yes. If you think that not drawing OAs with your staff is worth a feat, you can pick it up. If you think making your execution axe pseudo-brutal isn't worth a feat, then no one's making you take it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases