Dragonlance Collector's Guide

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
They're all now in a featured article on the front page! I'll also keep that "index of Echohawk's collectors guides" updated if you do more, and add it to the article index.
Yay! That's very cool. Thanks for the coverage :).

I am definitely planning to do more of the guides. In case you hadn't already noticed, I have some, um... obsessive compulsive tendencies, and having an incomplete set of guides will bother me a lot :D.

Almost as much as having an incomplete D&D collection bother me :hmm:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Thanks so much for the nod to the Nexus, Echohawk. Nice job!

The Nexus rocks! It is my #1 go-to site for anything Dragonlance related.

I really think you should have all these guides on a site somewhere. It could be a major RPG hub. Kudos to EN World on having them listed as featured articles.

I think I'll make a plan to give the Guides a permanent home once I've finished them all. But that'll take a while still (he says, looking at his preliminary notes for Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms nervously).

If you would like, I'd be more than happy to host your Dragonlance guide on the Nexus. PM me if you want to talk more about that.

I'd be flattered to have the Dragonlance guide hosted on the Nexus. It might get some additions and edits made while I work on the other guides though; I tend to stumble across missing items from settings I've already completed while I work on new ones. Maybe the current version could go up on the Nexus for now, and then once I've finished all of the guides, it could be updated to match whatever the final version looks like?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
just a recommendation here, it would be very helpful for people if you also listed the contents on each product. like the box sets, say what is in it so that when people go and buy it from e-bay or some other place they can make sure that they are getting the complete product. that would be very helpful to a lot of people i think.
That damp popping noise you just heard? That was the sound of my head exploding :eek:

I might eventually come back and add that level of detail to the Guides, but no promises. In the meantime though, I can highly recommend Adrian Newman's excellent TSR archive as a resource for that sort of information. His site vanished for a while recently, but is now available again at its new home here.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Yay! That's very cool. Thanks for the coverage :).

I am definitely planning to do more of the guides. In case you hadn't already noticed, I have some, um... obsessive compulsive tendencies, and having an incomplete set of guides will bother me a lot :D.

Almost as much as having an incomplete D&D collection bother me :hmm:

Yes, now I can gleefully update my wishlist (the month and year of release is especially handy since that's how I organize my own references).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This one's a bit iffy, but should Tales of Ravenloft also be featured under the Ravenloft cross-over novels section? It has a Lord Soth short story titled "The Rigor of the Game."

Similarly, Lord Soth also appears in the Ravenloft adventure When Black Roses Bloom.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
This one's a bit iffy, but should Tales of Ravenloft also be featured under the Ravenloft cross-over novels section? It has a Lord Soth short story titled "The Rigor of the Game."

Similarly, Lord Soth also appears in the Ravenloft adventure When Black Roses Bloom.

I agonized over the Ravenloft cross-over material quite a bit when compiling this one, and eventually decided to include the fiction, but not the Sithicus-related game material. (And I admit that was a fairly arbitrary line to draw.) On that basis I've added Tales of Ravenloft to the list -- thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about that Lord Soth short story.

AllisterH

First Post
Is Dragonlance the one setting with more non game material than actual game material?

Hell, even if you factor out the novels, the non-game stuff equals at least any edition worth of games it seems like...

Weird..never really understood how popular DL was as a setting...doesn't work as a game but people love to have pieces of it...

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Weird..never really understood how popular DL was as a setting...doesn't work as a game but people love to have pieces of it...

Given the enormous timeline advances, to talk about DL as a setting can be complex, but the period right after the first series of adventures/the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy seems perfect for gaming. You have a bunch of insular scared "good" communities beset by hordes of uncontrolled evil draconians and plenty of ruins lying around. What could work better?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Is Dragonlance the one setting with more non game material than actual game material?

Yes. Dragonlance's greatest success has been in novels. The novels have gone strong for 25 years. Dragonlance has had ups and downs where gaming is concerned, and times when no gaming products were being produced.

Oh, I don't know. I think Dragonlance works well as a game. Check out the gaming books that Margaret Weis Productions put out. They're really good. Granted, I'm biased. ;)

Given the enormous timeline advances, to talk about DL as a setting can be complex, but the period right after the first series of adventures/the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy seems perfect for gaming. You have a bunch of insular scared "good" communities beset by hordes of uncontrolled evil draconians and plenty of ruins lying around. What could work better?

Before Dragons of Summer Flame came out, the default era for gaming was the post-Legends era (Chronicles and Legends being the "Holy Six"). It's a great time for gaming, when the future was largely unwritten. :cool:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The different times of DL are so different they are like mini-settings on their own, so it doesn't surprise me that some people only collect stuff from a certain period of DL time. The setting works because it has options for a lot of different styles of fantasy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases