Ninja of Five Ninja Houses, in Kaidan

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
OK, ninja are always a contraversial subject, everybody has their own version, and I need one for Kaidan.

In Kaidan there are 5 Ninja Houses scattered across the islands of Kaidan, each have their own 'clan chiefs' who have contact with the other ninja houses to maintain some unity, though are always in competion.

Each house specializes in a specific tactical style: stealth, seduction, combat, wilderness, and arcane influences. Thus the house specialized in wilderness have ranger (matagi) among the family, in addition to rogue (shinobi) and monk (budoka). Each house has a preferred weapon group, and unique talents.

Ninja is a ten level prestige class with a five level progression of sudden strike (or sneak attack - haven't decided), a five level progression of ki powers with converted and new capabilities, 5 bonus house feats, poison and alchemical training, perhaps even specialized 'bombs'. No Death Attack, nor Death Attack progression (leave that to Assassin). Monk slow fall bonuses continue (see below).

A monk of 4 levels is a prerequisite to obtain the ki pool class feature, however the other class features, increased slow fall movement rate to gain Spider Walk/Cloud Walk feats and effectively, evasion, imp. unarmed combat, good class skills - all appropriate to a Ninja prestige class.

A level dip of one or more levels in: fighter (bushi), sorcerer (jugondo), ranger (matagi), or rogue (shinobi) is required.

Prerequisites: Ki Pool, ranks in Stealth: 8 and Disguise 5. (Disguise is not a Monk class skill.)

Ki powers will include effects as 1 round invisibility, ethereal jaunt, water walking, shadow jump, Wis bonus to attacks, damage, saves, checks that stack with other modifiers, perhaps a Twin ability to create temporary double, with you and double at half HD, etc for duration. Death to double causes staggered condition, but otherwise returned to normal HD. Perhaps Twin is a capstone power.

Each house include elders, ninja, rogue (shinobi), fighter (bushi), ranger (matagi), sorcerer (jugondo), monk (budoka), alchemist (daoist?), who work together as a team, while many ninja missions are solo, but they work in support.

Each house specializes in a Perform skill: (dancing), (painting), (story telling), often used as part of their disguise when doing infiltrations.

Ninja Houses are of the Commoner caste.

A PC party could consist entirely of Ninja, shinobi, bushi, matagi, jugondo, all serving the same house and same missions.

Thoughts?

GP

Kaiyanwang

First Post
Two suggestions:

- Sneak Attack. Please. Sudden strike is too weak.

- Take a look in the APG alchemist for some idea for bombs.

I love the double ninja thing. Make it powerful and capstone would be great.

Think about some immediate action substitution power (you know, you think you just hit the ninja, but he's far away.. things like that).

Also: I love how you paid attention to noncombat skills because they are great for RPG and for covers.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Two suggestions:

- Sneak Attack. Please. Sudden strike is too weak.

- Take a look in the APG alchemist for some idea for bombs.

I love the double ninja thing. Make it powerful and capstone would be great.

Sneak Attack it is, then.

I was thinking of looking towards the alchemist for bombs, perhaps less damaging, but more variety of effects and to alchemist as well for poison manufacturing. Both fit the 'gadget' aspect of ninja.

Think about some immediate action substitution power (you know, you think you just hit the ninja, but he's far away.. things like that).

Also: I love how you paid attention to noncombat skills because they are great for RPG and for covers.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'substitution power'. I have an idea, but enlighten me on your explanation of that.

Perhaps the other two houses could use Profession (carpenter) or something as their cover, instead of a Perform skill.

I want to divorce the black PJs concept, as its origins is in old Kabuki stage-hand garb used to imply ninja - they wore the black suits, not ninja, they just represented ninja in the plays. So the PJs have become ninja trope, when they truly don't belong.

Ninja should be disguised as some local or traveler that fit the location for a mission. Its easier to be 'caught' in farmer's garb and say "You've lost the path, or are in search for your dog, or had to 'pee'." than to be caught wearing a black suit and be identified as a ninja.

Ninja call themselves 'the Hidden' and for the most part wish to remain so.

You cannot join a ninja house, you have to be born within one. Even as a family member, you can't leave the house and pursue your own career idea, as you will be hunted down and killed by your own family. Being born in a ninja house is cool, but is also a curse, as serving it is your task for life. Secrecy is paramount.

GP

Last edited:

Kaiyanwang

First Post
Imagine this scene: a warrior strikes the ninja, sure to just have delivered a killing blow.

Then sees that the "corpse" is another object - the ninja, as an immediate action, changed himself with another object under the eyes of the samurai, unnoticed, and then hide himself.

An immediate action, sor of a hide in plain sight, plus this substitution thing.

If you find it silly, I apologize, maybe you could just change it with a sort of fusion of the Rogue's Defensive Roll and the Ranger's Hide in Plain Sight ;)

And, again, thank you for how you manage their stealth. "I wear black so I go unnoticed" is over my threshold of credibility.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Imagine this scene: a warrior strikes the ninja, sure to just have delivered a killing blow.

Then sees that the "corpse" is another object - the ninja, as an immediate action, changed himself with another object under the eyes of the samurai, unnoticed, and then hide himself.

An immediate action, sor of a hide in plain sight, plus this substitution thing.

If you find it silly, I apologize, maybe you could just change it with a sort of fusion of the Rogue's Defensive Roll and the Ranger's Hide in Plain Sight ;)

And, again, thank you for how you manage their stealth. "I wear black so I go unnoticed" is over my threshold of credibility.

Interesting - I like the idea of both the synergy between a Defensive Roll and Hide in Plain Sight, then adding an implied momentary projected image. Sounds like a powerful 8th level+ power. Something to think about.

Glad you like my ideas.

GP

Set

First Post
Prerequisites: Ki Pool, ranks in Stealth: 8 and Disguise 5. (Disguise is not a Monk class skill.)

Note that the Monk 4 / Ranger 1 (or Mnk 4 / Ftr 1, Mnk 4 / Sor 1 or Mnk 4 / Rog 1) could have 5 ranks of Stealth and 5 ranks of Disguise, as the Pathfinder rules for cross-class skills are different.

Unlike 3.x, 8 ranks of Stealth will require this PrC to only be available on taking one's 9th character level. Was that the intention?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Note that the Monk 4 / Ranger 1 (or Mnk 4 / Ftr 1, Mnk 4 / Sor 1 or Mnk 4 / Rog 1) could have 5 ranks of Stealth and 5 ranks of Disguise, as the Pathfinder rules for cross-class skills are different.

Unlike 3.x, 8 ranks of Stealth will require this PrC to only be available on taking one's 9th character level. Was that the intention?

I could be mistaken in the way I understand the rules, but for skills, stealth is a class skill of monk, which grants a +3 as a class skill. So if you place 5 skill points in stealth at 5th level, wouldn't that be 8 ranks in stealth? This is where I'm coming from and my reason for this prerequisite. Disguise is not a class skill of monk, that's why it has only 5 ranks requirement.

GP

Set

First Post
I could be mistaken in the way I understand the rules, but for skills, stealth is a class skill of monk, which grants a +3 as a class skill. So if you place 5 skill points in stealth at 5th level, wouldn't that be 8 ranks in stealth?

The class skill bonus is an extra +3 to the skill, not an extra 3 ranks of the skill, so the 5th level character who spent five skill points on Stealth would be considered to have 5 'ranks' in Stealth, despite having a +8 modifier (before counting in Dex bonus, Size bonus, racial bonuses, Skill Focus, etc.).

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The class skill bonus is an extra +3 to the skill, not an extra 3 ranks of the skill, so the 5th level character who spent five skill points on Stealth would be considered to have 5 'ranks' in Stealth, despite having a +8 modifier (before counting in Dex bonus, Size bonus, racial bonuses, Skill Focus, etc.).

Ah, then its Stealth ranks 5 for the prerequisite for Ninja prestige class.

GP

Remove ads