Lankhmar Collector's Guide

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I don't remember, but if you dig back through Gary's "From the Sorcerer's Scroll" columns in 1979 and 1980, you should be able to guesstimate a release date.
Thanks for that tip. According to Dragon #35, Deities & Demigods was released at Gencon 1980, which pegs it to an August 1980 release date.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Back to Lankhmar: which collections would I need to have a complete book of these stories? I've capitalized on recent publications of Robert E Howard in several volumes (one for Kull, Solomon Kane, and Conan; others for his various short stories without a particular focus; still need Bran Mac Morn). I'd really like to have basically the same sort of thing but for Lankhmar.

I'm seeing collections, but I'd like to focus on one or two volumes to get as many as I can. For preference, in the order they were written by Leiber, rather than another editor's post-mortem decision of some sort of chronology. Not that they were or weren't written in an order (Conan tales weren't), but it can be fun to see an Author's style develop as they write.

A Moorcock collection would also be great.

I would suggest, btw, a Conan collector's guide. There are quite a few comics, of course, and various non-howard authors (of varying quality, as far as I can tell; no one's captured him as well as howard, though Busiek is doing as good a job as can be done of staying true to the original spirit of the stories).

I don't know if it's of interest to you, just suggesting for a future project.

Thanks for this btw. And good luck with the Greyhawk stuff. I'd really like a good understanding of it, in terms of understanding D&D itself. Not my favourite setting, more of a respect for it as a part of the shared history, but some really neat stuff has been done with it.

Big topic, though. No envy for you! :D

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Back to Lankhmar: which collections would I need to have a complete book of these stories?

As far as I can tell, your best bet then would be to look for The First Book of Lankhmar and The Second Book of Lankhmar, which were published in 2001 as part of the Fantasy Masterworks line. I don't think those present the stories in the order they were written, but then I don't think any of the available collections present them in that order :erm:.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases