GLEE #27: The Rocky Horror Glee Show

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Let's do the time warp again! Glee is doing songs from The Rocky Horror Show for Halloween. Finn is Brad, Rachel is Janet, Kurt is Riff Raff, and most controversally, judging from the reaction on the messageboards, Mercedes is Frank-N-Furter. Several cast members from the movie will also appear.

You probably already have the soundtrack, but here's the playlist:

Science Fiction/Double Feature - Santana

Dammit Janet - Finn and Rachel

Hot Patootie (listed on the soundtrack as Whatever Happened to Saturday Night) - John Stamos

Sweet Transvestite - Mercedes

Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me - Emma (this was her audition song)

(There's a Light) Over At the Frankenstein Place - Rachel, Finn, and Kurt

Time Warp - New Directions

Coming up - they're doing a Christmas album.

Fast Learner

First Post
"Transexual" becomes "sensational" and a girl in Frankenfurter's role? Extremely disappointing. The high school sensitivities argument might be reasonably valid in the real world but Glee flaunts reality all the time. The year is two-thousand and ten. C'mon folks, get over your hang ups about sexuality.

On the plus side:

Santana's opening lips! (really? seemed like Rachel's voice, bu great)

Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf!

Emma Pillsbury/Jayma Mays's Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me was fantastic! (you can't say "bed wetting"?)

Sue's "this play has incredible timing problems"!

Fun episode overall, but still frustrated by the first part.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
We now have to wait another two weeks for the next episode. Why? They didn't even have a game on last Tuesday, and all the other networks had new shows! It's especially stupid because sweeps start next week. And not doing a new show on Election Day is a missed opportunity (Rachel runs for school president ... think aout it).

But at least Glee did its Halloween show in the right month. If you saw last night's episode, you noticed that Fox's Sunday night lineup is doing all Halloween episodes on November 7! It's bad enough that the Simpsons Halloween episodes haven't been on time in years, but an entire night of Halloween shows in November? What's next, are they going to wait until February to do Christmas shows? They could have easily done them this Sunday, but they squandered it on reruns.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Granted, I am not the target audience for Glee but my 12-year old daughter watches the show and I was waiting for Caprica to come on. However, a RHPS homage shown on TV lacks the one crucial element that makes the original show tolerable - audience participation. If one has to sit on the sofa and watch RHPS, it really isn't...well... watchable.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The year is two-thousand and ten. C'mon folks, get over your hang ups about sexuality.

Have you somehow missed that Lima, Ohio (as representative of lots of middle America) has a problem with people simply being gay? Have you missed... pretty much all of Kurt up to this point?

The episode had a few good points, but overall, I'd call it... strained. For some of these very tightly themed episodes, they've often had to stretch thin to make the songs relevant to the story and characters, up to and including having characters act out of character to wedge the songs in.

Fast Learner

First Post
I've noticed that every episode has significantly different attitudes about LGBTQ issues, and about sexuality in general.

But I'm not talking about Lima, OH. Not singing "transexual Translyvania" is a Fox thing.

Pbartender

First Post
"Transexual" becomes "sensational" and a girl in Frankenfurter's role? Extremely disappointing. The high school sensitivities argument might be reasonably valid in the real world but Glee flaunts reality all the time. The year is two-thousand and ten. C'mon folks, get over your hang ups about sexuality.

Have you somehow missed that Lima, Ohio (as representative of lots of middle America) has a problem with people simply being gay? Have you missed... pretty much all of Kurt up to this point?

You also have to understand that this particular episode is probably also a tongue-in-cheek response to a certain subset of the fan base that has been complaining recently of how the show has been getting "sexed-up".

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You also have to understand that this particular episode is probably also a tongue-in-cheek response to a certain subset of the fan base that has been complaining recently of how the show has been getting "sexed-up".

The complaints I know about are too recent to have impacted choices during production of this episode. If there are older complaints, I can see some of the choices, then.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
As someone who has been to the RHPS well over 300 times, the only part of the episode I liked was the appearance of Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf. I loved the "sneak preview" episode they did before the series premiere. My wife and I both agreed that by the series premiere they ruined the show. The RHGS confirmed that the show is still just as terrible as when we last left it behind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases