D&D 4E 4E Tomb of Horrors Retail Edition vs. 4E Tomb of Horrors DM Rewards Edition

ourchair

First Post
Which one is better? More challenging and vicious? More fun? Describe to me in single words, only the good things about each module. ("Let me tell you about that module! *BANG*")

I'm currently debating with myself on which one I'm going to run as a one shot game for a cheap night of laughs for a friend's birthday (it was her idea). Basically a night of "YAY! Let's all get killed!"

Reaper Steve

Explorer
If you are after a one-shot, the the RPGA reward is your only choice. The 4E book is 4 linked adventures, each of which would take several sessions.

on yeah... SHAZAM!

ourchair

First Post
If you are after a one-shot, the the RPGA reward is your only choice. The 4E book is 4 linked adventures, each of which would take several sessions.

on yeah... SHAZAM!
Yeah I've already flipped through the 4E book, but I'm perfectly fine with running the first chapter.

I'm more concerned with the salient aspects of design and the differences between how they are written, as I don't really expect to run either in their entirety. Simply just run the thing until we all drop from exhaustion, I TPK them or we get distracted entirely by drinking and eating.

blalien

First Post
The RPGA module is much more brutal than the hardcover. I'm not sure even that can be completed in a single session, unless the party dies quickly.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Your probably looking for the RPGA one. Though it actually has quite a bit in it (I plan on about 3 sessions). The first part of the book (I plan on 2 sessions) is also fun, though its more necrotic zanniness in the feywild and not the ToH proper.

As I think about it....There is also the shadow tomb in the book. Youll need higher level charecters (about 14 or 12-13 if you want it to be deadlier) this is tomby, a little shorter (especially if you dump or cut down the moil stuff) and should also work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases