PoPP: Souls For Smuggler's Shiv [01]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
After a week of rest and recreation, re-affirmations of faith and equipping yourselves, you make your way back to the Pinnace at the appointed time. Venture-Captain Pelligrew paces anxiously as you file in and find your seats. The normally gruff man seems somewhat on edge as he bustles about, offering you tea or other beverage and seeing you settled. Once everyone’s comfortable, the big man clears his throat and begins.

“Well, lads, I think . . . that is . . . you’re ready for your first serious assignment. You’ve acquitted yourselves well in that business with the Black Echelon . . . in fact, that by itself might be enough to assure you a place in the Chronicles . . . thereby proving that you can be trusted with an even more weighty matter.

“Some of you, those particularly diligent in your studies, may have heard of a former Pathfinder named Eando Kline. Pathfinder Kline gained a bit of infamy a few years back when he discovered an ancient city of the Serpentfolk in Avistan’s Darklands. He became quite strident in his predictions and warnings about the rise of a new Serpentfolk empire, and the long and short of it is that he managed to step on more than a few toes. When he couldn’t get the Decemvirate to heed his warnings, he quit the Society and headed off on his own.”

Pelligrew pauses for a moment and a slight look of embarrassment flits across his features before he adjusts his stance and goes into what you all remember from your Academy classes as his ‘lecture mode.’

“Well, some rumors have begun to surface that give a little more credence to Kline’s cautionary stance. You may or may not remember from your classes that in the time before the Starfall our world was ruled by two empires. The domination of the Serpentfolk lasted for millennia, and was eventually ended when the Azlanti waged – and won – a war against them that lasted for hundreds of years. The final battle of that war supposedly took place on Garund somewhere deep in what is now known as the Mwangi Expanse. Legend says that the Serpentfolk were crushed when an Azlanti champion slew the Serpent God Ydersius, beheading him in single combat. The Azlanti were rumored to have founded a city over the site of that battle; this city, Saventh-Yi, was to serve as a bulwark against any future uprising of the Serpentfolk should they manage to recover from their defeat.

“A Pathfinder agent in Eleder has gotten word to us that Kline’s been poking around down there, and there are rumors of the discovery of clues to the location of the ruins of Saventh-Yi. If these rumors are true (which I doubt), the exploration of these ruins could lead to the acquisition of priceless knowledge and artifacts about one of the most dimly remembered times in Golarion’s history.

“After speaking with the Decemvirate and with your instructors at the academy, I’ve been granted permission to task you with the investigation of these rumors. Your exemplary performance in stopping the Black Echelon proved your mettle and tenacity. You’re to put these qualities to work in Mwangi. Investigate the rumors to their conclusion, including tracking down the ruins and exploring them to their fullest.

“No doubt you’ve got some questions. I’ve made your travel arrangements, and will give you the details once I’ve satisfied your curiosity as best I can.”

At this point, Pelligrew heaves a sigh as he sinks his great bulk into the remaining chair at your table and waits for your questions.

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
"Do you currently have any other agents in the area? Also do you have any idea of the types of foes we may encounter there? What exactly was the Azlanti champion...creature or human?"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The Venture-Captain looks approvingly at Lerissa. "The details of the conflict have been lost in the mists of time, but the Azlanti champion was almost certainly Azlanti . . . human, that is to say.

"As to having agents in the area, that would depend on where in the expanse your quest takes you. In any case, that brings me to the next item I wished to discuss with you. By tradition almost as strong as law, we are bound to render aid to our fellow Pathfinders, whether we agree wholeheartedly with their individual methods and ideologies. However, there have been some disturbing rumors recently of a 'Shadow Lodge' of Pathfinders . . . dissidents even to our own cause. Sargava and some other regions of the Expanse are one of the places this 'problem' has been rumored to exist. If you meet any Pathfinders there, you'll need to make your own determination of their allegiance before deciding whether or not to trust them.

"You will almost certainly need to gather allies at some point in your quest. Exploration in the Mwangi Expanse is dangerous, and your best hope will be to either hire, or hire on with, an existing expeditionary force. There are many competing factions down there, any of which could provide you with the means to accomplish your goals. Once you're in Eleder, you'll have autonomous discretion regarding which of these factions you enlist for aid . . . there are Pathfinders there, I'm certain, but there are also the Sargavan government, the Aspis Consortium, and the Shackles Pirates to consider. Any of these could render the aid you require if you play your cards right, and there may be others as well."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I'm sorry Venture-Captian, you said Pathfinder Kline quit the Society and went his own way. Do you think he had anything to do with the forming of this 'Shadow Lodge'?" Leaf asks setting his empty tea cup down. "I ask only because if former Pathfinder Kline is exploring the ruins as you believe, would we have a common goal? Or perhaps he wants to restore this Serpent Empire to it's former power to prove a point?"

The big holy warrior shrugs at his own comments before Pelligrew can answer, "I guess the only people we can really trust is each other. I do wish Mustapha were coming along."

_

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Hmmm. I suppose it's possible," Pelligrew says pensively. "I'd say not likely, but you should keep your wits about you with him for certain sure.

"I also wish Mustapha could join you in this venture, as his skills could prove quite useful. Venture-Captain Shaine had another mission which called for his specialized knowledge of Osirion, however, and pulled rank on me. You will need a full crew for this mission, though, so you'll be joined on the ship by another newly commissioned field agent named Auron. He's a spirit-warrior of some sort, a Shoanti."

Rhun

First Post
Abraxis has been quiet, as if lost in thought. He speaks up though, when the subject of dangers comes up. "You say that the Mwangi is dangerous...what sorts of dangers will we be facing? Is there information on the Expanse available for study before we leave?"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Abraxis has been quiet, as if lost in thought. He speaks up though, when the subject of dangers comes up. "You say that the Mwangi is dangerous...what sorts of dangers will we be facing? Is there information on the Expanse available for study before we leave?"

"I have a few notes about Mwangi, Sargava and Eleder here somewhere . . . I'll hunt them down for you and give you what I have. I'm afraid the information I have is fairly basic but it should give you an idea about what you're in for."

[sblock=OOC]Links to OP Information:
Map: The Inner Sea
(Absalom is the island center-East on the map. You'll be traveling by ship to the large inlet/cove due south of the massive permanent hurricane (The Eye of Abendigo) on the SouthWest corner.)
Map: The Mwangi Expanse
(A zoomed view of your destination. Your destination is Eleder, the city on the southern coast of Desperation Bay).
The Mwangi Expanse
Sargava
Eleder[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

"Hmmm. I suppose it's possible," Pelligrew says pensively. "I'd say not likely, but you should keep your wits about you with him for certain sure.

"I also wish Mustapha could join you in this venture, as his skills could prove quite useful. Venture-Captain Shaine had another mission which called for his specialized knowledge of Osirion, however, and pulled rank on me. You will need a full crew for this mission, though, so you'll be joined on the ship by another newly commissioned field agent named Auron. He's a spirit-warrior of some sort, a Shoanti."

Lerissa looks up at the mention of a new member to their group. Looking to Pelligrew, "Seriously? You are sending us on a voyage with an unproven pathfinder?" She makes no attempt to hide her displeasure and finishes her drink and motions for the barkeep to bring her another.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Auron is unproven to us, it's true, but he received high marks from his instructors and is no more green than you lot were just a short week ago!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases