Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
Ok, where are we now on these?

I think we're back to the original Absorb Corpse:
Absorb Corpse: If a lost soul kills a humanoid or monstrous humanoid it merges the body with its own flesh, for every victim it absorbs in this fashion the lost soul gains 1 HD, an additional claw attack, and its fast healing increases by 1 point. The victim cannot be returned to life with a raise dead or resurrection spell without first destroying the Lost Soul it has become part of, although it can be brought back to life with a wish or true resurrection (this removes the HD, attack and fast healing advancement the absorbed victim gave the lost soul).

Furthermore, two or more lost souls can merge together into a single lost soul, the Hit Dice, number of attacks and fast healing of the resulting monster equals the sum of the individual lost souls'.
That looks pretty good to me. I can see a few commas that could be turned into full stops to simplify the syntax but I think it about covers it.

Cleon

Legend
But we're back to the fact that it doesn't explain the size change. :(

That's a simple matter.

Absorb Corpse: If a lost soul kills a humanoid or monstrous humanoid it merges the body with its own flesh, for every victim it absorbs in this fashion the lost soul gains 1 HD, an additional claw attack, and its fast healing increases by 1 point. The victim cannot be returned to life with a raise dead or resurrection spell without first destroying the Lost Soul it has become part of, although it can be brought back to life with a wish or true resurrection (this removes the HD, attack and fast healing advancement the absorbed victim gave the lost soul).

Furthermore, two or more lost souls can merge together into a single lost soul, the Hit Dice, number of attacks and fast healing of the resulting monster equals the sum of the individual lost souls'. A lost soul receives all the normal improvements for advancing its hit dice (increased skills, feats, size etc) when it gains hit dice by absorbing corpses or merging with another lost soul.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So have we set fast healing = HD/2 always? And attacks = HD? Thta work, sure.

To explain the size, we might just add a line: "When lost souls merge, their combined bodies exude undead flesh formed from nightmare essence, increasing their weight and size accordingly."

Cleon

Legend
So have we set fast healing = HD/2 always? And attacks = HD? Thta work, sure.

The writeup's currently at HD = attacks = fast healing. I would rather go attacks = fast healing = 1/2 HD, or possible 2 + 1/2 HD.

To explain the size, we might just add a line: "When lost souls merge, their combined bodies exude undead flesh formed from nightmare essence, increasing their weight and size accordingly."

Oh, I thought you were just talking about the size category increase, not the weight issue. I was thinking of putting the bit explaining their weight is greater than the sum of the individual "Wanderers" in the flavour text, not the Absorb Corpse description.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm confused. The Medium and Large versions have # attacks = fast healing = HD/2 already in homebrews.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'm confused. The Medium and Large versions have # attacks = fast healing = HD/2 already in homebrews.

We just haven't adjusted the attacks and healing from the original version...

Revising...

Absorb Corpse: If a lost soul kills a humanoid or monstrous humanoid it merges the body with its own flesh, for every victim it absorbs in this fashion the lost soul gains 1 HD, for every 2 HD it advances it gains an additional claw attack and its fast healing increases by 1 point. A lost soul receives all the normal improvements for advancing its hit dice (increased skills, feats, size etc) when it gains hit dice by absorbing corpses or merging with another lost soul.

Absorbed victims cannot be returned to life with a raise dead or resurrection spell without first destroying the Lost Soul it has become part of, although it can be brought back to life with a wish or true resurrection (this removes the HD, attack and fast healing advancement the absorbed victim gave the lost soul).

Two or more lost souls can absorb each other, merge together into a single lost soul. The Hit Dice of the resulting monster equals the sum of the individual lost souls' HD.

Remove ads