Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't believe so. The stone has DR 8 and the wooden has DR 5. So how about DR 5/-?

The revised fire resistance is good, too.

Any other mechanical things to do here?

Cleon

Legend
I don't believe so. The stone has DR 8 and the wooden has DR 5. So how about DR 5/-?

Five seems a bit high. Wicker isn't as tough as wood!

I was thinking more 3/-.

The revised fire resistance is good, too.

I just corrected a typo in the Wicker Juggernaut Working Draft - it should have "A wicker juggernaut's fire resistance" not "A wicker juggernaut fire resistance".

Any other mechanical things to do here?

I think we just need to decide on the Challenge Rating and Construction.

freyar

DR 3/- is fine, and so is the fixed typo.

We should add +2d6 fire to the slam damage from the Burning Body SA.

CR 5 is probably ok. I guess the real question is if Burning Body and Spell Transmission are worth a whole CR. Maybe, but I think they're mitigated by slightly reduced defenses. I'd suggest sticking to CR 5.

Construction costs same as the wooden one?

Cleon

Legend
DR 3/- is fine, and so is the fixed typo.

We should add +2d6 fire to the slam damage from the Burning Body SA.

CR 5 is probably ok. I guess the real question is if Burning Body and Spell Transmission are worth a whole CR. Maybe, but I think they're mitigated by slightly reduced defenses. I'd suggest sticking to CR 5.

That's all agreeable.

Updating the Wicker Juggernaut Working Draft.

Spell Transmission is only valuable if the Wicker Juggernaut is piloted by a spellcaster. We could apply an arbitrary +1 CR adjustment if the pilot is a spellcaster.

That reminds me, I did wonder about using the Associated Class Levels rule in the Juggernaut Template. A cleric can be quite effective as a Wood or Stone Juggernaut pilot, but a Wizard or Bard would be pretty useless, so maybe classes that rely on spellcasting are nonassociated classes for the non-Wicker juggernauts?

Although come to think of it, that doesn't work so well either - there will never be a "power switchover" point as per the SRD:

Nonassociated Class Levels
Adding a nonassociated class level to a monster increases its CR by ½ per level until one of its nonassociated class levels equals its original Hit Dice. At that point, each additional level of the same class or a similar one is considered associated and increases the monster’s CR by 1.​

What if we changed the Guardian Juggernaut template to:

Challenge Rating: If the base creature relies on supernatural or spell abilities that it is unable to use while piloting the guardian juggernaut, the challenge rating equals the sum of the base construct's challenge rating plus half the base creature's challenge rating. If the base creature relies on fighting ability or is able to use most of its magical combat abilities while piloting the guardian juggernaut (i.e. a spellcaster piloting a wicker juggernaut), the challenge rating equals the sum of the base creature's challenge rating plus the base construct's challenge rating. The standard base constructs' challenge ratings are CR 7 for stone, CR 5 for wicker, CR 6 for winged, and CR 5 for wooden.

Actually, that reminds me. We should make clear that an enhanced juggernaut's +1 CR for being "enhanced" shouldn't increase its CR as a guardian juggernaut, since the enhancements are from the guardian juggernaut template.

i.e., for Enhanced Stone Juggernauts we'd change:

Challenge Rating: 8

to:

Challenge Rating: 8 (7 when piloted as a guardian juggernaut)

Construction costs same as the wooden one?

Yes, although the nature and weight of the materials, spell requirements and Craft skills will obviously be different.

I'm thinking we should increase the CL requirement to, say, 9th and add, say, fire shield and imbue with spell ability to the requirements?

To figure that out we need to know how much the juggernaut weighs.

I'm thinking "A typical wicker juggernaut stands 30 feet tall and weighs about 4,000 pounds."

That scales down to 32 pounds for a 6 foot tall wicker juggernaut, which seems about right - wickerwork is mostly air, after all.

It could be even lighter depending on how hollow it is, but I prefer
4,000 pounds since it's the lowest figure on the standard weight range of a Huge creature.

So how about the following for the Construction:

CONSTRUCTION
A wicker juggernaut is crafted from 5,000 pounds of wicker with a materials cost of 500 gp.

Assembling the body requires a DC 13 Craft (wickerwork) or DC 13 Craft (carpentry) check.

CL 9th; Craft Construct, animate objects, fire shield, imbue with spell ability, spiritual weapon, caster must be at least 9th level; Price 8,000 gp; Cost 4,250 gp + 300 XP.

freyar

OK, those CR changes to the enhanced juggernauts and guardian juggernaut template sound fine.

I'm happy with that for the construction. Did you want to add any other flavor besides the size stats?

Cleon

Legend
OK, those CR changes to the enhanced juggernauts and guardian juggernaut template sound fine.

Updating the Guardian Juggernaut template.

Updating the Wooden, Stone & Wicker Juggernaut Working Drafts.

I'm happy with that for the construction. Did you want to add any other flavor besides the size stats?

Yes, I thought I'd expand the construction description and add a few bits more explanation. Also, I decided "statue" doesn't work in the description so would change it.

How's this:

An enormous effigy woven from reeds and twigs.

Wicker juggernauts are simple constructs that are generally used to create guardian juggernauts (see the guardian juggernaut template). The rarest basic model of juggernaut, they are weak and fragile in comparison to other juggernaut models let alone a true golem. Wicker juggernauts are the only variety normally piloted by spellcasters, since their spell transmission ability allows their pilot to cast spells from the juggernaut's perspective.

A typical wicker juggernaut stands 30 feet tall and weighs about 4,000 pounds.

* * * ENHANCED VERSION

Advancement: Huge (4-8 HD), Gargantuan (9-13 HD) or Colossal (14-18 HD)

CONSTRUCTION
A wicker juggernaut is crafted from 5,000 pounds of wicker soaked in rare and costly oils with a materials cost of 500 gp.

Constructing the body requires a DC 13 Craft (wickerwork) or DC 13 Craft (carpentry) check.

CL 9th; Craft Construct, animate objects, fire shield, imbue with spell ability, spiritual weapon, caster must be at least 9th level; Price 8,000 gp; Cost 4,250 gp + 300 XP.

CONSTRUCTION
An enhanced wicker guardian juggernautis crafted from 5,000 pounds of wicker soaked in rare and costly oils with a materials cost of 1,000 gp. An enhanced wicker juggernaut with more than 3 Hit Dice can be created, but each additional Hit Die adds 600 gp to the market price. If this increases the size of the creature the price increases by 3,000 gp for a Gargantuan juggernaut and by an additional 5,000 gp for a Colossal one. The higher price includes the cost of the extra materials required to build a larger juggernaut, the total material cost is 2,000 gp for a Gargantuan wicker juggernaut and 4,000 gp for a Colossal one.

Carving and assembling the body requires a DC 15 Craft (carpentry) or DC 15 Craft (woodcarving) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, animate objects, fire shield, imbue with spell ability, righteous might, spiritual weapon, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 15,000 gp; Cost 8,000 gp + 560 XP.

Gargantuan 9 HD Juggernaut: Price 21,600 gp; Cost 11,800 gp + 784 XP.
Colossal 18 HD Juggernaut: Price 32,000 gp; Cost 18,000 gp + 1,120 XP.

freyar

That all looks good to me! And I think that will finish off the wicker juggernauts. Just the winged ones left?

Cleon

Legend
Juggernaut, Winged
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+40 (62 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 50 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 14 (–2 size, +6 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+21
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d4+10)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d4+10) and bite +6 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 5/—
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will –4
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills:
Feats: Snatch (B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

An enormous statue in the shape of a winged humanoid with clawed hands and feet. It is cunningly fashioned from leather and wood with metal reinforcements at the stronger joints.

Winged juggernauts are a new variant of the wooden juggernaut that are almost always used to create guardian juggernauts (see the guardian juggernaut template). They are relatively expensive and complicated to create, and the few communities that know the secret of their manufacture are reluctant to share them. Winged juggernauts may be far weaker than a true golem of the same size, but their ability to fly offers tactical options unavailable to most constructs.

A typical winged juggernaut stands 30 feet tall and weighs about 10,000 pounds.

COMBAT
These mindless constructs are incapable of developing tactics of their own, but fight according to whatever instructions their masters give them. They are often ordered to make dive attacks with their claws.

CONSTRUCTION
A winged juggernaut is crafted from 10,000 pounds of fine wood, 2,000 pounds of leather, and 500 pounds of steel or bronze with a total materials cost of 1,000 gp.

Crafting and assembling the juggernaut requires a DC 14 Craft (carpentry) or a DC 14 Craft (leatherwork) for the wings and body plus a DC 14 Craft (armorsmithing) check for the metal reinforcements and joints.

CL 9th; Craft Construct, animate objects, fly, spiritual weapon, caster must be at least 9th level; Price 13,000 gp; Cost 7,000 gp + 480 XP.

Enhanced Winged Juggernauts
Some winged juggernauts are built with more powerful combat abilities and the capacity to wield spiritual equipment like guardian juggernauts.

Apply the following changes to the basic winged juggernaut.

Special Attacks: Stomp, sweep
Special Qualities: Spiritual equipment
Advancement: Huge (5-10? HD), Gargantuan (11-15? HD) or Colossal (16-20? HD)
Challenge Rating: 7 (6 when piloted as a guardian juggernaut)

Enhanced winged juggernauts can be built with more HD and larger sizes than standard winged juggernauts. See the Construction section for details.

COMBAT
An enhanced juggernaut normally has weapons and armor in its spiritual equipment slots and uses these and its special attacks in combat, fighting in whatever manner it is ordered to.

Spiritual Equipment (Su): See the Guardian Juggernaut template's Special Qualities for a description of this ability.

Stomp (Ex): An enhanced winged juggernaut can stomp an opponent two or more size categories smaller than itself. This is a special full-round action during which the juggernaut moves up to twice its ground speed and attempts to move into its opponent's space. If the victim fails a DC 22 Reflex save, the opponent takes 4d8+15 bludgeoning damage, following which the juggernaut may either pin or kick the opponent. If the victim succeeds at the Reflex save, the victim takes half damage, the juggernaut's movement ends next to the opponent's space, and the opponent may make an attack of opportunity against the juggernaut. The save DC is Strength-based.

If the juggernaut pins its opponent, the victim automatically takes stomp damage during the next round unless the juggernaut moves off them. If the juggernaut chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents continue to take stomp damage each round if they don’t escape.

If the juggernaut kicks the opponent, the victim travels 1d6 × 10 feet, and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled plus stomp damage from the kick.

Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows an enhanced winged juggernaut to sweep its arms* from side to side as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of the juggernaut's reach, extending from an intersection on the edge of the juggernaut's space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are two or more size categories smaller than the juggernaut. A sweep automatically deals twice the juggernaut's base slam damage (or claw damage, if the juggernaut has no slam attacks) plus 1-1/2 times the juggernaut’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (the save DC is Strength-based).

*An enhanced winged juggernaut with a non-standard anatomy can use other limbs, such as wings or a tail, to make a sweep attack.

CONSTRUCTION
An enhanced winged juggernaut is crafted from the same materials as the standard version. The materials must be of exceptional quality and cost 2,000 gp. An enhanced winged juggernaut with more than 4 Hit Dice can be created, but each additional Hit Die adds 1,000 gp to the market price. If this increases the size of the creature the price increases by 4,000 gp for a Gargantuan juggernaut and by an additional 7,000 gp for a Colossal one. The higher price includes the cost of the extra materials required to build a larger juggernaut, the total material cost is 4,000 gp for a Gargantuan winged juggernaut and 8,000 gp for a Colossal one.

Crafting and assembling the juggernaut requires a DC 16 Craft (carpentry) or a DC 16 Craft (leatherwork) for the wings and body plus a DC 16 Craft (armorsmithing) check for the metal reinforcements and joints.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, animate objects, fly, righteous might, spiritual weapon, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 25,000 gp; Cost 13,500 gp + 920 XP.

Gargantuan 11 HD Juggernaut: Price 36,000 gp; Cost 20,000 gp + 1,280 XP.
Colossal 20 HD Juggernaut: Price 52,000 gp; Cost 30,000 gp + 1,760 XP.

Last edited:

Remove ads