The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I lioked the 2nd ed players options spell point system., but what Renalg does not realize is that wotc hasbor stole the idea from piazo for the hero points.

as for vancian magic system, the system was not broken and needed no fixing. they only mucked up the gygaxin handywork that wprked perfectly since the birth of d and d. get rid of vnacin magic and it is no longer d and d.

pathfinder fighters just rock!

losing a character to a lucky crit or the prefered: killing the BBEG with a lucky crit is what makes for legendary tales in the frpg game being played. It is what gives the pc's a reputation, one that the dm can use to get them in trouble with! A tool if you will.

Rhun

First Post
as for vancian magic system, the system was not broken and needed no fixing. they only mucked up the gygaxin handywork that wprked perfectly since the birth of d and d. get rid of vnacin magic and it is no longer d and d.

I disagree. D&D isn't so much about the rules, as it is about the feel of the game. IMO.

Walking Dad

First Post
Pfftt, we all know that getting rid of the Vanacian magic system was the best thing ever, ...
What do you think about this:
I Want My Magic Back! - the Vancian Mage

You know, back in the AD&D days, I actually went through and developed a magic point system, sort of like psionics were handled. I always thought it was strange that psionics used one system, and magic another. I never could figure out that logic.
Old Geezer gave an in-depth look how they came up with their early design decisions:
They made up :):):):) :)

I lioked the 2nd ed players options spell point system., but what Renalg does not realize is that wotc hasbor stole the idea from piazo for the hero points.
You know that Green Ronin uses Hero Points since M&M 1st edition?
And Action Points were in UA.

Dragonlance using the Card-SAGA system was not D&D? Most D&D novels are not D&D? They gave the old casting system less than a lip service.

pathfinder fighters just rock!
Only on toast ;)

losing a character to a lucky crit or the prefered: killing the BBEG with a lucky crit is what makes for legendary tales in the frpg game being played. It is what gives the pc's a reputation, one that the dm can use to get them in trouble with! A tool if you will.
Str 16 orc with a great axe does a max of 45 HP damage.
A fighter with a con +2 has an average HP of 42 at level 5.

"Hear the tale of Sir Scott who was on the way to slay the evil dragon to bring back the lost princess...
He died his first day in the woods after getting hit once by some nameless orc with an axe..."

No, not the kind of legendary tale I like...

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
WD said:
"Hear the tale of Sir Scott who was on the way to slay the evil dragon to bring back the lost princess...
He died his first day in the woods after getting hit once by some nameless orc with an axe..."

I liked it :p

HM

Scott DeWar

I disagree. D&D isn't so much about the rules, as it is about the feel of the game. IMO.

Well, changing the magic system alone was enough to remove it from being called d and d: E.G.G. started with Vancian and that is what makes for the game. Gygax. his mind. His imagination. Others may tamper with it, but in doing so, you remove the feel of the gygaxian d and d and it is no longer d and d. It becomes a pale shadow of the original vision.

W.D. I object too much to the vary existence to 4.x for me to even open that thread. Sorry but no, I have not read it.

And Rhun, I respectfully disagree. It is all about the rules.

Scott DeWar

Then the tale of the vengeful paladin brother who led the crusade on behalf of his liege the duke to vanquish the tribe of orcs could not be told if you didn't have the first part of the epic tale.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
< Kevin Siembieda > I just have to interject here... it's all about Palladium. < /Kevin Siembieda > *ducks*

30+ minute rounds due to every character having 4+ attacks at first level ftw!

Walking Dad

First Post
'Vancian' magic was first used in the works of Jack Vance. And they are not very D&D like...

Then the tale of the vengeful paladin brother who led the crusade on behalf of his liege the duke to vanquish the tribe of orcs could not be told if you didn't have the first part of the epic tale.
Yes, you can, as you write down your character's background.

I prefer this over sitting a session around, doing nothing after my character died and making my revenge character.

This could also happen in 4e, but character creation is quicker here:
No dice rolling, 'standard adventurer's pack' is listed as equipment, and easier high level character building as you choose most of you magic items by the item level and not a widely varying gp cost.

Pathfinder has it's strengths, but more random character deaths and longer building times are not part of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases