The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

renau1g

First Post
I rarely buy cheap beer anyway, though I doubt I can get that particular brew here. I'll keep my eye out for it, though.

Our cheap beer is probably close in price to your high-end beer with our wonderful government taxing the heck out of it and also being the only one to sell it...

Rhun

First Post
Our cheap beer is probably close in price to your high-end beer with our wonderful government taxing the heck out of it and also being the only one to sell it...

I guess I should have said that I don't buy much in the way of "macro-brewed" beer. Most the stuff I buy are micro-brews, the majority of it local. For a city not known for its liberal liquor laws, we actually have several incredible local breweries.

renau1g

First Post
I wish I could get some of the micro-brews out of Quebec, they're way better than the stuff we see around our way. My wife has family in Montreal and during the summer....Beer Festival, over 80k people... too bad the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario) has very high listing fees for their stores, won't allow Quebec (or British) companies ship beer into Ontario without going through their stores, and won't even carry it unless it's got a very high turnover ratio. I spoke at length to one of their store managers and he was also annoyed that most of the excellent quality beer wasn't carried because of their policies. Good thing we don't have that pesky free market here to get in the way of the monopoly.

About us - Mondial de la bière

Velmont

First Post
Micro-brew beer... we have some dépanneur (small store found at every corner with basic needs, which means: chips, beer and cigarettes) that specialize in beer. You can easily find over an hundread locals micro-brew beer. After tasting many of them, I just can't drink Budweiser, Miller or Labbatt. I can hardly drink Molson, the macro-brew I start to drink with.

If you want to know more about great beers, you can always ask [MENTION=834]Mal Malenkirk[/MENTION].

Velmont

First Post
In LEW, not sure, but he has been pretty active in L4W, but is now on break of DMing I think. He is also my usual master in table top, and my mentor in taste of beer.

Rhun

First Post
too bad the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario) has very high listing fees for their stores, won't allow Quebec (or British) companies ship beer into Ontario without going through their stores, and won't even carry it unless it's got a very high turnover ratio. I spoke at length to one of their store managers and he was also annoyed that most of the excellent quality beer wasn't carried because of their policies. Good thing we don't have that pesky free market here to get in the way of the monopoly.[/url]

Honestly, this sounds a lot like Utah.

Micro-brew beer... we have some dépanneur (small store found at every corner with basic needs, which means: chips, beer and cigarettes) that specialize in beer. You can easily find over an hundread locals micro-brew beer. After tasting many of them, I just can't drink Budweiser, Miller or Labbatt. I can hardly drink Molson, the macro-brew I start to drink with.

I'm right there with you. I don't drink any of the stuff anymore either. I can find plenty of microbrews in our Liquor Stores, you just don't really get them at the grocery/convenience stores around here. At least, not any that are more than 4% ABV. Gotta go to the liquor store for that!

renau1g

First Post
Yeah Mal was the one that pointed me to that site actually, JoeNotCharles also has a taste for the good stuff (and apparently lives in la belle province).

Speaking of Quebec, tonight's a big night. Go Habs, Go Hawks!

Remove ads