The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

renau1g

First Post
Actually, I wonder which country has the LEAST amount of official holidays? (My somewhat lackluster initial search would seem to indicate Saudi Arabia.)

Well, according to this report from 2009, I'm getting screwed here in Canuckistan :(

"All employees are entitled to a statutory holiday allowance, which is the term given to the amount of paid leave that companies must, by law, offer their staff.

Employees in Finland, Brazil and France are entitled to receive as many as 30 days’ statutory holiday a year, with those in Lithuania, Russia and the UK being entitled to 28 days. Poland (26) follows closely behind, with employees in Greece, Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Norway entitled to 25 days’ statutory holiday.

By comparison, Asia-Pacific countries fare poorly with Australian, New Zealand and Japanese employees receiving the highest levels of statutory holidays (20) followed by Taiwan (15), Hong Kong and Singapore (14), India (12) and China (10).

Employees in Canada are amongst those with the lowest entitlement with only 10 days and while there is no statutory minimum in the US, employees typically receive 15 days a year.

In addition to statutory holidays, public holidays can markedly increase the amount of time employees have off work. Japan and India top the global list with 16 days’ public holiday a year, closely followed by Cyprus, Slovakia and South Korea with 15. Malta and Spain both have 14 while Portugal, Austria, Lithuania, Slovenia and Taiwan all have 13 days’ public holiday. The UK, Australia and the Netherlands have the lowest number of public holidays (8) followed by Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Canada and Romania (9)"

Employee statutory and public holiday entitlements

Rhun

First Post
Well, according to this report from 2009, I'm getting screwed here in Canuckistan :(

You think?

List of Statutory Minimum Employment Leave by Country

United States: None.

:D

Luckily, I work for a company where I get 25, so that is quite a bit above the average.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I decided to install windows 8 on my old pc... I mistakenly thought that when I put in the new hard drive like a year ago I partitioned the HD... so I lost all the files and programs I had installed except for the few files I had in My Documents. Its no biggie since I have been using my lap top to do everything since I got it.

I have to say... after spending a hour or so confused and frustrated at metro*.. I think I actually now get how to use it and I think I'm starting to like it.

* The difference between the metro start screen and the desktop is that metro seems to be only for programs apps and widgets and the desktop can hold everything else.

A side note.. I windows 8 recognized my wireless adapter for more then three seconds since I want to see if it is possible to "pin" websites to the start screen (IE Metro makes it look like you can). If it's possible I so will try to useit to pin game treads onto the screen using the metro version of firefox. :D

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
XP is good and stable. Vista is horrible. Windows 7 is good and stable too. Windows 8, I'll look at it later. I always prefer to give some time for new version to get stabilize before I switch to it.

Rhun

First Post
Yeah, Vista sucked. XP was solid, and I'm still running that on one of my PCs. My others use Windows 7, and I've been happy with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases