The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
No, I play game systems by people who do not publicaly break the Wil Wheaton rule by insulting half of their potential player base based on their political views.

See I don't care if you disagree witj my political view. I don't care if you insult the politician I'm voting for or think his/her views are wrong.

However if you insult me because my views differ from your views ( even if you are blanket statementing a demographic), don't expect me to support your product, not feel insulted, or not tune you out.

Fyi, I call this the Siembieda rule since his comments towards his fans on several forums turned me off to Palladium (even though I liked some of the settings).

-Sent via a cybernetic device.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Gotcha, I hope.

FWIW, K. Siembieda will always be to me first an artist of Judges Guild products before the author of Palladium RPG. Palladium kinda sucks, IMO, anyhoo.

Leif

Adventurer
At the risk of starting an editions war, some actually claim a love of 4th and next.
Agreed. Yet these two choices are not mutually exclusive. For instance, I confess to a love for 1E AD&D, 3.5E, Pathfinder, and 4E. I barely have any experience with Next, which is by choice, to prevent me spending any money on yet another edition. But what little I know is far from offensive, in and of itself -- my offense is reserved for the Powers That Be at Wizards, who gave us another new game so quickly, not the game itself, which, to my knowledge, has never done anything to me.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Gotcha, I hope.

FWIW, K. Siembieda will always be to me first an artist of Judges Guild products before the author of Palladium RPG. Palladium kinda sucks, IMO, anyhoo.
I entered gaming via TMNT and other strangeness then crossed into Superheroes Unlimited and spread out from there so I unfortunately can't separate him from Palladium. The most annoying memory i had of that system was one fight in a solo campaign I gmed where the player's character, a were gator, wasn't able to hit the badguy, the badguy wasn't able to damage the pc and the npcs were fighting a battle of attrition. I ended up fudging a roll so the fight could end via the pc biting the badguy's head off.

That fight convinced me something was wrong with the system and lead me to pick up Fuzion and begin house ruling the hell out of it.

I want to get into Pathfinder, but I'm afraid that to do so I would need to buy a shelf full of books like I did with 3.x. Since I only play pbp I'm not sure it would be worth it. As such, I'm glad that I did not grt into 4e since that editions life span seemed like it was was pitifully short.

-Sent via a cybernetic device

Leif

Adventurer
Ahhh, a young lad! When I started gaming there was really only one game in town -- AD&D 1E. Oh, sure there were also Chivalry & Sorcery and Tunnels & Trolls, but they weren't too available in my town. We did play T&T some, but it was so inferior to D&D that the experiment didn't last long. Some longer experiments with Traveller, Space Opera, Top Secret, and I.C.E.'s Rolemaster basically convinced me that AD&D was about the only one worth messing with.

Pathfinder is almost just like 3.5, but not quite. You're in luck, though, because there is a system reference document online that you can access for free:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Note that instead of "srd" it's called "prd" for Pathfinder Reference Document. Enjoy. Oh, and if you do decide to buy books, you can make a good show of it just using the Pathfinder RPG volume by itself, especially if you use the PRD to supplement the book. The Pfr RPG volume is almost like a PH and DMG combined, although there is a separate Pathfinder GM's Guide, too. And, of course, the PRD has everything so far, as far as I know.

And you're correct -- I'm still miffed that I dropped vast amounts of coin and folding money on 4E only to see the entire edition scrapped two years later. :( Fool me once, shame on WotC. Fool me twice, shame on me. That's why I've largely reverted to 1E AD&D, as well as some 3.5E, some Pfr, and even maybe a smidge of 4E. I guess I have more Pathfinder games going n ow than anything else -- 4???? I've only got 2 games of 1E AD&D going, and I'm DMing both. I'd jump at the chance to play 1E AD&D, though....

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Pathfinder is almost just like 3.5, but not quite. You're in luck, though, because there is a system reference document online that you can access for free:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Note that instead of "srd" it's called "prd" for Pathfinder Reference Document. Enjoy. Oh, and if you do decide to buy books, you can make a good show of it just using the Pathfinder RPG volume by itself, especially if you use the PRD to supplement the book. The Pfr RPG volume is almost like a PH and DMG combined, although there is a separate Pathfinder GM's Guide, too. And, of course, the PRD has everything so far, as far as I know.
I use d2prd: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ which has pretty much the same as piazo + 3pp

Remove ads