The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Leif

Adventurer
Ugh, I hate to admit it, but the graphics of the D&D Next books on ENWorld's opening page is starting to look pretty good to me. Hopefully, I'll be able to resist its horrible temptation.

???
I don't think I wrote this message, because I've had the Big 3 D&D Next books for a long, long time now. Also, I would not have made that grammatical error voluntarily.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
The coma sucks, I'm a Computer Science major, so I'm learning to write code to make programs and do cool things with computers. An interesting D&D related program I wrote for fun lasst summer was a random character generator that would randomly make a 1st level character of one of the core classes, picking stats and calculating HP and telling me how much money I had to spend on gear. Unfortunately I broke the first rule of keeping data and had only one copy of it on my flash drive, which I proceeded to wash with my laundry and broke, so now I need to re-write it.

Do you have any revision software (Source Safe, TFS) that you can use to store you data?

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Jack: When I'm doing stuff that I really care about (class and a couple other projects that I do on the side) I use git bash, and then I also keep stuff on my hard drive, solid state drive, college server space and a couple flash drives, and usually it's a few versions across all of those (with git having all the versions) I never used to, and doing all that may be overkill but losing a fair amount of stuff made me rather paranoid about it, particularly around schoolwork.

Leif

Adventurer
I was going to make this post in the Original Misbegotten waif thread erroneously started by moi, but it was closed some time ago.

So, anyway, I think I really want to start a 5E D&D game of a sandbox nature, because I have virtually no ideas about what I want the game to be. So in theory, the players could set the agenda for the game, but it would really work better if there was some consensus amongst the players instead of everyone trying to pull the game in a different direction.

Why 5E? Because I think Pathfinder suffers from the same cancerous malady that did-in 3.x, it's got way too many classes way too many feats, and it's just got way too much crap. Instead of having a whole bunch of classes that are made to answer a specific niche, why can't you use more fundamental classes, and differentiate your character with ROLE-PLAY? My fighter is nothing like your fighter, he is a muskteer-type with a high dex and a rapier, while yours is a crazy viking with a warhammer and massive srength, who chews his shield. The mechanics for both fighters are the same, and both have access to the same lists of skills (and I'm considering using the optional feats rule, but the rule makes the feats pretty costly), but they are very different characters. In 3.x or Pathfinder, they would surely be different classes, but that's just silly.

So, anyway, that's where I am, mentally. If anyone reads this post and is even vaguely interested, please post here and let me know. Then we can discuss and possibly develop a concept and go from there. If I can get much interest at all, I'll start a new thread for the game.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
So, anyway, I think I really want to start a 5E D&D game of a sandbox nature

Well, I'm looking for a new game, so I'm interested. I like the sandbox setup, but in PbP I think it presents challenges to play without a clear goal.

As for characters, I completely agree that the same crunch can be used to create vastly different fluff for different characters. One could even say that everyone is the same class, and see all the diverging concepts that creates!

Leif

Adventurer
What ever happened to this game? Leif's First 5E Homebrew In-Character Thread 1A The four players in that game all still are active here.

I suppose that should be the first thing that I do -- see if there is still interest in continuing.

Well, I'm looking for a new game, so I'm interested. I like the sandbox setup, but in PbP I think it presents challenges to play without a clear goal.

As for characters, I completely agree that the same crunch can be used to create vastly different fluff for different characters. One could even say that everyone is the same class, and see all the diverging concepts that creates!

Ok, you might want to watch the thread that jmuchiello mentioned. Please don't post IC until you officially join, but we can discuss in the OOC what you wish to play and how you could be worked in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases