The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Velmont

First Post
First time offender maybe 3-5 games.

Nothing... :rant: Just a big nothing! What a lame league that is. They don't understand they ahve only one thing that allow them to get all that money, it is their players!

What are they waiting... someone get killed?

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
anyone want to hear a depressing, sports related story? (It is true, BTW)

[sblock=depressing story]
So the fennville basketball team was playing whatever game comes before districts, the star player, Wes Leonard, shot the game winning basket of an otherwise tied game with 5 seconds left for a 20-0 season, his team mates lift him up on their shoulders and then moments later he dies of a heart attack.

What's interesting is, the college near where I live is hosting the district game instead of the game being at fennville, and the game sold out after 30 minutes of tickets being on sale, 35000 seats, as opposed to 1000 at the fennville court.

link to more info[/sblock]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Nothing... :rant: Just a big nothing! What a lame league that is. They don't understand they ahve only one thing that allow them to get all that money, it is their players!

What are they waiting... someone get killed?

Depends, have anyone in hockey gotten paralyzed during a game yet? 'Cause I know that, concussions and alot of broken body parts was what changed the NFL.

anyone want to hear a depressing, sports related story? (It is true, BTW)

I heard about that. What I been finding interesting is how many students have been dying of heart attacks after sporting events during the last few years.

Rhun

First Post
I heard about that. What I been finding interesting is how many students have been dying of heart attacks after sporting events during the last few years.

The real question is are these students doing something that is causing more heart attacks, or has medical technology just gotten to the point where they are able to pinpoint the cause of death much better than they used to?

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
The kid had a pre-existing condition that hadn't shown up on his physical so there was that, also every day I run a CC meet, and the speed days we run at tracks I swear I'm gonna die but I think that's different.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Changed the NFL - a gross understatement if you ask me.

From the way the penalize players and such you always see them not tackling right or attacking the quarterback as hard as they use to. No don't get me wrong I want NO ONE injuried during a game of any kind. But I also don't want to see guys pull up as they go in after the QB and which then allows the QB to escape the pocket and throw a winning touchdown. All because they are scared to get fined.

If yo look there are more hits resulting in no injury than tackles and such that took a player out for a game or two. It is repeated strain/hits that take there toll I think (except for that hockey hit last night of course - just the lone exception but it is the one that will change things not the 20 other hits that were almost like it.)

First I heard of high school students dying of heart attacks at sporting events.

I have a theory ( and I hope that many others are looking into why this is happening).

a) To play in sporting events you know have to pay to get in. Not like it was back in my day. That leaves a lot of would be good kids no chance to earn a scholarship and divides students into rich kids poor kids even worse in school. So maybe a look at the lifestyles of those kids whose parents can afford to play against those who don't? (see below)

b) The life style of kids now a days is different. They spend more time in front of the tv (shows, movies, and games). And I bet (but don't know for sure) that they eat out a lot more than we use to. One night a week we would go someplace to eat, mom cooked all the other nights.

c) Everything in schools seems faster paced than they use to be. I learned this last year when I was over at my sisters house and my niece who was in first grade was practicing her cursive writing?!? They didn't start teaching that till 4th grade back in the day. I mean in first grade you can hardly read print and they want you to what?

Sometimes change is not for the better.

HM

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
These are all good points, but I don't think kids have to pay, they just need to get the physical done so that's the only thing, otherwise the school will usually cover costs of such trips.

Kids do spend a lot more time in front of their computers (Like me! :lol:) instead of excercising or doing something to get them in better physical shape, and this can affect their health

Also school (as I've heard) is a heck of a lot harder than it used to be, as in I will be taking precalc next year, and I have friends who are even taking regular Calculus this year, and there are a lot more AP classes as well that take a lot more energy than a regular class will and add a lot more stress, especially if grades are bad, as there also seems to be an increased pressure to get into college, because most people need it to get into a good job.

My two cents.

renau1g

First Post
I know Ontario (my province) cut Grade 13 about a year after I graduated, meaning they had to compress that year's work into the other 4 of high school (we don't have a middle school here, elemenary is 1-8 grades and high school is 9-12)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Here you have to pay to get into a high school sport. I know not why but found out when I asked when my nephew's first football game(he's in 9th grade) was last year and learned that my brother couldn't afford to get him in.

Not only to just sign up they have to cover cost for trips and equipment that the boosters don't cover.

Really sucks.

HM

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Here you have to pay to get into a high school sport. I know not why but found out when I asked when my nephew's first football game(he's in 9th grade) was last year and learned that my brother couldn't afford to get him in.

Not only to just sign up they have to cover cost for trips and equipment that the boosters don't cover.

Really sucks.

HM

I think it comes down to got getting all the funds to pay for insurance, coach pay, equipment, and transportation.

Remove ads