Greyhawk Collector's Guide

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I just happened to be perusing some of my old D&D stuff last night, and I discovered that the modules H1 - Bloodstone Pass and H2 - Bloodstzone Wars were set in Greyhawk (It is prominantly mentioned in the player's introduction). H3/H4 retconned these adventures to take place in FR. Thought it was worth a mention.
Stormonu, where in H1/H2 are you seeing the Greyhawk references? I've just had a quick look through them, and I didn't spot anything obvious in the introductions, so I might be missing the link?

jasonzavoda

First Post
Whoops -- looks like I confused #9 and #19 when checking your list of additions. My apologies for the confusion!

The article in #9 I managed to find, but it was issue #19 where I drew a blank. The only mention of Greyhawk in that issue seems to be a reference to the number of spells per level in the original Greyhawk supplement on page 24. (But no actual Greyhawk lore.)

For #212, there is a mention of WG7: Castle Greyhawk on page p24, but that appears to be a story of one group's experience with the module, and also no new Greyhawk lore.

Might those two references be what you had in mind?

Still need to dig out issue #212 but for issue #19

The Battle for Snurre's Hall
The Origins '78 D&D Tournament
Pg# 3,4,6,21

It actually covers a synopsis of the tournaments that became modules G1-3

On Pg#5 There is a full page ad for the G series modules featuring a half-page illustration from G1

How many ettins is a fire giant worth: Competitive D&D
By Bob Blake
Pg#6

Some mention of modules G1-3 and D1-3
Column 1 Paragraphs 7-9
Column 2 Paragraph 1

I don't believe I referenced the mention of the D&D Greyhawk rule supplement book.

jasonzavoda

First Post
Stormonu, where in H1/H2 are you seeing the Greyhawk references? I've just had a quick look through them, and I didn't spot anything obvious in the introductions, so I might be missing the link?

The only Greyhawk reference I can find after a quick scan of H1 is in the 32 page adventure booklet, pg#4 boxed text on the left side of the page 5th paragraph down... "The Greatest show on Oerth..."

Perhaps there is an earlier printing with more, but otherwise there appears to be absolutely no connection with the Greyhawk setting. I don't believe I own a copy of H2 anymore.

Stormonu

Legend
The only Greyhawk reference I can find after a quick scan of H1 is in the 32 page adventure booklet, pg#4 boxed text on the left side of the page 5th paragraph down... "The Greatest show on Oerth..."

Perhaps there is an earlier printing with more, but otherwise there appears to be absolutely no connection with the Greyhawk setting. I don't believe I own a copy of H2 anymore.

Yes, that is what initially alerted me to it being in Greyhawk. H4's introduction has more information in the beginning about the switch from Greyhawk to fitting it into the Realms (talking about drying up part of a glacier to set it in FR).

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan

Yes, that is what initially alerted me to it being in Greyhawk. H4's introduction has more information in the beginning about the switch from Greyhawk to fitting it into the Realms (talking about drying up part of a glacier to set it in FR).

Nice catch on the "Greatest show on Oerth" reference, but H4 doesn't seem to mention Greyhawk, it just talks about the process of retrofitting the series into the Forgotten Realms. By itself, I'm not sure the single "Oerth" reference is enough to qualify H1 as a Greyhawk collectible, I'm afraid.

jasonzavoda

First Post
Here is another reference I just came across.

Dragon #17 Boredom and the Average D&D Dungeon By Jim Ward

Pg#26 column 1 paragraph 3 continues to the next column.

A brief desccription of a level of the original Castle Greyhawk as run by Gygax and Kuntz.

grodog

Hero
Indeed!: for a fuller description of the Machine Level and its design history, see RJK's blog @ Lord of the Green Dragons: THE MACHINE LEVEL: SPECIAL WEB INTRODUCTION

TD 17 also includes "Faceless Men & Clockwork Monsters"---an account of a group of PCs who begin in GH Castle, and are banished via Cursed Scroll to the Starship Warden of Metamorphosis Alpha infamy.

Another good source for GH allusions from Dragon is Russ Taylor's index @ http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/greyhawk/dragon_index.html : it may be worth cross-checking for other omissions.

Last edited:

beasterbrook

First Post
As noted over on the Acaeum.. I'll be doing my own research and collation of the Living Grewhawk scenarios..

Living Greyhawk Scenarios (2000-2008)

I'll prob post this as I go through my own research, so when I find something not listed here I'll post.. there is quite a bit to add I'm sure.. At the moment I'l going through listing modules.. I'll then see which ones of those I'm missing .. which is a couple I'm sure..

And away we go.. (i'll just edit a post until its been added..)

KET

KET3I-01 Secrets of the Past
KET3I-02 Choices
KET3I-03 Do You Take This Man?
KET3I-04 On the Road Again
KET4I-01 Of Dragons, Demigods, and Ancient Times
KET5I-01 Best Man for the Job

Please change ...

KET1-04: Search for the Lost (Part 1)
KET1-05: Search for the Lost (Part 2)
KET1-06: Thicker than Water

to