Trailblazer spell system

devilish

Explorer
Hi
Love Trailblazer's take on deconstructing 3.5 -- but got to spell section and, while I appreciate the spell fixes, do you have in the works any
deconstruction of 3.5 spells? How to create them -- point values, etc.
Any recommendations if you're not building it?

Thanks!
-D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Hi
Love Trailblazer's take on deconstructing 3.5 -- but got to spell section and, while I appreciate the spell fixes, do you have in the works any
deconstruction of 3.5 spells? How to create them -- point values, etc.
Any recommendations if you're not building it?

Thanks!
-D

I am working on it-- though truth be told it's a work I've been "working on" for almost ten years.

Your best bet in the short term is my prior foray into the topic, "Heroes of High Favor: Elves."

It has a rigorous deconstruction of spells in the appendix.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=18939&it=1

cauldron

First Post
Hello,

Just a question about the spell system. I have sometimes difficulty to judge the category of some spells. In the case of spells which can affect one or several targets, like Magic Missiles, which category is the correct one?

Thanks,
cauldron

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Hello,

Just a question about the spell system. I have sometimes difficulty to judge the category of some spells. In the case of spells which can affect one or several targets, like Magic Missiles, which category is the correct one?

Thanks,
cauldron

You're the DM. Make a judgment call. If you feel later like you've made the wrong call, change it.

I usually consider Magic Missile as a rote spell, because it's so iconic.

I've also been tempted at times to make Bless a rote spell for much the same reason.

cauldron

First Post
Cure Spells?

Also another question, should the Cure Spells be rote or restricted?

I think they should be rote, but if the case, cannot the players cast an unlimited number of these during the periods of rest?

For now, I've considered the Cure Spells casted during an encounter as rote and forbidden the casting of these during a rest period, but it feels very artificial...

GlassJaw

Hero
Also another question, should the Cure Spells be rote or restricted?

I think they should be rote, but if the case, cannot the players cast an unlimited number of these during the periods of rest?

For now, I've considered the Cure Spells casted during an encounter as rote and forbidden the casting of these during a rest period, but it feels very artificial...

They are rote.

PCs are already getting back half their total hit points during a rest.

The basic philosophy behind the rest mechanic is that we want the PCs to be at full "power" for the next encounter. The amount of time required (10 mins, 8 hours, whatever) is irrelevant.

In the case of TB, we wanted a more cinematic, fast-paced feel, hence the 10-min rest period.

Remember though that things like ability damage, poison, disease, etc do not go away after a normal rest so it makes spells like Restoration fairly important. It's also a good way to put pressure on the PCs, especially if they have to occupy spell slots for this type of healing or don't have enough time to fully heal everyone in the party.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Yes, but what prevent them from casting an unlimited number of Cure spells during the rest to get back all the HPs?
The DM.

Seriously, they try to do something you don't like? Drop a dragon on them. I recommend a Young Adult.
"But, my party is level 3!? How are they supposed to beat that."
By running for their lives. And sacrificing the mule. Or maybe they roll 8 critical hits in a row. Either way.
And for those sticklers, you can find a Young Adult Dragon anywhere, and a Young Adult is cocky enough to take on anything, including a random adventuring party.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yes, but what prevent them from casting an unlimited number of Cure spells during the rest to get back all the HPs?

What Valhalla said.

Basically, there is nothing to stop them from healing back to full health (whether it's with cure spells or resting twice) unless you (the DM) don't want them to.

Under normal adventuring circumstance, the Trailblazer philosophy is to get the PCs back in the action quickly and at full strength.

Under abnormal circumstances (or more dangerous ones), it's up to you to force the action. As Valhalla mentioned, wandering monsters is the easiest way to do that. But clever players will find ways around that (rope trick, etc).

You can also create weather or environmental effects that would prevent resting: high winds, tremors, changes in gravity, whatever.

Another option is to create time-sensitive quests/goals. If the players have limited time to accomplish a task, they will think twice about resting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases