[ot] Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings extended edition

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Wow. Last night I went to an advance theatrical screening of the extended edition of Fellowship of the Rings. This is the special edition with 30 minutes of additional footage, the edition coming out on DVD on November 12.

Wow.

It was AWESOME. I was amazed at how the extra footage improved on perfection. The extra footage was a minute here, thirty seconds there, to a significant extension of Lothlorien and the Shire.

.. er..

[VAGUE SPOILER WARNING]

The extra footage developed the relationships between Gimli & Legolas, Aragorn & Boromir, Frodo & Sam, and Arwen & Aragorn. That last bit really changed the way I felt about Arwen/Liv Tyler. She rocks. The character is so much better now, and I'm glad Jackson chose her instead of Glorfindel as the bearer of the wounded Frodo.

Also, significantly, the additional footage showed some MAJOR plot points that were missing from the first cut (I won't go into details). But best of all was the extra characterization; the characters of the Fellowship were developed and they became people; Legolas and Gimli instead of just Iconic Blustery Dwarf and Iconic Graceful Elf, Haldir instead of Suspicious Lothlorien Guard, Boromir instead of Doomed Patriotic Man, Aragorn instead of Gloomy Ranger. The 30 minutes developed not only characters, but also places and history: Lothlorien and Gondor are much more developed.

The special edition is SO MUCH BETTER. But, remarkably, the special edition also showed just how good the first cut is. Meaning, even without the 30 minutes, the first cut ably conveyed the majesty and vital plot points of Tolkien's book, and even included a LOT of character development for Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam and background info on the Shire, Imladris, Isengard, Mordor, Moria and Middle Earth. And a bit on Lothlorien and Gondor.

Wow.

Just had to get that out and spread the word. If you liked Fellowship of the Rings, you'll *love* this special edition.

-z

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I've vowed to wait until I can buy the "Super all three films with many extras" edition is released. I'm going to rent the films, so I can see them again, but I want my collectors edition DVD to buy. Then i can sit at home and have a Star Wars/LotR marathon and annoy everyone...

How's about it? Date: Sometime in 2005?6? Place: Wherever I live at the time. Event: Movie marathon! Bring your own snacks! Who's invited: Anyone that can make it!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I love movie marathons.

My fovirte though is my frequent Bond-O-Thons. Every time a new Bond movie comes out I watch every Bond movie in a row, I used to forgo sleep, but now that would mean about 40 hours straigh of movie wathcing and i'm getting older so I guess I'll break it up so I get one bit of 8 hours. So friday(21stish) as soon as i get home form work, bond, bond, bond,bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, sleep, bond, bond, bond, NEW Bond Movie Sunday night.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I can't wait for the extended version to come out. I did not buy the standard version and am busting at the seams for Nov 12th to roll around.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Despite the fact that I have already purchased the theatrical version last August, I am still going to get the extended version. No sense wasting the $10 rebate coupon for the Collector's Gift Set that was included in the theatrical version DVD. :D

As for wanting to see a theatrical screening of the extended edition LOTR:FOTR, the seat has better be equipped with a urinal, or better yet, buy those adult diaper. Three and a half hours is too painful on my bladder system. :p

Welverin

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
I love movie marathons.

My fovirte though is my frequent Bond-O-Thons. Every time a new Bond movie comes out I watch every Bond movie in a row, I used to forgo sleep, but now that would mean about 40 hours straigh of movie wathcing and i'm getting older so I guess I'll break it up so I get one bit of 8 hours. So friday(21stish) as soon as i get home form work, bond, bond, bond,bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, bond, sleep, bond, bond, bond, NEW Bond Movie Sunday night.

Don't be a wussy! Take a couple days off work or school and start early. Then go see the new movie on friday.

Asmo

First Post
I saw it tonight.
Whatever it takes, don´t miss it.
Amazing, simply amazing.
Asmo.

Last edited:

Fyrie

Explorer
My FOTR SE is patiently waiting at the UPS office 20 miles from my house. I am quite certain that it will arrive by noon on Monday (Thank you www.deepdiscountdvd.com !).

I bought the theatrical dvd release full knowing about the the SE. I'd Gladly do it again. I can honestly say that the entertainment I got from the 1st disk was worth the cash in the face of wating till next week to see it on dvd.

Let it rock!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases