[Adventure] The Paper Chase, Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

Antithetist

First Post
The following day dawns gray and cloudy, with a light drizzle soaking into the dust and grime of Clifftop's streets. With most of the group still aching from the previous day's exertions, the prospect of the long, long walk up to the University Quarter is considerably less enticing for our heroes this time around. Thankfully, it doesn't take long to flag a skycab for those who are so inclined, and Baracus's strident anti-flying stance is now a nonissue since he is presumably still busy drowning his heebie-jeebies in the dive bars of Khyber's Gate.

One way or the other, having spent the morning taking care of any shopping or other preparations, the group - with its two new additions - assembles in the pleasant streets of the University Quarter outside Professor Farrow's office. Presently they are admitted into the badly-organised stockroom of books, manuscripts and assorted arcane junk that Farrow calls an office.

"Aha, there you are," the Professor says absently, scribbling away on note paper; after a moment he finishes what he was writing, puts the pen aside and looks up with a smile of satisfaction. "Excellent. I was scarcely looking forward to the process of hiring replacements. I trust you are all well-rested? And I see we have some new additions - fine, fine. I have a little jaunt into the country planned for you all. A chance to take some mountain air."

Welcome!

Player Characters:
Mythra (Luinnar) - Eladrin Wizard 6
kal'Tarron (rb780nm) - Deva Avenger 5
Grys (KarinsDad) - Eladrin Swordmage/Wizard 6 (?)
Orsik (MetaVoid) - Goliath Runepriest 5
Muzdum (Voda Vosa) - Dwarf Fighter 6
Alexia (TwoHeadsBarking) - Human Dhampyr Bard 6

I'll be checking over sheets in the next few days and approving where necessary. If you have levelling or shopping to do then try to finalise that ASAP please.

Not sure how much background the newcomers have - feel free to ask the Professor any questions now and fill in the blanks.

- Please include a summary of your character's stats and current status (hp, surges, powers used, temporary buffs/debuffs and so on) and a link to your character sheet in your first post, and in each post you make during combat.

- Invisible Castle is my preferred dice roller, but the built-in one is fine too.

- I will make use of sblocks. Sometimes these will contain information that requires you to beat a certain skill check DC to access it, sometimes they will be directed at specific players. Either way, please abide by the honour system and don't read sblocks that you shouldn't.

- I will generally roll initiative for everybody to keep things moving. Combat will proceed with Mal's simplified Initiative rules; players beating enemy initiative go, then the enemies, then all the players. Actions are resolved in the order they're posted. TENT effects can only benefit or harm a given combatant once - if a Leader goes first in one round and gives everybody +2 damage TENT, they only get that bonus for one round, even if the Leader happens take his turn last in the next round.

- If you make a wishlist, I'll consult it when I'm distributing loot.

- I'm hoping for a fast-ish posting rate. 1/day would be lovely. If any of you guys know you won't be able to make that routinely, tell me now so I can adjust my expectations. Otherwise, if I'm waiting on a post from somebody and they're holding up the game for more than 24 hours, they'll be NPCd. If your posting will be interrupted temporarily (for holidays or suchlike) then just tell me beforehand.

- Following my experiences from the last adventure, I'm going to be a bit more forthcoming with monster stats - not to the point of posting whole statblocks or anything, but I won't be concealing the bonuses on their attacks any more, and I'll keep a note of defenses as you reveal information about them (in a >x <y form).

Last edited:

Antithetist

First Post
OOC: Thanks again r1!

"A ways clear of the Sharn fog," Farrow says with a smile. "The mountains in question are the Blackcaps. A curious letter has been passed on to me by way of the labyrinthine channels of University administration; it was destined for Howard's defunct office and now, intolerably delayed, it has come to my attention at last. See for yourself."

He tosses a neatly folded note onto the top of the mass of papers that covers his desk.

[sblock=The Letter]Howard,

I did not wish to contact you like this, but I am left with no choice. There has been no response from the usual channel, and the situation worsens day by day. Our partners have deserted us, offering no explanation, and without their protection our position here is precarious. I feel I am taking my life in my hands just making the trip into Sharford to mail this letter. We need immediate support, or all shall be lost.

Humbly yours,

Derslin
[/sblock]
"This 'project' demands investigation, I'm sure you'll agree. The town mentioned - Sharford - lies in the Eastern foothills of the Blackcaps; that seems like a sufficient starting point."

Luinnar

First Post
Another foolish errand I see. At least I will be able to easily to lose the Bard and the Dwarf in the mountains. The reward will be...? Mythra says dryly.

[sblock=ooc]
Mythra is all done.

History check to know Sharford, or this Derslin as well.
History = 16, lol.
[/sblock]
[sblock=stats]
Mythra Stelwart
Male Eladrin Wizard 6

Medium natural humanoid (Fey)
Initiative +8; Senses Passive Insight 20, Passive Perception 20
HP 46/46hp, Bloodied 19, Surge Value 9, Surges 9/9
AC 20; Fortitude 16, Reflex 17, Will 18
Saving Throws +5 vs Charm Effects
Speed 6
Action Points:1

Powers:
At will:
Chilling Cloud
Beguiling Strands

Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Mystical Debris

Encounter:
Fey Step
Illusory Obstacles
Hypnotic Pattern

Shield
Tome of Binding
Second Wind

Daily:
Summon Dretch
Summon Magma Beast
Summon Iron Cohort

Summoning Tome
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Antithetist

First Post
"What do you know about Sharford, or this Derslin?" kal'Tarron asks.

"Very little," Farrow says bluntly. "Sharford seems to be an unremarkable logging town, and this person Derslin is not known to me."

Likewise, none of the group have heard anything of note regarding either name.

Another foolish errand I see. At least I will be able to easily to lose the Bard and the Dwarf in the mountains. The reward will be...? Mythra says dryly.

Farrow smiles indulgently. "Ah yes, it must be time for you to launch into another tirade on the theme of how a mage of your stature does not work for mere gold but demands magical artifacts and whatnot, yes?" he opens a draw of his desk. "Allow me to pre-empt you." He pulls out a pair of fine calfskin gloves, studded with jewels and intricately embroidered, and throws them carelessly onto his desk. "These came into my possession recently, and it strikes me that you may get some use from them - more use, at least, than they would be sitting in one of the University's vaults. Consider them a bonus from the last job."

"As for the payment for this next task; it involves some travel, and will thus take up more of your time than the last. I am therefore not unaware that you will require more compensation. I propose a lump sum of nine hundred gold upon your return, should you succeed in getting to the bottom of this mysterious 'project'."

OOC: That's a pair of Resplendent Gloves (heroic tier) for Mythra - he was owed a parcel for level 5.

KD, Grys will be getting his parcel shortly.

Luinnar

First Post
Dirty, need repair, but it will do. says Mythra, picking up the gloves, frowning at them and putting them in his bag. Mythra then walks over and whispers something in Alexia's ears.

[sblock=whisper]
Nine hundred gold is hardly a stately sum for the task at hand...You're a Bard, use you" legendary" skills and get us more gold![/sblock]

Mythra then walks away. And as for transportation...? he then says to Farrow.

OOC: Thanks for the gloves! :)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Alexia gives a slight grin to Mythra, and then walks forward. She smiles widely to Farrow, "Greetings, professor. My name is Alexia Madgearu. Now, it is my understanding that the last time you send this group out on a task, two of them didn't come back. I'm not unfamiliar with, or adverse to, danger, but when a job carries this level of risk, it should also carry a similar level of reward. I don't wish to ask for more than you can afford, but it does seem like you're asking a lot of us. Perhaps you will not find it unreasonable that we do the same of you." Her tone is level and pleasant, her eyes never leaving Farrow.

[sblock=ooc]Diplomacy 31. Not bad for untrained.

Also, can everyone distinguish between the color Alexia uses and the one Mythra uses? I'd be happy to change if they are too similar.[/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
The professor sits back, puffing his cigar and doing his best to maintain a poker face, but it's obvious that Alexia is swaying him. "Well, er - that is to say - hmm. To be precise, if you will allow me a moment's pedantry, only one of the group failed to return - a second merely chose to depart, after collecting his payment. But... yeeees. Not unreasonable, as you say. Allow me to be candid: coin is not something I have in ever-abundant supply, but I can recompense you in other ways. A good number of enchanted items pass through my hands, one way or the other." He gestures to the gloves that Mythra is inspecting. "In other words, there's more where those came from. I will ensure there is some manner of bonus awaiting your success. Does that sound acceptable?"

Mythra then walks away. And as for transportation...? he then says to Farrow.

"Yes, yes, I will fund that. The lightning rail will take you to Hatheril, and from there you can hire a carriage to Sharford."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases