Proposal: remove option to create a character with a spreadsheet

Tenchuu

First Post
Original Proposal to add spreadsheet option

Having two different formats that the players can pick from runs counter to the principal of imposing a format: having a uniform spreadsheet that all players use to make judging and DMing easier.

I propose we return to a single format option for character sheets, and I argue that the format should be the wiki for the following reasons:

- The vast majority of character sheets are on the wiki format
- The wiki format is easier to read
- Version History tools are better in the Wiki

Updated Proposal (11/25/2010): Require that players who opt to use the spreadsheet format be required to include the Wiki format summary on their Wiki page, along with the link to the spreadsheet for checking the math.

Justification:
- makes DM's job way, way easier by having a uniform format for all of the really vital combat information
- should make judging somewhat easier

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
I didn't even realize this was an option until a new player of mine submitted it this way. I hurts my eyes to read, and the format is not nearly as easy to read for reference (admittedly, I could just be more familiar with the wiki format).

renau1g

First Post
Personally I can't stand the spreadsheet either, despite the excellent job done with it. From a reviewer perspective I usually try to avoid reviewing those as it takes at least double, maybe more, time to review.

Dekana

Explorer
I don't much care for the spreadsheet either, but I do think it's easier for the player to fill out. I don't think I'd want it removed as an option since some people may be less wiki-code inclined.

As an alternative proposal, I'd like to note in the character creation guide that the wiki is preferred and that judges will give priority to reviewing characters made on it.

(Not a judge, but I do some amount of character checking)

Tenchuu

First Post
I'm sure it's easier for the players to enter, but at the cost of time for DM / Judge. Is it worth the trade off (especially considering the key reason of having a single format is to save time for DM / Judge)? I'd argue no.

Also, in the original proposal which allowed the spreadsheet, it looks like R1 held off on voting, but was leaning towards No based on Cov's concerns. Had he voted no, the proposal would not have passed. Since most of the judges have probably worked with the spreadsheet format by now, this will give them the chance to make a better-informed decision on their continued use.

Probably SR will not be pleased with me for proposing this, considering all the time spent on the spreadsheet format. Sorry!

Mewness

First Post
Personally I can't stand the spreadsheet either, despite the excellent job done with it. From a reviewer perspective I usually try to avoid reviewing those as it takes at least double, maybe more, time to review.
I feel bad about this but I agree entirely--I've been doing some character checking lately and I'm avoiding characters who only have a spreadsheet. I find it hard to look at the thing (and I find the visual similarity of the wiki format to the actual power writeups in the compendium very helpful when making comparisons).

Rapida

First Post
I feel bad about this but I agree entirely--I've been doing some character checking lately and I'm avoiding characters who only have a spreadsheet. I find it hard to look at the thing (and I find the visual similarity of the wiki format to the actual power writeups in the compendium very helpful when making comparisons).
I have to admit I do the same thing whenever I find time to review sheets...

Walking Dad

First Post
No judge, but I think this is a great proposal.
For what it's worth, I have less trouble with the wiki, than the spreadsheet when I make characters...
Everything that speeds up reviewing in general is great. You judges do a great job, BTW.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases