Proposal: Modify the Expertise House Rule (E.g., give bonus feat)

Antithetist

First Post
Right, those crazy artificers. Nobody plays them, especially not in an Eberron setting.

I'll freely admit to a lack of knowledge of the class, but - really? Artificers use ranged weapons and melee weapons and implements in standard builds?

Anyhow, admittedly it's just as bad for any class who wants to just use a ranged weapon and a melee weapon. I guess I just don't see a huge issue with making players sacrifice a (really pretty small) amount of power in order to gain versatility, but I'll freely admit it's very possible that there are build options I'm not considering or even aware of.

Anyhow, even if it's not my preferred option, the Feat Bonus solution sounds like a fine compromise. Doesn't seem like it's going to be possible to make everybody happy here.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Anyhow, admittedly it's just as bad for any class who wants to just use a ranged weapon and a melee weapon. I guess I just don't see a huge issue with making players sacrifice a (really pretty small) amount of power in order to gain versatility, but I'll freely admit it's very possible that there are build options I'm not considering or even aware of.

They already sacrifice quite a bit. Except for a few combinations, classes that use 2 of the 3 have to have 2 magic offensive items, just to gain their offensive magic item bonuses. And in order to have two high ability scores, the rest of the ability scores suffer. Such a class almost always has a really low NAD. You want them to sacrifice more? Just to fix the math bug for some of their powers?

Anyhow, even if it's not my preferred option, the Feat Bonus solution sounds like a fine compromise. Doesn't seem like it's going to be possible to make everybody happy here.

No doubt.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Yes, Artifiders have all three types of attacks. Most end up running circles to only focus on two (MC swordmage w/ farboinid spell blade or the crossbow implement feat).

YES to +1 feat bonus, unbanning expertise.

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
That's 3 yes's with [MENTION=9789]evilbob[/MENTION] still to vote (evolutionKB is on a leave right now).
I'm pretty sure this has already passed by this point, but anyway: I'm also pretty sure I've advocated for exact this solution at least once before, so I will also contribute a YES.

I think it solves most of the problems with in the most elegant way concocted so far. Like all compromises, it isn't 100% perfect, but I think it's better than where we were.

Also, I'd like to suggest someone change the links in the Eberron sticky here over to the new wiki. They're still pointing to a place that doesn't exist.

Btw, whoever cleaned up the new wiki: BRAVO! Looking VERY good.

renau1g

First Post
Well it's official. It passes. I believe only the almighty [MENTION=36973]stonegod[/MENTION] can change the sticky's right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases