[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: [MENTION=85539]Tenchuu[/MENTION], [MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION], [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION], [MENTION=1642]BenBrown[/MENTION], [MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION]

Sorry. I forgot that edits don't bump the post. I didn't mean to be gone so long, but I'm back. I hope you're not sore about it :blush:.

BenBrown

First Post
OOC: Much as it pains me to admit this, I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on. I lost the thread of this adventure somewhere around the time Tenchuu swapped out characters. Since then I've been happily playing from encounter to encounter, but with no real sense of continuity. However, when it comes to this, it looks like I need some, and I don't really have the time and inclination to go back over the entire thread and the previous one hoping to catch up on stuff I missed the first time around. Can anyone help me?

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: I know that feeling. That's why I started the adventure summary in all of my other games I play/run, because over time, my brain doesn't remember to well. Unfortunately, I never did one for this game, but here's what I got though, from said memory:

1. We're looking for the dwarf weaponsmith that went missing in Daunton, who if I understand correctly, is the decedent of the dwarf king who ruled the place we are now, and who is currently locked up in the dungeons (I feel bad for just leaving him there, now.).

2. Our travels brought us to this land, where two groups of Dragons are fighting. There is this one and his dead father VS the one we met coming through the portal and its mother (this one was fighting the kobolds at the portal, and at first I think we were helping the kobolds, but after it practically killed Rujah we switched sides). The one we are talking to now, he's the lightning dragon, and the one at the portal is the poison dragon.

3. Poison dragon sent us here to kill the lightning dragon, and per the above post, the lightning dragon wants us to kill the 2 poison dragons.

Tenchuu

First Post
Gensai bows his head as the Dragon rages against him, but waits until he is given the opportunity to speak again.

"I take you for a great dragon. It is true, I have selected my words carefully, but I have not spoken lies," Gensai presented. "When we teleported here, it dropped us in the middle of a battle between the Liar and your followers. But your followers attacked us (Reference). Surely you would not allow someone to attack you, you would fight them, would you not? We did the same. They made a grave mistake, and paid for it. When the battle was done, the Liar remained, and we got the information we needed about the missing dwarf. She set upon us a task, to kill you, yes. But, we are not her minions."

"We told your concierge what he needed to hear, to get your audience. We come before you, humbly, with words, not swords."

"I believe we can work out a deal, which benefits us both, but there is something you are not telling us. You say you can defeat and eat us, yourself. Then you say you are not strong enough to defeat the liar. Then, you set upon us a task to kill the liar. This sounds like you are sending us on a suicide mission, if all you have said is true."

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"I say thanks. Your story sounds truer than we others we heard do far. I feel very inclined to help you... if you could do some minor things to us in return. Not as payment, as you are much over such trivialities, but as sign of your good-will and to help us to succeed at your set task.

As Gensai already tried to address, one of the green dragons crushed us and you servants easily. Only by changing sides, being charmed by the draconic might and lies, we were able to survive.

If we want to have a chance, we need protection from her poison, as your father was protected from the dwarves lightnings. Maybe you in your wisdom know a way?
We also need to rest to gather our strength.

And if we succeeded at our task, I request your word on your father and your bloodline, that you will let us, our friend and the dwarf go... sparing us your terrible might and maybe open a portal for us, that we can leave and no longer bother you.

Two last questions:
We can keep other things we might find other than the ones you requested?
Why did your father let some dwarves flee?
And if he did not, why do you know of it now?"

Riardon waits carefully for the dragon to reply.

[sblock=OOC]

Only 2 HS left, Riardon will need more sooner than later an extended rest...

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +2 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 20 Insight: 15 Low-light Vision
AC 26 Fortitude 22 Reflex 22 Will 19
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 59 / 59 Bloodied: 29
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:14 Surges per day: 2 / 9
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lion's Roar, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Much as it pains me to admit this, I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on. I lost the thread of this adventure somewhere around the time Tenchuu swapped out characters. Can anyone help me?
OOC: In three short months it will be the two-year anniversary of this adventure. Frankly, I have trouble remembering all the details myself. I'm just glad that you've stuck with me all this time.

Tenchuu did a good job recapping things, and his suggestion of an ongoing summary is a good idea. From here on out, I will post the following spoilers at the end of every update, in case any of you feel the need to research the thread. I know from experience that it can take hours to find the important plot points.

[sblock=Story Outline]
If you want to do this quickly, just click on the links below and read ALL spoilers

• Original Party enters a bewitched cellar door that
    • Talon (Shifter Druid/Ranger)
    • Rujah (Dragonborn Warden)
    • Riardon
    • Jin (Human Swordmage)
    • Fenwick

1. Bewitched cellar where party finds a secret entrance to a thieves' den
  2. Back at The Hanged Man
    • Talon deciphers the dwarven docuements and discovers that a man named Hankel Mast Gimlord is heir to the throne of Rioc Parvel, a dwarven mine and stronghold.
    • He is overheard by a sailor dwarf named Fargo who recalls the legends of Rioc Parvel and offers you sea passage to Avenroc
    • The lightning weapons found by the group have a dwarven inscription that reads "When it's my turn, I'll show you my power."
    • Unscrewing the pommels of their weapons they discover a small blue crystal in each that appears to encapsulate a small storm.
  3. The ocean voyage
    • Fargo's ship is attacked by a flotilla of drowned ones
    • A storm portal opens and swallows the ship
    • Talon challenges a crewmember to a sparring match
    • Fargo drops the group off in the harbor of a city called Rioc Alair
  4. The Crystal Mug inn
    • The group meets Firebyrne an apprentice blacksmith to a dwarf named Hankel Mast who has been missing for some time
    • The group discovers that the bewitched cellar of their prior experience is the cellar of the Crystal Mug
    • The group is ambushed when they attempt to expose the thieves' ring
    • Mervin materializes in a barrel
    • The group reveals the thieves' den to authorities
    • Mervin discovers a dagger of lightning power
    • Riardon finds several rituals
    • Jin learns that Hankel has, in fact, been kidnapped by a man named Lars Hallmaster, whom Firebyrne had described as a "Friend". A wizard named Shear seems to be directing Lars' actions.
    • Jin opens up a cursed chest and is mortally wounded by flaming skulls
    • Jin's body is resurrected (using one of the rituals found by Riardon), but is possessed by an ancestor of Jin's named Gensai
  5. The city of Rioc Alair
    • The group meets a university professor named Amatalystan Shea Aramista who fills the group in on the history of Rioc Parvel
    • The group gears up at a black market shop in the cellar of a gear store
    • The group uses another ritual found by Riardon to generate a portal that leads to a remote, wooded location
  6. Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv
    • The group chooses to join sides with a green dragon to defeat a band of blue-dragonkin kobolds
    • The group learns of the existance of a blue dragon named Wer Vhisar who Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv blames for driving her mother aunt from their lair, and charges the group with destroying Wer Vhisar
  7. The entrance to Wer Vhisar's lair
    • The group navigates a pit trap
    • and disables a glyph of warding powered by an electric crystal
    • that guards a library containing some curious items
  8. The hall
    • The group is met by a kobold welcoming party that temporarily separates the group. Gensai and Fenwick fall into a prison cell. Rujah falls into the river below and is swept out to sea. Mervin stays behind to cover Riardon's retreat.
  9. The prison
    • The group meets Tikchik and Sheng
    • The group discovers a dwarven prisoner and a kobold prisoner
    • The group decides to look for Rujah and Mervin
  10. The hall part deaux
    • The group learns the fate of Rujah and Mervin
    • The group realizes that Iguyo De Wer Grovisv has lied to them
    • They find a hiding kobold who grants them an audience with Wer Vhisar
  11. Wer Vhisar's Lair
    • Wer Vhisar reveals to them his version of the feud story between himself and the three green dragons
    • Wer Vhisar offers the group an opportunity to seat Hankel Mast Gimlord on his rightful throne in return for three tasks
      • Transplant the diffusion of Wer Vhisar's father
      • Turn over a large gem called the Moonstone
      • Destroy Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother and aunt
[/sblock]
[sblock=Important things to remember]

• Riardon still has all the rituals and documents in his pack. See the links above for the documents, but I'll provide the ritual list here:
    • Raise Dead Used to raise Jin from the dead (got Gensai instead)
    • Knock Used to open the chest that killed Jin
    • Linked Portal Used to get to the green dragon encounter
    • Object Reading
    • Vistani Passkey
    • Precise Forgery
    • Decipher Script
    • Wizard Sight
    • Arcane Lock
  • Those of you who found lightning weapons still have them.
  • Mervin still has the dagger.
  • You can see it at his belt.
  • Quick Plot summary
    • Setting: An interior island on the continent of Avenroc
    • Old blue dragon destroys a dwarven mine and dwarven king dies
    • Dwarven heir exiles himself and dies leaving a son who is clueless as to his heritage
    • Old blue dragon is killed by two sister green dragons, who now have a daughter (that's three green dragons on the loose).
    • The old blue dragon's son wants to avenge his father's death, but doesn't want to take the risk, so he offers the job to the adventurers.
    • Hankel (the clueless dwarven heir) is being held in the prisons below the blue dragon's lair
[/sblock] That being said, I'm out of time for the evening, so I'll post Wer Vhisar's response tomorrow.

Once again. Thanks for staying with me on this. You've brought an old story of mine to life.

FYI: I wrote this adventure 20 years ago, where it had its debut among some college buddies of mine. After that it lay in a footlocker until it was resurrected when my son (now 11) began playing D&D 4E.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng makes the Jade salutation at the same time that Genasi, looking back anoyingly at the others. Sometimes the lack of proper discipline and etiquete from people outside the Jade Empire upseted Sheng.
"I found that you are not surpirsed to see your former prisioners escaped. I might ask for the purpose of our abduction?" asks Sheng, measuring his words.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"I take you for a great dragon. It is true, I have selected my words carefully, but I have not spoken lies,"
Wer Vhisar interrupts, becoming irate, "Trust me!" He rises on his hind legs, eyes crackling with electric excitement, "As one liar to another, I know a lie when I hear it! Do you not know that a dragon sees through the eyes of his trusted ones! You fought on the side of my minions, even after they attacked you, then when Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv dropped Cayosin Khazidhea from the heavens, you cowered to her side. Do not test my patience. I am chief among liars, it is a craft I recognize in all its forms!" He calms back down, growling. He leans closer to Gensai putting his gaping maw before the ronin, dripping saliva on the stone floor, "If I had no use for you, I would crush you now." The ronin continues.
OOC: reference
"I believe we can work out a deal, which benefits us both, but there is something you are not telling us. You say you can defeat and eat us, yourself. Then you say you are not strong enough to defeat the liar. Then, you set upon us a task to kill the liar. This sounds like you are sending us on a suicide mission, if all you have said is true."
Wer Vhisar chuckles, "You're a liar, but you are shrewd," continuing to chuckle, "Well, there you have it. It is a suicide mission, so your choice is clear. You can die here, or you can die there. If you die here, you die here a liar and a coward. A dishonorable death wouldn't you say? If you die there, you die knowing that you have died trying to right two grievous wrongs, and you may even share in spoils of some kind. I promise I won't tell." The sarcasm in his voice is so palpable, that Gensai is tempted to vomit, "Oh, and if you're thinking of calling me a coward, you may be right, but I have no issues with a lack of honor. I don' t believe in dying if it doesn't lead to results. If my death would grant my father rest, and bring the moonstone here, I would do it, but my death would do no such thing..." again he lowers his head to face Gensai at a disatance of barely more than a hand's span, the steam of his breath reeking of ozone, "...so I send you to yours." He cranes his head back over his body and looks at the group collectively, "So I ask again, 'What say you?'"
"I say thanks. Your story sounds truer than we others we heard do far. I feel very inclined to help you... if you could do some minor things to us in return. Not as payment, as you are much over such trivialities, but as sign of your good-will and to help us to succeed at your set task.

As Gensai already tried to address, one of the green dragons crushed us and you servants easily. Only by changing sides, being charmed by the draconic might and lies, we were able to survive.

If we want to have a chance, we need protection from her poison, as your father was protected from the dwarves lightnings. Maybe you in your wisdom know a way?
Wer Vhisar chokes out a cynical laugh, "If I knew that I wouldn't be here now would I!? I would simply rouse my followers here in a mighty army and take Rioc Parvel by force! My father and I are immune to the effects of the storm. I, myself am immune to their poison, but I cannot pass that on to others. You will have to take your chances."
"We also need to rest to gather our strength."
"I will grant you this, but only because I was already planning to do so."
"And if we succeeded at our task, I request your word on your father and your bloodline, that you will let us, our friend and the dwarf go... sparing us your terrible might and maybe open a portal for us, that we can leave and no longer bother you.
Again, Wer Vhisar laughs, betraying a hit of impatience and frustration, "I will promise no such thing! As for safe passage, you will be treated with respect if you show it. As for transportation, I will give you directions to Rioc Alair," laughing sarcastically he continues, "follow this river below until it opens into the sea. Then find the Fluss. It's to the east along the outer shore. It will flow to the ocean. Once there, you will see the lighthouse, that you will hopefully have lit by then. Follow the coast north until you see the Hallmaster lighthouse, the beacon of Rioc Alair. I will take you about three months' journey if you do it by land."
"Two last questions:
"I seriously doubt that."
"We can keep other things we might find other than the ones you requested?
"That will be between you and 'Lord'" Wer Vhisar's voice drips with sarcasm as he says the word, "Gimlord."
"Why did your father let some dwarves flee?"
"Bardir's men were overseas when my father attacked Rioc Parvel. When they returned, they did not approach the mines, or my father would have slain them. When they finally did gather the strength to show, my father was already dead."
"And if he did not, why do you know of it now?"
"Let's just say that Bardir was a guest in my care at one point. He provided me with answers to many of my questions, and for his service, I gave stupidly gave him his freedom. His son's presence here is the culmination of a great deal of research and effort," He drills into Riardon's eyes with his own, "Do not waste it!"
"I found that you are not surpirsed to see your former prisioners escaped. I might ask for the purpose of our abduction?"
"The task I've set before you all was originally planned only for you and your companion, but now that there are five of you," he smiles evilly, "I suppose you stand a better chance. No?"

Wer Vhisar, having no more patience for questions calls his concierge, who comes running into the grotto, eagerly skittering over the dead bodies that litter the cavern floor, "Fetch the dwarf!" Turning back to the group he continues, "I will take your unbridled inquisitiveness as an acceptance of my terms, so I will detail my request:

You will go first to the lighthouse at the mouth of the Fluss. My concierge will provide you a skiff on which you may travel. Once there, you are to light the beacon. Though I doubt it will help, it would be sad upon your deaths to know that it could have.

Next you will return to this island, making the journey to the mines of Rioc Parvel. Beware the forests. They team with the sisters' servants.

Once there, you will need to find a way in. There I cannot help you. I know of no secret passages, and I am sure that the sisters have posted sentries at the front gates.

My concierge will provide you with the ritual you will need in order to transplant my father's diffusion, and he will also provide you with access to the library you destroyed this morning, which you may use while you rest. You will find the dwarf there by the time you arrive. Please be more careful than you were before as you may find useful information therein. Shear no longer has need of it."

The concierge returns,"Massster. The dwarf isssss in the library asss you wissssshed." The kobold produces a scroll from its cloak, "Here isss the sssscroll you commanded me to retrieve."

"Good. Give it to the fey creature," Indicating the Riardon. Wer Vhisar turns to all of the adventurers, "You may go now. I hope, for your sake, I do not need to see you again until your tasks are complete."
GM: The scroll is blank [sblock=Arcana DC 20]The scroll radiates strong magic, and is likely a ritual with magically concealed runes on it.[sblock=Arcana DC 25]The runes are designed to appear in the presence of Wer Vhisar's father's diffusion.[/sblock][/sblock]
Riardon

"So be it, dragon!"
May you keep your promises, as few as they are, for if we return, we will as people who killed two dragons which you and your followers were cautious to attack. Now, please, may we at least speak to our wizard friend before we rest? We have to kill at least two dragons tomorrow.
"
With all the visible frustration of a parent dealing with a child who insists on having his dessert before dinner, Wer Vhisar replies, "You'll talk to your friend when I have the sisters' heads. Until then, I suggest you take advantage of your time to rest." The dragon glides to the portal in the floor with surprising grace, given his attitude and the relatively low ceiling of the cavern.

As if struck by a sudden comprehension, he hesitates before flying through the hole to the river below, hovering over the opening, "Ah yes. If you insist on looting your friend...," he cracks a sinister grin visible even from that distance in the half-light of the cavern, "You can have his dagger...and anything else you care to take from him." Whit that he disappears through the floor of the cavern, and is gone.

The concierge beckons the group to follow, and after leading them back the way they came through the antechamber and hallways, they arrive at the study, a state similar to its condition the last time they saw it. Dead bodies have not been removed, nor has any attempt been made to clean up the mess of broken furniture and scattered items.

A wiry dwarf stands at a lectern reading from a scroll. He looks at the group with an expression of indifference, and returns to his reading.
GM: I'll be putting together the mechanics of a skill challenge to help you get started on Wer Vhisar's tasks. I'll also be posting experience points and treasure for approval so you can level up before you continue.

This might take a while since it's been months since the last rewards post. For that I apologize.

Please feel free to RP interaction with the dwarf, and indicate locations and intentions for your search of the library.
[sblock=Story Outline]
If you want to do this quickly, just click on the links below and read ALL spoilers

• Original Party enters a bewitched cellar door that
    • Talon (Shifter Druid/Ranger)
    • Rujah (Dragonborn Warden)
    • Riardon
    • Jin (Human Swordmage)
    • Fenwick

1. Bewitched cellar where party finds a secret entrance to a thieves' den
  2. Back at The Hanged Man
    • Talon deciphers the dwarven docuements and discovers that a man named Hankel Mast Gimlord is heir to the throne of Rioc Parvel, a dwarven mine and stronghold.
    • He is overheard by a sailor dwarf named Fargo who recalls the legends of Rioc Parvel and offers you sea passage to Avenroc
    • The lightning weapons found by the group have a dwarven inscription that reads "When it's my turn, I'll show you my power."
    • Unscrewing the pommels of their weapons they discover a small blue crystal in each that appears to encapsulate a small storm.
  3. The ocean voyage
    • Fargo's ship is attacked by a flotilla of drowned ones
    • A storm portal opens and swallows the ship
    • Talon challenges a crewmember to a sparring match
    • Fargo drops the group off in the harbor of a city called Rioc Alair
  4. The Crystal Mug inn
    • The group meets Firebyrne an apprentice blacksmith to a dwarf named Hankel Mast who has been missing for some time
    • The group discovers that the bewitched cellar of their prior experience is the cellar of the Crystal Mug
    • The group is ambushed when they attempt to expose the thieves' ring
    • Mervin materializes in a barrel
    • The group reveals the thieves' den to authorities
    • Mervin discovers a dagger of lightning power
    • Riardon finds several rituals
    • Jin learns that Hankel has, in fact, been kidnapped by a man named Lars Hallmaster, whom Firebyrne had described as a "Friend". A wizard named Shear seems to be directing Lars' actions.
    • Jin opens up a cursed chest and is mortally wounded by flaming skulls
    • Jin's body is resurrected (using one of the rituals found by Riardon), but is possessed by an ancestor of Jin's named Gensai
  5. The city of Rioc Alair
    • The group meets a university professor named Amatalystan Shea Aramista who fills the group in on the history of Rioc Parvel
    • The group gears up at a black market shop in the cellar of a gear store
    • The group uses another ritual found by Riardon to generate a portal that leads to a remote, wooded location
  6. Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv
    • The group chooses to join sides with a green dragon to defeat a band of blue-dragonkin kobolds
    • The group learns of the existance of a blue dragon named Wer Vhisar who Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv blames for driving her mother aunt from their lair, and charges the group with destroying Wer Vhisar
  7. The entrance to Wer Vhisar's lair
    • The group navigates a pit trap
    • and disables a glyph of warding powered by an electric crystal
    • that guards a library containing some curious items
  8. The hall
    • The group is met by a kobold welcoming party that temporarily separates the group. Gensai and Fenwick fall into a prison cell. Rujah falls into the river below and is swept out to sea. Mervin stays behind to cover Riardon's retreat.
  9. The prison
    • The group meets Tikchik and Sheng
    • The group discovers a dwarven prisoner and a kobold prisoner
    • The group decides to look for Rujah and Mervin
  10. The hall part deaux
    • The group learns the fate of Rujah and Mervin
    • The group realizes that Iguyo De Wer Grovisv has lied to them
    • They find a hiding kobold who grants them an audience with Wer Vhisar
  11. Wer Vhisar's Lair
    • Wer Vhisar reveals to them his version of the feud story between himself and the three green dragons
    • Wer Vhisar offers the group an opportunity to seat Hankel Mast Gimlord on his rightful throne in return for three tasks
      • Transplant the diffusion of Wer Vhisar's father
      • Turn over a large gem called the Moonstone
      • Destroy Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother and aunt
[/sblock]
[sblock=Important things to remember]

• Rituals in Riardon's Pack:
    • Raise Dead Used to raise Jin from the dead (got Gensai instead)
    • Knock Used to open the chest that killed Jin
    • Linked Portal Used to get to the green dragon encounter
    • Object Reading
    • Vistani Passkey
    • Precise Forgery
    • Decipher Script
    • Wizard Sight
    • Arcane Lock
    • Diffusion Transplantation (illegible at the moment)
  • Those of you who found lightning weapons still have them.
  • Mervin still has the dagger (but he's still on the floor of Wer Vhisar's lair)
  • Quick Plot summary
    • Setting: An interior island on the continent of Avenroc
    • Old blue dragon destroys a dwarven mine and dwarven king dies
    • Dwarven heir exiles himself and dies leaving a son who is clueless as to his heritage
    • Old blue dragon is killed by two sister green dragons, who now have a daughter (that's three green dragons on the loose).
    • The old blue dragon's son wants to avenge his father's death, but doesn't want to take the risk, so he offers the job to the adventurers.
    • Hankel (the clueless dwarven heir) is being held in the prisons below the blue dragon's lair
    • Wer Vhisar has pressed you into his service to light the dwarven lighthouse, kill the green dragons, re-seat Hankel on the throne at Rioc Parel, and transplant Wer Vhisar's father's diffusion.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases