[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"The other let us live, so there is a chance. We have to choose our words wisely. No bland lies. And remember that dragons like if you recognize their superiority."

Riardon replies.

[sblock=OOC]

Only 2 HS left, Riardon will need more sooner than later an extended rest...

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +2 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 20 Insight: 15 Low-light Vision
AC 26 Fortitude 22 Reflex 22 Will 19
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 59 / 59 Bloodied: 29
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:14 Surges per day: 2 / 9
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lion's Roar, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I have already been abducted by this dragon, bare from my belongings and thrown into a cell. Make your own conclusions." Sheng states with dryness in his voice.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: Sorry for the silence. I haven't forgotten you. Summer has hit me hard, and I never have more than a couple minutes a day to log in. When I get a block of time large enough to introduce Wer Vhisar, I will. Definitely some time this weekend. After that, things should pick up.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: OK. Game On!
Though Gensai entreats him to awaken, the unconscious wizard does not stir. The ronin, leaning in close, gleans some hope as he discovers that his friend is still breathing slow and even breaths as if in a peaceful sleep. Beside Mervin lie the remains of another fellow who was not so fortunate.

Suddenly the large chamber goes still as if the air around them has ceased all movement, as in a calm before a great storm. At first it seems as though a silence has settled over the cavern, but then the adventurers realize that it is not silent, it is simply clearer, as though every tiny wavelet of water, every fish, every whirlpooling eddy in the stream below them can be heard, as though some background noise has lifted away, revealing auditory details previously unnoticed. The fires in the braziers sputter and pop in crisp eruptions of flame, no differently than before, but more clearly now. [sblock=Nature DC 18]The background noise was the skittering of cave-dwelling creatures such as rats, mice, bats, and insects. They have fled the cave in fear that something horrible is coming.[/sblock]The adventurers pause, taking in the new sensation, but the pause is brief.

Instantly, the stillness is shattered by a howling wind that courses through the river-tunnel below, erupting through the opening in the floor and smashing itself on the ceiling of the cave. The small band of five is almost knocked flat to the floor by the force of the pressure wave, which does not dissipate, but continues to grow for several seconds. The hairs on the back of Fenwick’s neck rise. The orc feels as though he is being targeted by a closing enemy, and looking to his companions, he realizes that they are all experiencing the same sensation, even as the wind howls.

The braziers flicker and blow out, throwing the room into relative darkness as the hurricane builds to a deafening crescendo at which time an enormous, leathery silhouette launches through the hole in the chamber floor backlit by the fires below. Like a bat out of a watery hell its ascent is dangerously rapid, spreading its wings to a width of over forty feet to halt its ascent with stunning suddenness just short of the cavern’s ceiling, at which time the wind dissipates, and the creature descends gracefully, yet threateningly to light on a boulder at the southern end of the cavern.

Bones and rock crunch beneath the beast’s clawed talons as it moves. Though cloaked in darkness, its black eyes glow visibly with magical energy, floating, disembodied, seeming to maintain contact with all five adventurers at once. It’s breaths are deep and heavy, but strong, vibrant, and deadly.

Without warning, the creature’s teeth crackle with electricity arcing in splitting forks to instantly ignite all of the cavern’s braziers simultaneously. The new light, now, reveals the creature for who he is: a blue dragon, some ten feet at the shoulders. His scales are deep sea-blue, refracting the firelight like sapphire-infused prisms, into multicolored displays that dapple the cavern walls. His face is bearded with scaly growths, and adorned with a line of two sharp, boney horns between his nostrils, which smoke slightly from the recent electrical display.

“Hello….” The dragon's voice is low, and resonating as he cracks a hungry smile revealing razor-sharp, serrated teeth. He cranes his neck down to a more humanoid level.

“Now,” he continues, “give me three good reasons why I should not eat you.”[sblock=Nature DC 30, or History DC 30, or Dungeoneering DC 30]”Give me three good reasons why I should not eat you” is a common greeting given by dragons to unsummoned guests. Having passed this skill check you will be relieved to know that this dragon does not want to eat you…

...yet. He is curious as to why you are here. If you satisfy his curiosity, he will let you live. If you threaten him, he will display his power (a display you might not survive :devil:).[/sblock][sblock=Map]
WalrynsLair3.png
[/sblock]
GM: Though this encounter presents itself as material for a skill challenge, I will forgo the formality of such, and continue with a simple parlay until it seems more fitting to formalize the encounter. Feel free to use whatever skills you deem relevant, and I will allow the strength of your rolls (based on #sigma from mean) to guide the discussion. Skill checks, however, are not necessary, unless you wish to direct (rather than influence) the discussion.

For example:

• If you want to ask a question, ask away. No check required.
  • If you want to find out whether or not the dragon is lying, that would require a skill check

Tenchuu

First Post
"That Noise... it's machinery, I'm sure," Gensai said to the others before the gust of wind threatened to blow him over. He stood firm over Mervin, showing a brave face, but full of discontent. He tried to talk himself out of fear. I have died before. What is one more time, in the service of my master. Every man wishes but to die with honor. How many get a chance to do so twice?

"Great Wer Vhisar, thank you for this parley," Gensai said, keeping his sword sheathed and offer a clasped hand bow in the Jade way. "There is much we could speak on, but three things seem of the utmost important. First, my master before you who lies in slumber, we seek his safe return."

"Second, A Dwarf was kidnapped from his home in Daunton, and we wish to bring him safe passage back home. We have reason to believe the wizard Shear brought him here."

"Third, and perhaps most important to you,
Great Wer Vhisar, on our way we came upon Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv. The false goddess seeks to unseat you, and looks to kill you. She tried to enlist my masters to kill you. We, humbly, bring this knowledge to you."

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]

Skill Check at beginning of GM post: Nature: 1d20+3=4. Epic.

Skill check after dragon arrives: History: 1d20+13=31

[sblock=Action Block]
Move: (+1 AC/Ref)
Standard:

[/sblock][sblock=Gensai Stat block]Ashikaga Gensai - Male Human Swordmage 7
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: +13, Passive Insight: +18

Defenses:

AC: 24, Fort: 19, Reflex: 21, Will: 18 -- Speed: 6

Vitality:
HP: 61/68, THP: 0/5 Bloodied: 34, Surge Value: 17, Surges left: 4/11
Action Points: 0/1, Second Wind: not used

Languages:
Allarian (Common), Primordial

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +13 vs AC - Fey Strike Katana 1d8+6
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +13 vs AC - Fey Strike Katana 1d8+6 (1x Enc)

Powers:
At-Will:
Sword Burst, Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Aegis of Shielding, White Lotus Riposte, Boots of the Fencing Master (Move Effect)
Encounter: Sword of Sigils, Dimensional Vortex, Echoes of Sword Magic, Channeling Shield, Fey Strike Ranged Attack, Armathor's Step, Warded Vambraces, Periapt of Cascading Health, Boots of the Fencing Master, Fireheart Tattoo AP
Daily: Frost Backlash, Swordmage Shielding Fire, Armor of Sudden Recovery, Fey Strike Teleport, Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula

Weapons:
1 Fey Strike Katana (Fey Strike Longsword +1 stats)

Note: Gensai's Iaido-like style is for color purposes only. He is wielding one weapon and his off-hand is free. But, I think my color description makes more sense for swordmage abilities. Here's what the Periapt of Cascading Health looks like.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

Riardon waits carefully for the dragon to reply, watching for simple nuances in his moves and changes of voice.

[sblock=OOC]
Sorry, Insight is only +5 for a total of 24 (crit success ;))

Only 2 HS left, Riardon will need more sooner than later an extended rest...

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +2 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 20 Insight: 15 Low-light Vision
AC 26 Fortitude 22 Reflex 22 Will 19
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 59 / 59 Bloodied: 29
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:14 Surges per day: 2 / 9
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lion's Roar, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: I know this is long, but it's got some bits of history that will be necessary to keep in mind as the story unfolds. Unfortunately, things will be RP heavy for a little while. If you pay attention over the next few posts, however, you will find many useful clues.
"... First, my master before you who lies in slumber, we seek his safe return.

...A Dwarf was kidnapped from his home in Daunton, and we wish to bring him safe passage back home. We have reason to believe the wizard Shear brought him here.

...we came upon Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv. The false goddess seeks to unseat you, and looks to kill you. She tried to enlist my masters to kill you. We, humbly, bring this knowledge to you."
The dragon turns to the others in the group, "If you all chose this one for your spokesman, you need to reconsider," now addressing Gensai, "Let's leave the lies and the half-truths to the dragons, shall we?" He cranes his head back up nearly touching the cavern ceiling from his perch, "First of all, I think it better if your 'friend' here" he glances over in Mervin's direction,"got some sleep. He's been through a lot. Secondly, the dwarf wasn't kidnapped," he cocks his head in a mocking attempt to look as though he is thinking deeply, "I prefer the term 'unwittingly summoned'. It's far more accurate. And, by the way, if you had checked your facts correctly, you would know that he's closer to home, here, than he would be in Rioc Alair. Daunton's a far cry from here, and I doubt the poor squeak has ever heard of it," the dragon shifts his weight on the rock, "And Finally," he brings his head down directly in front of the bladmaster, cocked to the side so that one eye stares right through him, "You did not just happen to 'come upon' Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv. You slew some of my most loyal followers and foolishly chose sides with a liar, intending to come here and slay me while I slept,"Wer Vhisar's voice grows in intensity, "Do you take me for a fool!?" he bellows turning to face the ronin, "Do you not think I know where my wyrmrats are and what their doing!?" the dragon's voice is now irate, "You confessed as much to my concierge not a moment ago!" with that last phrase, he turns directly down at Gensai as if to bite his head off, and then pretends to think better of it. He pulls back, and his face softens, "Perhaps I can give you a sporting chance," the dragon's eyes narrow allowing the ends of his mouth to curl up around his 'beard' into a villainous smile, "I'll tell you my version of the lies you have heard, and you can choose which one contains more truth." He chuckles, and his voice takes on an even more sinister tone, "And if you still stick by your poor excuse of a story, you can fight your way out of this room."

A ball of vapor materializes in front of the party and begins to spark with lightning, as if it were a small thundercloud. Suddenly images begin to materialize and play out the story that Wer Vhisar narrates,

Not long ago, at least not long for me, the mountains to the north were infested with dwarves. They burrowed into the rock like termites into wood. It was not long before they had tunneled deep enough to find vi kepesk sitelia persvek doton. In your language, it means, "A storm captured in glass". It was not a single stone, but an entire vein of elemental magic. Their king, Arkus Mast Gimlord quickly recognized its value and put it to use. With it, they not only mined their ore, but also fashioned their weapons.
Call it hubris or greed, but Arkus allowed the elemental power to fuel his ambitions. I can hardly blame him. After all, these traits are a singular similarity between dwarves and dragons. In little time, he subjugated all inhabitants of the island, and even the sisters, Grovisvi Daariv and Lpuul Bakina, cowered in the forest in fear of caged tempest. Storm clouds gathered perpetually about the peaks of Rioc Parvel, and steel of the finest quality flowed perpetually from its roots.
The dwarves’ success, however, was also, ironically, their downfall. Legends of Arkus’ riches reached my father’s ears in Terning. He made the journey across the ocean, and fell swiftly upon the dwarves. There reliance upon their magic had made them forget how to fight with mundane weapons, and my father was immune to the sting of the captured storm. Even Arkus himself fell at his own gates. No one survived…
…except for a small band of dwarves who were off to sea at the time, among whom was one Bardir Arkus Gimlord, son of Arkus Gimlord. The pitiful group returned home to find a smoking ruin, and, realizing that they were too few to oust my father, settled on the western coast of Avenroc to allow their vengeance to build. They constructed a lighthouse in hopes of attracting more seafaring dwarves, but none came. Finally, the wait was too much. Bardir led the remnant of Rioc Parvel into the mountain to reclaim their right, but what they found was quite unexpected. Grovisvi Daariv and Lpuul Bakina had not been idle. They had slain my father and taken residence in Rioc Parvel. Bardir had found two young dragons, where he only anticipated a singular, aged wyrm. They were forced back to mountain’s perimeter where they held their ground for quite some time, but, eventually, they were undone. Only three made it out alive: Bardir, his wife Onyxia, and a fellow sea-dwarf Bredeniar Swordhand.
Bredeniar was set adrift on a sea-going vessel in hopes that he could reach Erkemhest and return with more dwarves for one last foray to retake the mines. He was to instruct others to pass the mouth of the Fluss (that is the river that runs from here to the ocean) regularly and watch for a beacon from the lighthouse. The lit beacon would signal the success of the dwarves and the return of their king to his throne.
Unfortunately, I was there to see Bredeniar’s fate. Upon reaching the open water, he was immediately apprehended and pressed into the service of pirates. It is not likely that he ever made it back to Erkemhest.
Bardir and Onyixia waited long at the lighthouse, and when Bredeniar did not return, they decided to strike north and cut their losses. Feeling abandoned by the dwarves of Erkemhest, Bardir changed his name to Bard Mast and settled in Rioc Alair where he and his wife had a son, Hankel, whom you had the good fortune to meet not a moment ago in the dungeons below.

Concluding his longwinded speech, the Wer Vhisar brings his head down to human-eye level once more, resting it on the backs of his foretalons with a sigh as the vaporous oracle dissipates, wraithlike, from the space between himself and the small band of five.

“And here,” he concludes, cocking his resting head to the side, “is where we decide who you will believe. I could eat you all right now, to be sure, but I might be able to use you , and that suits me more than the satiation of my hunger…at the moment.

“Though immune to their poison, I, alone, am not strong enough to avenge my father’s death. This is where you come in. I intend give you an opportunity to restore Hankel to his throne, but in return, I want three things:

“First, I want my father’s diffusion moved to these halls. I have prepared a place for it, and I can give you a ritual that will accomplish the task.

“Second, I want the moonstone. No doubt you have heard of it. It is an aspect of vi kepesk sitelia persvek doton that stands 7 hands wide by 1 hand, 1 span deep in dwarven measure. You will likely find it in my father’s lair within the mines.

“Third, I want Grovisvi Daariv and Lpuul Bakina dead. You are to bring me their heads as proof.”

Wer Vhisar rises, “Your friend,” he indicates the unconscious Mervin, “will stay here with me. I make no promises as to his safety, or yours for that matter, but my desire for your cooperation in this matter is likely enough to stay my appetite, at least until your return.” The dragon looks from one adventurers' eyes to the other…

“Now,” his voice sounds villainously gleeful, “What say you?”

[sblock=Riardon's Insight]Riardon's insight reveals that Wer Vhisar, as with most dragons has revealed a dangerous half-truth. His story seems accurate, at least to his own recollection, but he is holding back important information, primarily how it is that he knows this history.

Riardon also realizes that Wer Vhisar has not promised to do anything but give them an opportunity and a ritual (i.e.: no help and no protection, either from himself or from the sister dragons).[/sblock]
GM: Whew! Thanks for your patience. I actually had this about 3/4 written last night and the forum ate my post. @#&%$!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases