[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Arrows rain from the decrepit battlements, and even as they fall, more hideous, undead issue forth from the large orifice that was once the main gate of the lighthouse.

A large surge pushes the boat forward with surprising speed, and Fenwick just manages to keep the boat from being smashed on the rocks. The effort, however, exposes the orc, and he catches two arrows for it.

[sblock=Enemy Actions]Skeleton Archer 1
Standard: Longbow
Target: Riardon
Attack: 1d20+13=16 vs. AC (Miss)

Skeleton Archer 2

Target: Fenwick
Attack: 1d20+13-2(Concealment)-2(medium range)=28 vs. AC for 1d10+8 = 12 damage

Skeleton Archer 3
Target: Fenwick
Attack: 1d20+13-2(Concealement)-2(medium range)=20 vs. AC Miss.

Skeleton Archer 4
Target: Gensai
Attack: 1d20+13-5 = 26 vs. AC+2 Miss (With a nat 18! Sheesh!)

Skeleton Archer 5
Target: TikChik
Attack: 1d20+13-5 = 9 vs. AC Miss

[sblock=Explanation of IC Rolls]

• The 1d6 rolls are to pick the target (I accidentally rolled 6 attacks, so I only used the first 5)

1. Hankel
  2. Fenwick
  3. Gensai
  4. Riardon
  5. Sheng
  6. TikChik
  • The 1d20 rolls were the attack rolls (I manually deducted for TD and Concealment)
  • Damage was rolled separately
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Status]Riardon: R21 64/64HP 1AP 9HS
Gensai: Q21 81/81HP 1AP 12HS
TikChik: Q20 70/70HP 1AP 8HS Total Concealment
Sheng: P20 66/66HP 1AP 7HS Total Concealment
Fenwick: R20 61/73HP 1AP 11HS

Hankel: P21 32/32 Total Concealment
Skeleton Archer 1: C19 76/76 Cover
Skeleton Archer 2: C20 76/76 Cover
Skeleton Archer 3: C21 76/76 Cover
Skeleton Archer 4: C22 76/76 Cover
Skeleton Archer 5: C24 76/76 Cover

Skeleton Soldier 1: I17 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 2: I21 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 3: H19 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 4: H23 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 5: G15 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 6: E16 Minion
Skeleton Soldier 7: E21 Minion
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
LighthouseKeep2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Enemies]X5
SkeletonArcher.png

X7
SkeletonMinion.png
[/sblock][sblock=Regarding the Boat]The Ladder: Is at L18

Waves: One character must spend a Standard Action each round to maintain the boat's course. The standard action amounts to a DC 20 Athletics Check.

Failing the check means that the party grants combat advantage to the archers.

Failing by more than 5 means that the boat capsizes and the party must swim (as described in the PHB) to the ladder amid the hail of arrows.

Steering and Moving the Boat:
The boat moves at a rate of one square per round in the direction that the person maintaining the boat chooses.

Docking the Boat:

• Athletics DC 20 (Minor): Moor the boat to the ladder
    • Success: The boat is fastened in place
    • Failure: The Boat still requires fastening
  • Athletics DC 15 (Move): Climb ladder
    • Success: PC reaches the top of the ladder
    • Failure: By less than 5: PC does not advance, By 5 or more: PC falls into boat.
  • Athletics DC 25 (Move): Jump to ladder from an unmoored boat.
    • Success: You are on the ladder
    • Failure: You fall in the water, you are swimming, and you require a DC 25 Athletics check to grab the ladder

Characters already at the top of the ladder can aid others in the boat with a successful DC 15 Athletics roll to grant +2 (stacks with number of rolls).[/sblock][sblock=Story Outline]
If you want to do this quickly, just click on the links below and read ALL spoilers

• Original Party enters a bewitched cellar door that
    • Talon (Shifter Druid/Ranger)
    • Rujah (Dragonborn Warden)
    • Riardon
    • Jin (Human Swordmage)
    • Fenwick

1. Bewitched cellar where party finds a secret entrance to a thieves' den
  2. Back at The Hanged Man
    • Talon deciphers the dwarven docuements and discovers that a man named Hankel Mast Gimlord is heir to the throne of Rioc Parvel, a dwarven mine and stronghold.
    • He is overheard by a sailor dwarf named Fargo who recalls the legends of Rioc Parvel and offers you sea passage to Avenroc
    • The lightning weapons found by the group have a dwarven inscription that reads "When it's my turn, I'll show you my power."
    • Unscrewing the pommels of their weapons they discover a small blue crystal in each that appears to encapsulate a small storm.
  3. The ocean voyage
    • Fargo's ship is attacked by a flotilla of drowned ones
    • A storm portal opens and swallows the ship
    • Talon challenges a crewmember to a sparring match
    • Fargo drops the group off in the harbor of a city called Rioc Alair
  4. The Crystal Mug inn
    • The group meets Firebyrne an apprentice blacksmith to a dwarf named Hankel Mast who has been missing for some time
    • The group discovers that the bewitched cellar of their prior experience is the cellar of the Crystal Mug
    • The group is ambushed when they attempt to expose the thieves' ring
    • Mervin materializes in a barrel
    • The group reveals the thieves' den to authorities
    • Mervin discovers a dagger of lightning power
    • Riardon finds several rituals
    • Jin learns that Hankel has, in fact, been kidnapped by a man named Lars Hallmaster, whom Firebyrne had described as a "Friend". A wizard named Shear seems to be directing Lars' actions.
    • Jin opens up a cursed chest and is mortally wounded by flaming skulls
    • Jin's body is resurrected (using one of the rituals found by Riardon), but is possessed by an ancestor of Jin's named Gensai
  5. The city of Rioc Alair
    • The group meets a university professor named Amatalystan Shea Aramista who fills the group in on the history of Rioc Parvel
    • The group gears up at a black market shop in the cellar of a gear store
    • The group uses another ritual found by Riardon to generate a portal that leads to a remote, wooded location
  6. Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv
    • The group chooses to join sides with a green dragon to defeat a band of blue-dragonkin kobolds
    • The group learns of the existance of a blue dragon named Wer Vhisar who Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv blames for driving her mother aunt from their lair, and charges the group with destroying Wer Vhisar
  7. The entrance to Wer Vhisar's lair
    • The group navigates a pit trap
    • and disables a glyph of warding powered by an electric crystal
    • that guards a library containing some curious items
  8. The hall
    • The group is met by a kobold welcoming party that temporarily separates the group. Gensai and Fenwick fall into a prison cell. Rujah falls into the river below and is swept out to sea. Mervin stays behind to cover Riardon's retreat.
  9. The prison
    • The group meets Tikchik and Sheng
    • The group discovers a dwarven prisoner and a kobold prisoner
    • The group decides to look for Rujah and Mervin
  10. The hall part deaux
    • The group learns the fate of Rujah and Mervin
    • The group realizes that Iguyo De Wer Grovisv has lied to them
    • They find a hiding kobold who grants them an audience with Wer Vhisar
  11. Wer Vhisar's Lair
    • Wer Vhisar reveals to them his version of the feud story between himself and the three green dragons
    • Wer Vhisar offers the group an opportunity to seat Hankel Mast Gimlord on his rightful throne in return for three tasks
      • Transplant the diffusion of Wer Vhisar's father
      • Turn over a large gem called the Moonstone
      • Destroy Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother and aunt
  12. The Library Again
    • The party finally meets Hankel Mast, but, though he's aware and eager for the quest, he doesn't seem to know that he is the heir to Rioc Parvel
    • Hankel provides several documents, in particular, a map shoing the location and nature of their first task.
    • TikChik returns Hankel's knife
    • Sheng finds a source of arcane magic.
    • The party is given a boat and provisions
  13. Rioc Stang
    • Light the lighthouse
    • Find Stang: Arkus Gimlord's Axe
[/sblock][sblock=Important things to remember]

• Rituals in Riardon's Pack:
    • Raise Dead Used to raise Jin from the dead (got Gensai instead)
    • Knock Used to open the chest that killed Jin
    • Linked Portal Used to get to the green dragon encounter
    • Object Reading
    • Vistani Passkey
    • Precise Forgery
    • Decipher Script
    • Wizard Sight
    • Arcane Lock
    • Diffusion Transplantation (illegible at the moment)
  • Those of you who found lightning weapons still have them.
  • Mervin still has the dagger (but he's still on the floor of Wer Vhisar's lair)
  • Quick Plot summary
    • Setting: An interior island on the continent of Avenroc
    • Old blue dragon destroys a dwarven mine and dwarven king dies
    • Dwarven heir exiles himself and dies leaving a son who is clueless as to his heritage
    • Old blue dragon is killed by two sister green dragons, who now have a daughter (that's three green dragons on the loose).
    • The old blue dragon's son wants to avenge his father's death, but doesn't want to take the risk, so he offers the job to the adventurers.
    • Hankel (the clueless dwarven heir) is being held in the prisons below the blue dragon's lair
    • Wer Vhisar has pressed you into his service to light the dwarven lighthouse, kill the green dragons, re-seat Hankel on the throne at Rioc Parel, and transplant Wer Vhisar's father's diffusion.
    • Hankel has been freed and the party meets him in the trashed library that apparently was used by Shear on his visits to Wer Vhisar.
    • Evidently, Hankel has no idea that Bardir was his father, and that he is hier the throne of Rioc Alair
[/sblock]
GM: Summary:

• 7 New Minions
  • Fenwick takes 28 points of damage (vs. AC 24 or lower, 12 vs. AC 24-32. @BenBrown : Did you update your CS?)
  • Storm surge pushes boat closer to ladder

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Fenwick winces as the arrows stick into him, and inadvertently pulls the rudder the wrong way at the wrong time.

[sblock=ooc]Athletics Roll for Steering Boat (round 2) (1d20+13=15)
Damn. Nearly capsized us.

1) Rolling this low again next round isn't likely, but aid rolls for next round would be welcome.

2) I have updated my CS.

3) I'm going to move upgraded armor to the top of the wish list.[/sblock][sblock=Fenwick stat block]Fenwick Male Orc Barbarian 8
Initiative: +5, Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14, Senses: Low-light
AC:21, Fort:23, Reflex:20, Will:20
:bmelee: +14 vs. AC, 1d12+9 damage (brutal 2, high crit)

HP:45/73, Bloodied:36, Surge Value:18, Surges left:11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Howling Strike, Howl of Fury, Giantkind Gloves
Warrior's Surge, Roar of Triumph, Vault the Fallen, Shrug It Off, Shatterbone Strike,
Haggle, Curtain of Steel, Giantkind Gloves

Swift Panther Rage, Tiger Claw Rage, Rage Strike x2, Vanguard Execution Axe, Skald's Armor

Resourceful Leader: When an ally Fenwick can see spends an action point to make an attack, the ally gains a
+3 bonus to damage rolls on a hit or gains 3 temporary hit points on a miss.

Conditions:
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: can only one attempt to stir? Riardon got a +14 in athletics, so there is no chance he could capsize the boat. Standing behind two humanoids and a big mistcloud doesn't provide any cover? If not, can someone swap position, so we all can benefit from the concealment (just move the sorcerer to the middle rank).

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng makes a stance, standing sideways, right hand outstretched in a claw, left hand on top of his head and in the same fashion. After concentrating for a moment, he takes a small step forward, shifting the left for the right hand, and with a shout, producing a green skull shaped cloud that flies towards one of the skeletons in the beach. The skull screeches, and sinks into the skeleton's head. After seconds, the skeleton's skull cracks, green gas filtering out, until it bursts, releasing the green gas skull, that screeching, searches for another victim. However, the second skeleton proves to be more resilient.

Actions: Chaos orb: 29 vs will kills first, secondary attack 18, miss
I would suggest you let Sheng in the middle so his obscuring cloud affects the others too.

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=No Internet Access]I will be without reliable internet access for about a week. I expect to be back up around 8/28 - 8/29. Feel free to NPC me as needed.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
With the large orc trying to work on the boat, Tikchik looks around and realizes instinctively that they're not in a good position. Somehow, the idiotic Thri-kreen had an idea that would maximize the effect of Sheng's protective spell.

His mandibles twitching excitedly, Tikchik hurls a blade at the nearest skeleton, the weapon tumbling end over end and buries itself in the eye socket of the creature. It falls back to the ground and as its falling, the ranger's blade disappears and reappears in his hand in an instant.

[sblock=ooc]
Minor: Draw +2 Farbond weapon
Move: Natural Terrain Understanding - Target: Each ally in burst
Effect: Target gains +2 power bonus to AC TENT. Target's can shift 2 squares as a free action.
So, this may be a good time to move around and get SHeng in the middle?
Standard: RBA on I21 - RBA on I21skeleton (1d20+15+2-2=33, 1d10+9=15) hits and kills it
[/sblock]
[sblock=ministats]Tikchik Tiktikchik Male Thri-Kreen Ranger 9
Initiative: +7, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 17, Senses: Low-light
AC:24, Fort:22, Reflex:19, Will:19
HP:70/70, Bloodied:35, Surge Value:17, Surges left:7/7
Action Points: 1
Powers:
Twin Strike
Throw and Stab

Thri-Kreen Claws
Off-Hand Strike
Disruptive Strike
Lashing Leaves
Invigorating Stride
Natural Terrain Understanding

Jaws of the Wolf
Snarling Wolf Stance
Attacks on the Run
Steadfast Amulet +2
Dwarven Drakescale
Casque of Tactics

Important Stuff:
+1d6 damage on quarry target

Conditions:

Full sheet: http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/L4W:CS:Tikchik_Tiktikchik_(renau1g)[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: can only one attempt to stir? Riardon got a +14 in athletics, so there is no chance he could capsize the boat. Standing behind two humanoids and a big mistcloud doesn't provide any cover? If not, can someone swap position, so we all can benefit from the concealment (just move the sorcerer to the middle rank).
GM: I'll not impose a skill check on movement to rearrange yourselves. You are free to chose who steers as long as you use move actions to reposition yourselves such that the one steering ends up where Fenwick is now. I won't bother with enforcing Euclid's Algorithm here either. Just tell me where you want your characters to end up.

Concerning cover, the cloud doesn't provide cover, but concealment ;). I have to admit that I neglected to take that into account with Fenwick. The archers are some 30 feet vertical of your position, which means that not only do they suffer -2 for concealment, they also suffer -2 for range, meaning that Fenwick can subtract 16 from his damage (I'll do this in the previous update block as soon as I'm finished posting here). Fortunately, for me not for you, the cloud did not provide total concealment because of the height advantage.

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"Very strong magic Master Shen... there, an opening!"
Riardon directs the sorcerer as he himself moves into the cover of the conjured cloud.
Sheng's orb of acid strikes true, obliterating another skeleton on the coast.

[sblock=OOC]

move to stir, if this is fine with Fenwick
standard: Directing Stike. Acid Orb from Sheng at H23 skeleton
@Voda Vosa , I assume you are fine with me rolling such attacks to speed up?

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +2 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 20 Insight: 15 Low-light Vision
AC 28 Fortitude 22 Reflex 22 Will 19
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 64 / 64 Bloodied: 32
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:16 Surges per day: 9 / 9
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lion's Roar, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Warlord's Recovery, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases