[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)

renau1g

First Post
"Hey! Are you saying I took it? I don't think so. But I will definitely give him my knife, it's a family treasure you know. But I'm happy to get rid of it. The blasted thing took off my arm when my brother, rest his soul, attacked me with it. Crazy bugger. " the thri-kreen says, absently passing the knife back to the dwarf.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: OK. Here goes. Sorry about the long posts and long silences, but I'm not very keen on just throwing in a portal and saying, "Poof! You're there!" I've already done that too much on this adventure.

That said, I'll get you to your next encounter as quickly as possible.

Get your wishlists up to date. Treasure's coming.
"Silence irreverent one! I have not the time nor the patience to explain things to you. Suffice is to say that we have been forced to cooperate with this most traitorous foe for now."
"Well, that explains it then. We are all nothing more than prisoners."
"I remember much of... Jin," he said. "You... You are Hankel Mast. Firebyrne has sent my masters to rescue you, in a way. Obviously, it has not gone as planned."
"Yes, I am Hankel Mast. How did y-Well then, if Firebyrne sent you it makes me feel better to know that I'm missed." The dwarf pauses, "and what of Lars? I'd like to get my hands on that kid."
"Later, friend dwarf. You have a great destiny ahead, but only if we can get you away from this island. And it seems we have to kill two dragons before we can leave."
"So it appears. In fact not two, but three dragons," his voice drops to a whisper even though the group is quite alone, "and possibly four if my count is correct," the dwarf points down the corridor from which the party came.
"What knife? I've never met you before dwarf?"
The dwarf adopts a pedagogical tone, raising a single eyebrow, "The knife you picked up by mistake when you made such a hasty and, might I add, unhelpful exit from the dungeon below." He taps his foot expectantly, palm still out, fingers beckoning.
"Hey! Are you saying I took it? I don't think so. But I will definitely give him my knife, it's a family treasure you know. But I'm happy to get rid of it. The blasted thing took off my arm when my brother, rest his soul, attacked me with it. Crazy bugger."
Hankel pushes the knife back, "Not that one." The dwarf nimbly reaches over, slips the thri-kreen's pack off and begins rifling through its contents, "Hang on...Aha!" Hankel returns the pack to the dumfounded rogue while drawing from it masterfully crafted dagger, "This is the knife of which I spoke."[sblock=knife]
HankelsBlade.png
[/sblock]Pocketing the dagger, Hankel continues, "I've found that Professor Aramista has been busy of late." The dwarf re-opens the book he just finished reading. It is evidently a notebook of the wizard Shear, "He outlines here, that he's been trying to undermine the government of Rioc Alair, and that he's after the Moonstone."[sblock=Notebook Pages]
Theletter-1.png

Schematics-1.png

[/sblock]"My father told me stories about the Moonstone and dragons. He even told me about Arkus Gimlord, but I never figured they were real, that is, until now." He pull a vellum sheet, loosely tucked into the end cover of the notebook shakes it excitedly, "And this!" he beams with delight, "This is the best of it all!"[sblock=Vellum Sheet]
RiocStangcopy.png
[/sblock]"This means that Arkus Gimlord's son Bardir was also a prisoner here in this very complex, perhaps in one of the cells below, and that he was attempting to relight Rioc Stang, the lighthouse that would summon dwarves back to Rioc Parvel!"

He looks at each of them, "Fellows, we must light that tower, dragons or no dragons!" At this point the dwarf is so ecstatic that he begins to bob up and down like a school child waiting for candy, "Just think! This is a chance to give life to a Myth! To return the days of Rioc Parvel and its legendary glory!"

The dwarf looks at the party's blank stares, "Oh. I see. You can't read it, can you?" Hankel starts to point to the map and explain, "You see, here is Rioc Stang. It's a lighthouse that Bardir swore to light which would summon dwarves back to Rioc Parvel - This is just like my father's stories." He looks up to see if the group is following, "If I had a boat, I could probably use this map to take you,... I mean us,... to it. There is also mention, here," the dwarf indicates a runic word on the vellum sheet, "of STANG itself. That's Arkus Gimlord's axe. THE AXE. The one that won him fame when he discovered the power of the crystal-of-blue fire." He once again adopts a heroic gleam in his eye, "We've got to light that fire!"[sblock=Sheng's Arcana Check]Sheng detects strong magic from a chest located under a broken desk in the northeast corner of the room. THe body of a dead runespiral demon lies rotting next to it. The lock is welded shut.[/sblock]
GM: Post your wishlists or update your CS. I'll be awarding magic item treasure in this room.
[sblock=Story Outline]
If you want to do this quickly, just click on the links below and read ALL spoilers

• Original Party enters a bewitched cellar door that
    • Talon (Shifter Druid/Ranger)
    • Rujah (Dragonborn Warden)
    • Riardon
    • Jin (Human Swordmage)
    • Fenwick

1. Bewitched cellar where party finds a secret entrance to a thieves' den
  2. Back at The Hanged Man
    • Talon deciphers the dwarven docuements and discovers that a man named Hankel Mast Gimlord is heir to the throne of Rioc Parvel, a dwarven mine and stronghold.
    • He is overheard by a sailor dwarf named Fargo who recalls the legends of Rioc Parvel and offers you sea passage to Avenroc
    • The lightning weapons found by the group have a dwarven inscription that reads "When it's my turn, I'll show you my power."
    • Unscrewing the pommels of their weapons they discover a small blue crystal in each that appears to encapsulate a small storm.
  3. The ocean voyage
    • Fargo's ship is attacked by a flotilla of drowned ones
    • A storm portal opens and swallows the ship
    • Talon challenges a crewmember to a sparring match
    • Fargo drops the group off in the harbor of a city called Rioc Alair
  4. The Crystal Mug inn
    • The group meets Firebyrne an apprentice blacksmith to a dwarf named Hankel Mast who has been missing for some time
    • The group discovers that the bewitched cellar of their prior experience is the cellar of the Crystal Mug
    • The group is ambushed when they attempt to expose the thieves' ring
    • Mervin materializes in a barrel
    • The group reveals the thieves' den to authorities
    • Mervin discovers a dagger of lightning power
    • Riardon finds several rituals
    • Jin learns that Hankel has, in fact, been kidnapped by a man named Lars Hallmaster, whom Firebyrne had described as a "Friend". A wizard named Shear seems to be directing Lars' actions.
    • Jin opens up a cursed chest and is mortally wounded by flaming skulls
    • Jin's body is resurrected (using one of the rituals found by Riardon), but is possessed by an ancestor of Jin's named Gensai
  5. The city of Rioc Alair
    • The group meets a university professor named Amatalystan Shea Aramista who fills the group in on the history of Rioc Parvel
    • The group gears up at a black market shop in the cellar of a gear store
    • The group uses another ritual found by Riardon to generate a portal that leads to a remote, wooded location
  6. Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv
    • The group chooses to join sides with a green dragon to defeat a band of blue-dragonkin kobolds
    • The group learns of the existance of a blue dragon named Wer Vhisar who Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv blames for driving her mother aunt from their lair, and charges the group with destroying Wer Vhisar
  7. The entrance to Wer Vhisar's lair
    • The group navigates a pit trap
    • and disables a glyph of warding powered by an electric crystal
    • that guards a library containing some curious items
  8. The hall
    • The group is met by a kobold welcoming party that temporarily separates the group. Gensai and Fenwick fall into a prison cell. Rujah falls into the river below and is swept out to sea. Mervin stays behind to cover Riardon's retreat.
  9. The prison
    • The group meets Tikchik and Sheng
    • The group discovers a dwarven prisoner and a kobold prisoner
    • The group decides to look for Rujah and Mervin
  10. The hall part deaux
    • The group learns the fate of Rujah and Mervin
    • The group realizes that Iguyo De Wer Grovisv has lied to them
    • They find a hiding kobold who grants them an audience with Wer Vhisar
  11. Wer Vhisar's Lair
    • Wer Vhisar reveals to them his version of the feud story between himself and the three green dragons
    • Wer Vhisar offers the group an opportunity to seat Hankel Mast Gimlord on his rightful throne in return for three tasks
      • Transplant the diffusion of Wer Vhisar's father
      • Turn over a large gem called the Moonstone
      • Destroy Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother and aunt
  12. The Library Again
    • The party finally meets Hankel Mast, but, though he's aware and eager for the quest, he doesn't seem to know that he is the heir to Rioc Parvel
    • Hankel provides several documents (this post), in particular, a map shoing the location and nature of their first task.
    • TikChik returns Hankel's knife.
    • Sheng finds a source of arcane magic.
[/sblock][sblock=Important things to remember]

• Rituals in Riardon's Pack:
    • Raise Dead Used to raise Jin from the dead (got Gensai instead)
    • Knock Used to open the chest that killed Jin
    • Linked Portal Used to get to the green dragon encounter
    • Object Reading
    • Vistani Passkey
    • Precise Forgery
    • Decipher Script
    • Wizard Sight
    • Arcane Lock
    • Diffusion Transplantation (illegible at the moment)
  • Those of you who found lightning weapons still have them.
  • Mervin still has the dagger (but he's still on the floor of Wer Vhisar's lair)
  • Quick Plot summary
    • Setting: An interior island on the continent of Avenroc
    • Old blue dragon destroys a dwarven mine and dwarven king dies
    • Dwarven heir exiles himself and dies leaving a son who is clueless as to his heritage
    • Old blue dragon is killed by two sister green dragons, who now have a daughter (that's three green dragons on the loose).
    • The old blue dragon's son wants to avenge his father's death, but doesn't want to take the risk, so he offers the job to the adventurers.
    • Hankel (the clueless dwarven heir) is being held in the prisons below the blue dragon's lair
    • Wer Vhisar has pressed you into his service to light the dwarven lighthouse, kill the green dragons, re-seat Hankel on the throne at Rioc Parel, and transplant Wer Vhisar's father's diffusion.
    • Hankel has been freed and the party meets him in the trashed library that apparently was used by Shear on his visits to Wer Vhisar.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
OOC: Wish List Updated

"Good Master Dwarf, the dragon who has held you in captivity just lectured us on a new task: Transplant the diffusion of Wer Vhisar's father, Turn over a large gem called the Moonstone, and Destroy Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother and aunt. If all this is done, he says he will sit you on the throne again--though, in fairness, he did not say whether you would still be alive when he did so."

"So," Gensai asked quietly, looking over his shoulder for unwanted ears, "What exactly do you propose?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The dwarf looks a little confused, "Those names are in the language of dragons, 'Wer Vhisar' means 'The Cheater'. 'Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv' means Goddess of the Forest, though somehow I doubt itpt-tchu-," Hankel sputters into a rage, "T-TURN OVER THE MOONSTONE!!!!????" his face red, throwing his hands up in the air, "ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is not his, and, frankly, it was never yours to promise!" He wags his finger at the group as if scolding them, when, suddenly, comprehension dawns, "Hang on!" He looks from one of the five to the other "Cheater, Trickster...WALRYN!" He almost yells the name down the corridor, "Blue dragon, about two hundred or so years old, right?" So certain is he that he continues without even waiting for a nod, "That is the ba$tard's name. Walryn. Not Wer Vhisar. That beast's father slew Arkus Gimlord and nearly every dwarf in Rioc Parvel. You will not give him the Moonstone! It's not yours to give! It belongs to Bardir, or his heir. He will decide what to do with it, and I can guarantee you that he won't give it to the son of his father's murderer!" The blacksmith spits on the stone floor. Composing himself, he scratches his beard, "And as for sitting me on the throne, that job also belongs to Bardir or his heir, not to me, dead or alive."Composing

"So,What exactly do you propose?"
"What do I propose?" Hankel's expression of one in disbelief, "Have you not been listening?" he shakes his head, "I pro-p-o-s-e... we take what we can from here while we have Walryn's misguided graces, get ourselves a boat, float down the Fluss, and light the tower. That will bring Bardir's men back, and maybe even Bardir himself. Then we go take Rioc Parvel, killing this 'forest goddess' and whoever else gets in our way!"

Voda Vosa

First Post
A small smile draws in Sheng's face. Perhaps he'll make the insect open the chest; then he'll have a REAL story of how he lost another arm. But that could wait.

"If we do all that we will incur in the rage of this most powerful blue dragon, and the moonstone would give us no protection from it whatsoever. I fail to see how we, even bolstered by these dwarves, would make a worthy fight for the wyrm. However, if we succeed before The Cheater finds out, we'll have bargain on our side. His Father infusion could also prove of use in that bargain." Sheng strokes his beard. "One way or they other, we'll end up having to fight the dragon, even if we comply to his demands, he'll betray us in the end and try to kill us in a most unhonourable treason, Such is the way of fiends like him."

"Now, on more pressing matters, is any of you skilled in the art of thievery? I have divined the location of a tresure chest, and I feel strong arcane energies emanating from it. Opening it is will certainly serve our cause, whichever it is..." the sorceror adds, pointing in the direction of the chest.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Sheng makes a back kick hitting the Spam! As he tumbles, about to fall to the floor, he hits him with an uppercut, sending him flying towards the spikes on the ceiling to die impaled in horrible ways. Out of nowhere, comes a voice that says... Sheng Zim Wins, Fatality.

Spam reported.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"If we do all that we will incur in the rage of this most powerful blue dragon, and the moonstone would give us no protection from it whatsoever."
Hankel smooths his face and beard with the palm of his hand, trying to regain, and maintain, his composure. He replies slowly and didactically, "You are right that it won't be any help against Walryn, but using it against Walryn is not the point. The point is to keep him from using it."

"And what would turning this moonstone do?"
"If you give the moonstone to Walryn, he will be unstoppable! Arkus discovered that the hard way. According to the stories my father told me, and seeing all of this I have no reason to doubt them, the Moonstone amplifies the blue dragon's power...quite significantly."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases