D&D 4th Edition [Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79) - Page 49


What's on your mind?

  1. #481
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    H.M.Gimlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,694
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchuu View Post
    OOC: Sorry I've been absent, but monday night I went to the emergency room, and ended up having my appendix removed. While I am recovering, my activity might not be at normal pace.
    OOC: Double ouch! Just glad you're OK. Take you're time and heal up. All of ENWorld seems to be slow right now, and I'm enjoying spending time with my kids .

    BTW: Still waiting on VV to roll the dice.
    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

    "Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

 

  • #482
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    11,101
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Voda Vosa
    My communities:

    OOC: Sorry, I thought I had posted, but I didn't. Roll is now attached to my last post.
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #483
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    H.M.Gimlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,694
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

    Riardon
    Examining the bloodspatters, Riardon notices that the blood (now quickly drying) has seeped through cracks in the floor under the altar. Evidently the floor is rigged like the pit trap at the doorway. Alert to this, he searches for a trigger and quickly finds one. It's a stone protruding from the pedestal of the statue to the altar's right.
    Gensai
    Though obviously not the same dragon, this statue bears a familial resemblance to the green dragon with which Gensai and his fellow adventurers parlayed in the forest some two days ago. Some things she said start coming to mind. Once again, something feels "off", as if there is a lie somewhere in her words....
    GM: Be aware that each word in "Some things she said" is a link to a different passage. Be sure to read them all to find the lie.
    Gensai gets the feeling that, though Mervin was overrun, he might have been taken captive rather than killed.
    Sheng's examination of the walls and floors leads him to the pit trap at the chamber entrance. He stares past the roughly constructed bridge down into the shaft, and something catches his eye.
    Sheng
    Tikchik sees a portion of the shaft devides. One side leads to the prison below where he and Sheng met the others. The other portion of the shaft leads off to the east, terminating in an unknown location. It is possible that two people, having fallen down the same shaft may not have ended up in the same place, and that the other place is somewhere northeast of the pit, at least one floor below.
    Sheng closes his eyes and chants, conjuring the swirling mists to form an image of the events that unfolded in the room earlier today. Suddenly, the clouds of magical gas divide and form ghostly images of Rujah, Riardon, Gensai, Mervin, and Fenwick. They come to sentience and bow before their arcane master. As if from an unspoken command, they snap to attention and walk to specific areas of the corridor.
    Gensai, Riardon, and Fenwick (the real ones) immediately recognize the scene. It is a phantasmal reenactment of the battle just before they were all separated.

    A crowd of gaseous kobolds form, taking their places in the re-creation and the battle ensues.

    Gensai, Fenwick, and Rujah fall down the pit, but Rujah falls down the pit on the eastern side, while Fenwick and Gensai fall through on the western side. Tikchik's brow shoots up with comprehension. The spectral form of Riaron Flees from the northern end of the corridor as the image of Mervin throws a green cloud back toward the kobold likenesses. Overwhelmed by numbers, Mervin is subdued and carted back into the antechamber toward the dias. As the ghosly kobolds and their wizard prisoner approach the tapestry, they fade as if Sheng's magic is not strong enough to sustain the image beyond that curtain.

    Within the antechamber, one kobold cloud remains behind, and sneaks stealthily to the chamber corner, disappearing behind a statue in the corner.

    Fenwick immediately picks up on the cue. He moves over to the statue and shoves it aside to reveal a cowering kobold (a real one). The reptile seems frightened, but defiant, "You sssssshhhould die meatsssskin!"

    Fenwick and the others are faced with a decision: bash the poor bugger's head in, or see what it knows.
    Skill Challenge Round 2

    Round 1 Results


    Congratulations! You've earned yourselves some bonuses for next round!

    Gensai: History - 32, 3 Points +2 to next round's check
    Sheng: Arcana - 24, 2 Points+1 to next round's check
    Tikchik: Perception - 31, 3 Points +2 to next round's check
    Riardon: Perception - 31, 3 Points +2 to next round's check
    Fenwick: Athletics - 25, 2 Points +1 to next round's check

    Note: Repeating the same skill multiple rounds in a row imposes a cumulative -2 penalty.

    Round Total: 13 Points: 2 Victory Points and Advantage: all PCs have a +1 cumulative bonus to skill checks during the rest skill challenge (meaning now, in addition to any individual bonus, everyone has a +2 to their rolls).

    Skill challenge total: 4 Victory Points

    Objectives
    : Find out what happened to Mervin and Rujah by collecting clues in a possibly hostile environment.
    Rounds: 3
    Challenge Level: 8

    Round 3 Focus: Interrogate the kobold to find out how to get to Rujah and Mervin.

    Round 3 Rules:
    Intimidate checks suffer from a -6 penalty

    Individual Skill DCs:

    • 15-: 0 points, -2 to next round's skill check
    • 16-20: 1 point, -1 to next round's skill check
    • 21-25: 2 points, +1 to next round's skill check
    • 26+: 3 points, +2 to the next round's skill check
    • Natural 1: -1 point, lose a healing surge
    • Natural 20: +1 point, stumble upon treasure



    Roll Options


    • Stealth: A successful stealth check will produce points as normal, but will not provide insight toward your objective. Instead it will, in the event that the round total falls below the Disaster level(see Round Totals below), add 1 additional point to the round total. If the round total is already at Complication or above, no additional point is gained.
    • Action Points: An action point may be used to roll an additional skill check in a round, though it must be different than the original check.
    • Aid Another: You may take -3 on a skill check to grant someone else a reroll.
    • Heroic Effort: You may spend a healing surge before a roll to gain +3 on the roll or after the roll to gain a +1 - or both for two surges.



    Repeating a Skill: A cumulative penalty of -2 will be applied to a PC that uses the same skill as he/she his/her previous round. Notice that it only applies to the previous round, thus this can be avoided by going back and forth between two skills.

    Round Totals (I screwed up on these last round. They were too hight. These are the corrected numbers):

    • 0-4 total points: 0 victory points and Disaster: -2 cumulative penalty to all future rolls in the skill challenge and your effort draws the attention of more residents.
    • 5-9 total points: 1 victory point and Complication: -1 cumulative penalty to all future rolls in the skill challenge and clues may prove misleading.
    • 10-14 total points: 2 victory points and Advantage: +1 cumulative bonus to all future rolls in the skill challenge and gives each PC a +1 to diplomacy checks in any future discussions the blue dragon, should you meet.
    • 15+ total points: 3 victory points and Miracle: +2 cumulative bonus to all future rolls in the skill challenge and you discover a cache of treasure.


    Victory Points: Victory points represent how productive the round was. These are totaled over the course of the skill challenge to determine the level of success the party has had with the skill challenge.

    Final Victory Point Totals This is a four-level measure of the outcome of the total skill challenge after 3 rounds. Descriptions are intentionally vague.

    • 0-2 total points: Total Disaster
    • 3-5 total points: Technical Complication
    • 6-8 total points: Strategic Advantage
    • 9+ total points: Overwhelming Miracle

    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

    "Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

  • #484
    "I am so confused," Gensai said, his head lost in the mystery of it all. "Look at this statue. It looks so much like Wer Grovisv, the dragon we met at the portal. And that dragon told us this was its home, at one point. But if it has been overtaken by the blue dragon, why do they make a sacrifice in front of this status. Something seems off, but I can't say what. Remember what it said to us?"

    Gensai relayed to the others Some things she said, in hopes that they would make sense of it all.

    "It would seem not all of the dwarves of Rioc Parvel were killed; I think we are here to find one. Perhaps he has powers they all seek, the green and blue dragon alike?" Gensai shook his head and stared at the statue, "what secret are you hiding from us? We must find master Mervin and master Rujah, but I do not want to rush head long into some trap."

    Gensai watched the gaseous vision, and watched with shock as Kobold had been hiding, listening. He stormed over to the creature. "You overheard what I said, everything about the history of this island. Tell me what of it you know? For right now, I am on a mission from Wer Grovisv to take your head and the head of your masters. Tell me what is really going on here, and I'll spare your life."
    L4E Character: Jin | Pic | Token

  • #485
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    BenBrown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    That ol' Bay Area
    Posts
    1,395
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore BenBrown
    Fenwick smiles broadly at the kobold.

    "Fenwick advise kobold not to attack," he says calmly to the creature. "Fenwick now tell kobold how talking is beneficial. Person who does not talk when given opportunity, will end up like cousin of Fenwick, who is offspring of extremely dangerous aunt. Cousin out in woods setting traps to hunt for wolverines one day. Members of ethnic minority to which Fenwick belog come running by in a great hurry, but does cousin talk to them and ask them where they are going to? No he does not! This is unwise, but cousin does not talk, and continue with setting traps, because wolverine pelt is waterproof and good for making winter coats. So cousin stay there and does not find out why people are running. Then Bugbear run by, but cousin still does not talk, not even to say 'Hey you Bugbear, stop. This not bugbear land, but land of picturesque ethnic minority renowned for handicrafts.' No, cousin continue with setting traps, because musk gland of wolverines useful for making stink bomb. So cousin is still setting trap when swarm of army ants arrive and start eating everything, including cousin. Cousin run away fast, but still bitten by ants and swell up like frog and is no good at all for months, and still not see so well out of right eye.
    "This is benefits of talking. Gensai, who is friend of Fenwick have big sword, but is not like army ants, and is happy to converse rather than eat everything. Fenwick also happy to converse. Fenwick like talking, as talking is way to make deals and exchange goods. Fenwick still have spare hides for sale. Kobold wish to buy one? No?"
    Diplomacy
    Diplomacy on Kobold (1d20+11+2=17)
    Not so good. I can do better, so I will Haggle (encounter power)
    Diplomacy on Kobold (1d20+11+2=23)
    I'll take the second roll
    L4E characters: Fenwick Orc Barbarian 9, Kaeysari Shifter Fighter 7, The Black Fox Bard 4

  • #486
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    11,101
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore Voda Vosa
    My communities:

    After his arcane display, Sheng walks hastily towards the now probably shivering kobold. Pushing Fendwick to a side, with a sort of outraged expression in his face, the monk stand next to the kobold, and looks at it's eyes....
    "True, though not convincing enought my dear friend." he says. "Now little insignificant maggot, you'll do well in telling us all what you know. This man here, to whom we have all pledge loyalty, is Genasi, Dragonslayer of renown. He has killed hundreds of dragons, from the smallest drakes to the biggest elder red dragons. Single handed, he has bested armies of scaly disgusting scum like you. However, he has been cursed by a powerful sage; that is why you got the upper hand in last encounter. However, now they count with the magical prowess of Sheng, the mystical monk, and ..." Sheng points out and the Thriken "Cockroach; the, hm, savage witch doctor. You have probably seen the ritual we performed here; let me inform you that using the mystical energies of this place, we have relieved our master from it's curse. I don't think you'll like to be the first creature he puts his now unhinged strong hand on, am I right?" Sheng finishes his elaborated lie.

    Bluff: 23

    OOC: Hope I could give you EXP for that cool scene description!
    Last edited by Voda Vosa; Tuesday, 14th June, 2011 at 07:37 AM.
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #487
    Registered User
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    Walking Dad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,780
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    7

    Ý Ignore Walking Dad
    My communities:

    Riardon

    Riardon knows when big speeches are required and when not.After the longer speeches of his companions, the simple kobold brain will not be able to grasp another one. He simply stares at it, his eyes sparkling with arcane energies, and says: "Tell them!"

    OOC


    Using arcane mutterings to substitute arcana for intimidation.

    Only 2 HS left, Riardon will need more sooner than later an extended rest...

    -----

    When you spend an AP, you get a +2 on attacks.

    Mini stat block

    Riardon d'Caelis
    Perception: 20 Insight: 15 Low-light Vision
    AC 26 Fortitude 22 Reflex 22 Will 19
    Initiative: +4
    Hit Points: 59 / 59 Bloodied: 29
    Temporary Hit Points: 0
    Resist: -
    Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
    Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
    Healing Surge:14 Surges per day: 2 / 9
    At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
    Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lion's Roar, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
    Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

    Condition:

    Signature

    Hi I'm a comic and rpg nerd. Don't hurt me, please.

    PS: English is NOT my native language!

    May the 4th be with you!

    PbPs

    Invisible Castle

    http://www.d20srd.org/
    Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)


    My Houserules

    I am SpiderClan

  • #488
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    H.M.Gimlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,694
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

    OOC: Anyone heard from @renau1g ? Haven't perused the threads to see a message yet. Just wondering.

    *EDIT* Nevermind. I'll NPC him since he's planning on being pretty MIA until mid July. Won't get around to the update until tomorrow though.
    Last edited by H.M.Gimlord; Sunday, 19th June, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

    "Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

  • #489
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    H.M.Gimlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,694
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

    TikChik's insect-like proboscis detects the scent of the kobold and realizes that this fellow was in the prison briefly before their escape attempt. This reptile is no ordinary kobold. He smells.... cleaner than the others, "This one's the dragon's right-hand squeak, he is" the thri-kreen observes, "He's no ordinary lackey."
    Nature
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchuu View Post
    "You overheard what I said, everything about the history of this island. Tell me what of it you know? For right now, I am on a mission from Wer Grovisv to take your head and the head of your masters. Tell me what is really going on here, and I'll spare your life."
    Amid the threats, and the questions, this simple statement seems to make the reptile's eyes flash from confusion to comprehension. Then it smiles slyly, "I caresss not about my life." It hisses. It actually becomes less afraid, in fact, it appears as though it is becoming amused, "But I tellss you anyway, becaussss I thinkssss you are misssssstaken." A hint of a smile crosses the kobold's long muzzle and it attempts what appears to be a sly wink, "Yesssss. I lisssstensss to you ssspeak. Your 'goddesssss'" it lifts its claws and flexes them to resemble quotation marks when it says this, "Issss a liar! 'Coursssss all dragonssss lie. Jusssst sssssome doessss it for gain, and otherssss jusssst to be mean.

    "Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv missssleadss you. But sssssshe's trickssssy with half-truthssss. Wer Vhisar not drivesss Iguyo Di Wer Grovisv's mother from her home. Grovisvi Daariv and her ssssissster Lpuul Bakina killssss Wer Whisar'sss father while Wer Vhisar isss sssstill an egg. Wer Vhisar essscapesss. The ssssissstersss ssstill live in Rioc Parvel. Masster wantsss it back." The kobold's head jerks up as if it just remembered something it forgot, "Ooooh. Dwarfssses! Dwarfssses fightssss when Wer Vhisar'ssss father takesss Rioc Parvel." The reptile shakes its head as if the story is getting muddled in its tiny mind, "Wasssss long ago. Great-grandfather tellssss grandfather the ssstory. Grandfather tellsss Father. Father tellssss me.

    "Now, today." The kobold's eyes now become more lucid in certainty, "Sssssshear comessss with dwarf and human. Dwarf issss king of Rioc Parvel, wizard ssssays. Wer Vhisar assssksss for prooof, and Ssssshear spillssss human'ssss blood to sssshow human'ssss memoriesssss. Memoriesssss sssshow that dwarf hassssss chip from Moonssstone! Wer Vhisar keepssss dwarf for quesssstioning and killlssss Ssssshear. Then masssster eatsss human.

    The kobold looks up at Gensai snapping out of its reverie, "Your friendsss are alive. Wer Vhisar isss curioussss why they came. He sssssaved your wissszrd from death to find out who you are. He waitssss for you." The kobold points through the tapestry, "The dragonman fell down the East sssschute to the river. He'ssss been ssswept out to sssea!"

    Then the kobold turns to Sheng and Tikchik, "You are the onessss he hired. If you had ssstayed in your ssscell, you might have been treated better." He laughs pointing at their wounds from the skirmish in the prison, "Wer Vhisar wassss keeeping you for a tassssk."

    Skill Challenge Round 2

    Round 1 Results


    Congratulations! You've earned yourselves some bonuses for next round!

    Gensai: History - 23, 2 Points
    Sheng: Bluff - 23, 2 Points
    Tikchik: Nature - 36, 3 Points
    Riardon: Arcana - 25, 2 Points
    Fenwick: Diplomacy - 23, 2 Points

    Note: Repeating the same skill multiple rounds in a row imposes a cumulative -2 penalty.

    Round Total: 11 Points: 2 Victory Points

    Skill challenge total: 6 Victory Points: Strategic Advantage
    GM: Congratulations! You have successfully completed the skill challenge and earned a strategic advantage: The kobold, who happens to be of some rank among the others here, offers an audience with Wer Vhisar and the promise of not being attacked on the way.
    The kobold steps up to the tapestry and pulls it aside to reveal the entrance to what once must have been the opulent throne room for some sylvan lord. Enormous gargoyles stand guard at the entrance, and ornate columns support an intricately sculpted ceiling. The party's new reptilian guide beckons the group to follow. The promise of a kobold is not one to be accepted lightly, but upon its insistence the group feels that this creature is acting out of curiosity rather than malice.

    Through the curtain, picking its way a little too carefully to be direct, the kobold leads them around a corner, past the dais and throne of the great chamber and through a gaping hole that has been torn in the rear wall of the throne room that reveals a cavernous chamber of a much less finished appearance. From through the hole, still at some distance, the party hears a cacophonous sound, like the howling of the wind, or a thousand stones being smashed upon one another.

    The smell of ozone quickly dissipates and the reek of rotting flesh attacks the party's senses as they approach the hole in the wall. Stacks of dead bodies and armor once occupied, but now ownerless, lie in heap after heap throughout the chamber beyond.

    The grotto is dimly lit by brazers of incense that seem to compliment, rather than suppress the stench.

    The thundering noise grows as the party passes through the opening and appears to be issuing from a large hole in the floor at the chamber's. Looking through reveals an overhead view of an underground river where other kobolds can be seen milling around. It appears that a boat has just landed on one side of the river and goods are being unloaded. The sound of the water's rush is too loud to make out voices.

    Turning their attention, again, to the cave in which they stand, the party sees, against the far wall, a mountain of treasure, the likes of which they have never seen before in their lives. In front of the enormous cache lies the unconscious form of Mervin.

    "Wait here," the kobold snickers, "Touch nothing! I getsss massster" Then it runs off through the opening through which the party entered as though it is relieved in not having to remain in the chamber.
    Big Picture Map
    Local Map
    GM: Please RP your characters actions, thoughts, suspicions, conjectures, etc... for two rounds while you wait for Wer Vhisar.
    Last edited by H.M.Gimlord; Monday, 20th June, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

    "Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

  • #490
    OOC: walk to AJ20. What's this blue thing?

    "I thought that dwarf was from Rioc Parvel... but the king? What are the chances this dragon lets us live?"

    Gensai looks around, but tries not to get too close to the treasure pile. He doesn't want to send the wrong message when the dragon arrives. He peers over his shoulder from time to time to see what's there, but keeps his back toward the treasure.
    L4E Character: Jin | Pic | Token

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 840
      Last Post: Monday, 1st August, 2011, 10:19 PM
    2. Adventure:Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)
      By H.M.Gimlord in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 1085
      Last Post: Saturday, 20th November, 2010, 12:30 PM
    3. Replies: 927
      Last Post: Tuesday, 20th April, 2010, 03:49 AM
    4. Replies: 535
      Last Post: Monday, 8th March, 2010, 10:49 PM
    5. Replies: 526
      Last Post: Tuesday, 5th January, 2010, 05:23 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •