DDI VT Beta thread

wedgeski

Adventurer
We basically used it as a battle mat, initiative tracker and dice rolling app.
Interesting report, thanks. That would be about what I'd expect if you were to use a VT that way. I wonder if your experience would be different if the flat screen were, actually, flat, with the players arranged around it, i.e. an electronic battle-mat. There are a few threads around here that describe similar set-ups with by all accounts, excellent results.

RodneyThompson

First Post
We basically used it as a battle mat, initiative tracker and dice rolling app.

I actually ran the entire Age of Worms campaign for my 3E group in this fashion, with a virtual battlemat on my big screen TV. Some advice for overcoming the issues that you had:

Put something else on the screen when non-combat scenarios are taking place. I put the art from the Age of Worms campaign (the great head-shots and character illos done by Eva Wildermann) on the screen, and it really helped the players visualize who they were talking to.

During a combat, make it a point to look at players and speak directly to them, rather than at the screen.

Hope these help future endeavors!

Hussar

Legend
I was giving this some thought and here's a feature I REALLY hope to see, and one that would put the VTT well ahead of others.

1. The ability to designate tokens as allies.
2. The abilty to have aura (and aura type abilities like a warlord's initiative bonus) take automatic effect on allied tokens.

That would be great. I know that when I've used Maptools, I've forgotten leader auras from time to time and, when playing a warlord, I constantly have to remind the others to add their initiative bonus. Having that sort of thing built right in would be fantastic.

TheClone

First Post
I don't really like the design of the application. I suppose that's partially a problem with Java itself. If they had sticked to WPF or Silverlight, I am sure we would have something more attractive. (Platform independency be damned.)

Now your mention is falling back on you, because I need to comment on that. I don't see any reason why the design has something to do with Java limitations. Are you referring to look of the app only? Because it looks nothing at all like Java, so there should be no problem in radically changing it. But if you will point out some specifics, I'll do so, too.

.NET is not all good, even if you like it ;) Even if your points will be limited by using Java I'll still prefer it, because I can run it anywhere without problems. Might not be applicable for Win-only users, but for everybody else.

Bit I can second the other points you made. I'll even have some more, but I have to refine my list to get something worth posting.

I would think the most logical explanation is DnD is a game played on a weekly basis, so people with it are probably only really using it once a week or so. It will take some time for a good amount of gaming to be had by an individual group using the VTT.

I can give you confirmation, after the first play last friday I intented to play again tomorrow but that will be postponed to monday :(

ps: I am in the BETA :)

Riastlin

First Post
This thread got awfully quiet. Theories:

a) WotC sent out a batch of retroactive NDAs

b) A Tron virus sucked all the testers into "alpha space"

c) It's just. that. good.

d) ?

I just received my invite about 10 minutes ago, so hopefully I can tell you in a few days. Unfortunately, not positive when I'll be able to get on and try it out due to a death in the family. :(

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Just wanted to jump in and say that I just got my invite this afternoon as well. I'm hoping that I can try this thing out without having to offer to run a game. I really don't have time for that right now. =/

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I, too, just received my beta invitation. I hope to set up the 4e Home Encounters adventures as a trial run for the program. Anyone else who has the beta and who is interested in playing in such a game, let me know!

TirionAnthion

First Post
It sounds like a new round of Beta invites has gone out. I found an invite awaiting me in my inbox this morning. I have to study for finals this weekend so my time will be limited. After that, I am on christmas break and will have loads of free time to play with the program.

I am looking forward to giving this a whirl and seeing how it works. I do not really use Virtual Tabletop software but I am hoping that this program might change that. I live in the country so being able to skip a 2hr round trip drive to play D&D should improve the frequency of my gaming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases