DDI VT Beta thread

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
I'm also a beta tester. It appears that one of the testers created an adventure that the other testers can download and import. It comes with a map and moster stats/locations.

Keeping track of monsters seems pretty easy. You right click the monster and you can view the monster details in the info panel, adjust it's hit points, pick it up (to move it), remove its token (when it dies), make it invisible to the players. add it to the initiative tracker, and export it's info.

The exported data is stored in some binary format (presumably proprietary) and looks to be a different format than the previous character/monster builder formats. You can save a map or an adventure. The adventure is a map plus monster and PC stats. It also looks like you can open up multiple maps/adventures at the same time and switch between the two. I can see this being useful to take an existing map and copy parts to another map.

The dungeon tiles look like a very basic and limited only consisting of tiles used in a dungeon. No city or wilderness tiles yet. You can also draw directly on the map with simple draw tools. The shared adventure has lines drawn on the tiles to show a change in elevation.

Both the players and DM can make notes in a journal. The DM can make notes private and public. Making a note public sends it to the chat screen. The DM can also write notes directly on the map. These too can be both public and private.

When you create monsters, you can clone them. When you do, it puts a number on each token image. It's hard to see which number in the select box, but I find it better to just pick the token and use it to select the monster's stats.

I'm pretty sure the problems I have with the tool are because it's in beta form. If I'm creating an adventure from scratch, I do not want to have to create monster stat blocks ahead of time. Especially for monsters in WotC's published material. Likewise, I don't want my players having to create info for their characters although that is not as big a deal. It would be much better to import them in from WotC's servers now that the character builder is storing characters in the cloud (and presumably the monsters will eventually be in the cloud as well).

This would be the advantage of being a D&D insider subscriber. I'm not sure if the virtual game table will be available to non-subscribers but it should be. I'm hoping the ability to use the table will be free, but DMs will want to be subscribers to take advantage of the monster stats on the WotC servers.

How they put a price on the game table will go along way to its success. I've played a lot of games online, and invariably the free software (like open rpg) have the most gamers available and therefore the most games played.

One last thought. Technology wise, they use Java Web Start. I was surprised since the two character builders use the .Net Framework and Silverlight. This means they were probably programmed in the C# language (or technically VB I guess). I was very surprised when I saw the java splash screen the first time I launched it since it means the Virtual Table was probably written in java.

I played a lot of 3E D&D online and used various tools. I played a lot on OpenRPG and a fair bit on Maptools. These tools are similar to the Virtual Table and had some features the Virtual Table is missing. For instance, a lot of customizable tokens and pre-made monsters are available. They also have macros and quick keys. The tokens and pre-made monsters I'm sure will be available soon. The macros, I don't think are necessary. You can create different attack options for your character that are a couple of mouse clicks away.

I should point out that the Virtual Table has a few more features that the others don't. For instance, the initiative tracker is very nice. I like the ability to set parts of the map invisible/invisible and I don't remember that feature in another free tool (I think the pay tools had it though).

Any feature or question in specific you have, I'll try to answer for you.

Last edited:

Maudragon

First Post
I'm also a beta tester. [...]

Any feature or question in specific you have, I'll try to answer for you.

Derek, thanks for the report. I have a couple of questions that remained without a reply on the WotC forum.

1) What about screen resolution? How would it look like on a net PC with 1024 x 600 screen resolution?
2) What about double monitors or projector? Is this feature supported?

If those features work, I would really like to replace maps and minis with the VT for live games.

Please, let me know. :)

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
FYI, MapTool has both an Initiative Tracker and both Hidden Layers, Line of Sight, and Fog of War features.

Though, indeed, the smartest part of a WotC Virtual Tabletop would be interfacing with the Compendium, Monster Builder, and Character Builder for stuff. That could certainly keep it competitive.

When they add it. ;)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Just got the invite today and managed to run the VTT after some excitement involving different version of java and browsers. I am on 64bit Windows 7 but generally use the 32bit browser as Adobe only provide 32bit readers and thus I can only read Dragon and Fungeon on 32 bit browsers.

Now I have never actually ran a game in Maptools but I have played around with it and actually set up a session. From my 10 minutes or so of playing about with the tools. I think it might be easier to get into than maptool. I will know more later and hopefully write up something more meaningful in this thread.

last night I ran my first game, a kobold hunt with a twist. It went well, and I love the table. I do have a few problems, but until I am sure it isn't user error I will keep it to myself.

Does the virtual table let me set up multiple encounters? It would save game time to be able to prepare beforehand

Yes, it does. You can create multiple maps (aka encounters) within the campaign and hide them from your players until you are ready to use them.

How were you able to get it running? I kept failing to connect with the server?

What is the specific error? I know I had issues at first due to pop-ups. What browser are you using?

keterys

First Post
I did a quick skim last night.
* Messed around with "paint"-ing features on the map and adding tiles
* Made a couple monsters and powers
* Loaded up the Kobold Hall adventure to test a predone thing

Didn't do anything from a PC perspective.

So far, I think they're on a good track with their voice support and paint features, but far shy of competing directly with Maptools (which I've run a game in for over a year) or Fantasy Grounds.

Specifically:
The level of macro-ing appears to be minimal. Being able to embed a lot of dice rolls and text together is a huge help for online gaming - for example, having a button for "Slam" that automatically does - Monster Name: Slam - (Rolled #) vs AC for (Rolled #) damage and pushed 1 square. That's a simple minimum amount. That said, I suspect it's easy to add, but at the moment any roll is its own little thing without great identifying text and limited ability to customize the output.

That said, allowing full options would be better. For example, I've started putting more programmatic macros in my adventures - like a beholder should be able to have a random eye ray button that rolls a random eye ray, then executes the appropriate ray.

In Maptool I can import any graphic I want for map or token, or even status symbol that I enable on tokens.

The clincher, obviously, is that it needs integration with the compendium and character builder. With that, it gets immense mileage over a lot of other VTTs by virtue of ease of introduction.

Anyhow, not a bad early showing, but I hope they've got some experienced folks helping to direct them on setting up base templates for monsters and PCs to import into.

renau1g

First Post
What is the specific error? I know I had issues at first due to pop-ups. What browser are you using?

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 174.143.239.246:8543."

FF 3.6.12

Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address http://vrt.wizards.com/secure/launch.php?challengeId=30862, which is currently unavailable

Opera

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

IE7

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 174.143.239.246:8543."

FF 3.6.12

Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address http://vrt.wizards.com/secure/launch.php?challengeId=30862, which is currently unavailable

Opera

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

IE7

Did you get a login screen for the VTT credentials? If so, make sure that you do NOT click the checkbox to remember credentials. I don't know why, but that screwed me up too.

I'm currently at work, but when I get home, I will happily look and see if I can help you further.

Remove ads